Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 05:20:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposal for self-pruning Blockchain  (Read 2448 times)
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4681

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 03:06:41 PM

No need to be so finicky about the terminologies.

What the OP suggest is to introduce a snapshot block or blocks in the blockchain. Regular blocks are tx which are essentially delta changes to the UTXO set (he calls it accounts). Once in a while, he wants to flatten and write a snapshot. In the process, if some UTXOs are too small, he would discard them turning them into fees. Of course it's a protocol change but it's not impossible to do.

A couple of things to consider though:
- these snapshots will be huge. Even if you do it while blocks are being processed they will need to be mined and properly rewarded.
- they could be a downtime while these blocks are produced but you could mix snapshot UTXOs & normal tx though.

Not a big problem and it's done in a few applications but at the moment, the blockchain growth is not a big deal. Even if you think the block size grows linearly, the accumulated blockchain only grows quadratically - not exponentially.
Besides trimming spent tx introduces other problems for deterministic wallets.

Btw, it's not a new idea and has been mentioned a zillion times.

I'm not sure that what the OP is suggesting is what you think he is suggesting, but if he is then what is the benefit of his method over the method in the original whitepaper since both methods will need to store the all transactions that still belong to the UTXO and can remove all the rest of the transactions?

It seems that his method adds additional complexity with minimal (if any) benefit.
hhanh00

Activity: 467
Merit: 266

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 03:21:42 PM
Last edit: January 05, 2015, 07:29:16 PM by hhanh00

I'm not sure that what the OP is suggesting is what you think he is suggesting, but if he is then what is the benefit of his method over the method in the original whitepaper since both methods will need to store the all transactions that still belong to the UTXO and can remove all the rest of the transactions?

It seems that his method adds additional complexity with minimal (if any) benefit.
Removing the spent TXO locally is done by most (all?) clients. It doesn't help a new joiner unless there is some additional security. Basically, if I ask from an unknown party for his UTXO set, I cannot be sure that he returned the complete set. Surely I can detect tampering because I will verify the merkle tree but he may be omitting txs. On the other hand, if the snapshot is part of the blockchain, there will be POW associated.

bcearl

Activity: 168
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 05:42:59 PM

self-pruning is bad, the entire idea behind bitcoin is having an eternal and intact ledger with all the info for reconstruction of all transactions ever executed.

The strengths of SHA256 will not be eternal.

Misspelling protects against dictionary attacks NOT
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: