Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC  (Read 2202 times)
rupy (OP)

Activity: 725
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 03, 2012, 05:17:30 PM

I think that if ASIC's are sold to BFL pricing/performance/delivery leads there will be a new coin (or bitcoin will change) that uses some other hashing, say SHA512 and the whole community will switch to that within a week?!

BANKBOOK GWT Wallet & no-FIAT Billing API
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 03, 2012, 05:18:19 PM

Nope.
Philj

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2012, 05:42:56 PM

not going to happen. sha256 would have to be truly broken before bitcoin switches
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2012, 06:12:40 PM

and the whole community will switch to that within a week?!
Um, no. Simple changes to the protocol take months. Difficult, compatibility-breaking, unjustified changes would take years. So would getting the entire economy to move to an alt coin.

ASIC equipment available to the public is good for Bitcoin.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
July 03, 2012, 06:16:10 PM

Um, no. Simple changes to the protocol take months. Difficult, compatibility-breaking, unjustified changes would take years. So would getting the entire economy to move to an alt coin.

Only if it is truly available to the public, or if whoever receives it first chooses to use it for the good of Bitcoin.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
rupy (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2012, 07:05:29 PM

We'll see, atleast I know I'm going to use my FPGA's for something so it will probably be some kind of hashing... I will build my own coin if thats what it takes...

You are so sure that it's good to lock us into SHA256?

Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 03, 2012, 07:23:04 PM

We'll see, atleast I know I'm going to use my FPGA's for something so it will probably be some kind of hashing... I will build my own coin if thats what it takes...

The SHA-3 winner will be announced later this year. It would be cool to build a coin on that. I think it's going to be quite a while before SHA-256 is compromised, so Bitcoin is fine for now. But probably a switch to something else will be needed eventually.

http://www.drdobbs.com/security/finding-the-new-encryption-standard-sha-/231700137 
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2012, 07:33:13 PM

ASIC doesn't lock Bitcoin into SHA256, it just means that switching to a new hash function should be gradual over several years.

Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
rupy (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2012, 08:16:34 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2012, 08:35:50 PM by rupy

Eh, ASIC totally locks the whole global bitcoin mining equipment into SHA256, which will be millions of dollars worth of hardware. Say somebody breaks SHA256 and 99% are mining with ASIC then bitcoin is dead.

Switching gradually? How do you suggest doing that?

EDIT: We should move towards making bitcoin MORE flexible/scalable in the core (change hashing algorithm (on the fly?) and transaction speed) instead of focusing on stuff like BIP16/17...

Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2012, 09:04:44 PM

Eh, ASIC totally locks the whole global bitcoin mining equipment into SHA256, which will be millions of dollars worth of hardware. Say somebody breaks SHA256 and 99% are mining with ASIC then bitcoin is dead.

EDIT: We should move towards making bitcoin MORE flexible/scalable in the core (change hashing algorithm (on the fly?) and transaction speed) instead of focusing on stuff like BIP16/17...

If there is a significant risk of someone breaking SHA256 ... then ... you could start a new thread about it, hopefully with a descriptive title.
rupy (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2012, 09:52:48 PM

You're missing the point, ASIC's are good for bitcoin if bitcoin was perfect. But it needs to change and silicone doesn't change. You need to keep it in software until it can scale and is prooven. Going ASIC now is a poor choice. We're only at the beginning of crypto currencies.

rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 03, 2012, 10:15:06 PM

You're missing the point, ASIC's are good for bitcoin if bitcoin was perfect. But it needs to change and silicone doesn't change. You need to keep it in software until it can scale and is prooven. Going ASIC now is a poor choice. We're only at the beginning of crypto currencies.
Please describe the imperfections in Bitcoin that make this a bad idea.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
rupy (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2012, 11:03:56 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2012, 11:26:58 PM by rupy

1) You need to be able to switch hashing algorithm and block chain for proof of work only on the fly. Allowing for ANY and ALL kinds of crypto currency on the same platform.
   b) You should build in "p2pool" into the protocol to avoid pooling.

2) Transaction scalability sucks, basically the block chain shouldn't record transactions, but the account balance should be stored in the p2p cluster but not in the block chain. See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91397.0.

These two above should be 2 completely separate applications. One for mining and one for transactions. (of course the mining application will need the transaction application to work but not the other way around, which is the whole point!)

Using a block chain as proof of work with an adaptive difficulty is a good and pretty proven concept though proving the rarity needed for any store of value.

Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
July 03, 2012, 11:42:53 PM

Just something odd about this type of assumption, but I don't know enough about ASIC's to really give an adequate answer.

I'm going to have to respond with, What nobody agrees with p2pool integrated into the protocol and still use the current one? 
rupy (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 12:27:12 AM
Last edit: July 04, 2012, 08:11:57 AM by rupy

Just something odd about this type of assumption, but I don't know enough about ASIC's to really give an adequate answer.

I'm going to have to respond with, What nobody agrees with p2pool integrated into the protocol and still use the current one? 
This has nothing to do with ASIC, but just a side flaw of the current bitcoin implementation.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2012, 01:01:07 AM

I would support a coin based on the new SHA-3 winner. While you are at it implement transaction pruning ftw.

I mean if bitcoin is going to move to it eventually why not prepare the road ?

Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2012, 04:17:53 AM
Last edit: July 04, 2012, 05:44:44 AM by Meni Rosenfeld

Hash functions aren't broken overnight. When cracks start to be found in SHA256 we can worry about this.

Change the protocol so a given % of blocks needs to be SHA256 and a different % some other function, and change the percentages gradually. This gives hardware owners less to worry about, and ample time to develop ASIC for the new function.

We should focus on stuff that are relevant now, and defer stuff that will be relevant in decades.

1) You need to be able to switch hashing algorithm and block chain for proof of work only on the fly. Allowing for ANY and ALL kinds of crypto currency on the same platform.
Compatibility-breaking changes aren't made on the fly.

But you have p2pool, so why is it so important to change the protocol?

2) Transaction scalability sucks, basically the block chain shouldn't record transactions, but the account balance should be stored in the p2p cluster but not in the block chain. See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91397.0.

These two above should be 2 completely separate applications. One for mining and one for transactions. (of course the mining application will need the transaction application to work but not the other way around, which is the whole point!)

Using a block chain as proof of work with an adaptive difficulty is a good and pretty proven concept though proving the rarity needed for any store of value.
I don't think you understand how Bitcoin works. Proof-of-work is what secures transactions from double-spending.

Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 04:43:27 AM

This has nothing to do with ASIC, but just a side flaw of the current bitcoin implementation.
Troll alert...... This has nothing to do with ASIC just Bitcoin? (Yet the thread is titled ASIC)

Do you understand the definition of an open-protocol?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: