Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:18:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Think I just solved the pool problem.  (Read 19106 times)
rezin777

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 11:44:43 PM

Apparently you misunderstand the point of this thread.

Ok .. never mind .. I'm outy  Smiley

EDIT: /??? just asking but  ..... if one MEGA goes down and the network can not adapt immediately .. then you get delays and a back log of transactions ... so the 'dictatorship' I was referring to was the MEGA that controls the network ... if it glitches, goes down, etc .. and everyone hurts ... Huh so .. am I still wrong about forcing the break up of MEGAs and creating smaller groups being better?Huh

No! You are wrong because you suggested that we want large pools.

so .. ?? deepbit goes down for 30 minutes and the network dies ... and you all want this  Huh? ... 1 HUGE mining groups that dictates ....

This thread is an example of a way to reduce the control a large pool has over the network. The people posting in this thread want many small pools, the same as you. This is why I said you misunderstand the point of this thread.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thefiatfreezone

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2011, 11:48:50 PM

No! You are wrong because you suggested that we want large pools.

This thread is an example of a way to reduce the control a large pool has over the network. The people posting in this thread want many small pools, the same as you. This is why I said you misunderstand the point of this thread.

Ah .. ok ... thank you .. I thought some of you wanted big ones !! made no sense to me ..
much better .. Smiley thank you.
rezin777

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 11:54:36 PM

Ah .. ok ... thank you .. I thought some of you wanted big ones !! made no sense to me ..
much better .. Smiley thank you.

Well, some do want big pools, otherwise they wouldn't join deepbit. They like low variance (not realizing the highest fee costs them more in the long run). And I suspect many of them come from F@H, where you want to be big. I also suspect many of them only care about making easy money, not the health of the Bitcoin network (which is also stupid because the Bitcoin network is what is allowing them to earn easy money).  Angry
thefiatfreezone

Activity: 30

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2011, 11:56:38 PM

Well, some do want big pools, otherwise they wouldn't join deepbit. They like low variance (not realizing the highest fee costs them more in the long run). And I suspect many of them come from F@H, where you want to be big. I also suspect many of them only care about making easy money, not the health of the Bitcoin network.  Angry

So when does the new 'client' come out with the additions/modifications?   and please forgive this .. but what's F@H???
rezin777

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 12:10:55 AM

Well, some do want big pools, otherwise they wouldn't join deepbit. They like low variance (not realizing the highest fee costs them more in the long run). And I suspect many of them come from F@H, where you want to be big. I also suspect many of them only care about making easy money, not the health of the Bitcoin network.  Angry

So when does the new 'client' come out with the additions/modifications?   and please forgive this .. but what's F@H???

Whenever someone writes the code and tests it. F@H is Folding at Home, a distributed computing project. The various groups that "fold" compete to see who can do the most computational work, and the competition is good because it's for a good cause. But that competition doesn't translate well to Bitcoin.
knightmb

Activity: 308
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2011, 03:20:29 AM

While I like the idea of the first post, it seems like the only difference between this type of pool-mining setup and the existing ones is that the BTC generated at the user and then the pool decides how it's divided up, is that correct?

Timekoin - The World's Most Energy Efficient Encrypted Digital Currency
Basiley

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 03:46:59 AM

is anyone communicating with pool managers to depoy such changes ?
cuddlefish (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 04:07:35 AM

While I like the idea of the first post, it seems like the only difference between this type of pool-mining setup and the existing ones is that the BTC generated at the user and then the pool decides how it's divided up, is that correct?

No.

The pool picks the share difficulty and creates the coinbase TX.

The user does the rest.
nanotube

Activity: 482
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2011, 06:32:58 AM
Last edit: May 24, 2011, 03:13:14 AM by nanotube

No.

The user does the rest.

mmm unless something changed in the past 3 pages Smiley, my understanding is quite the contrary.

well, the pool is still in charge of user registration, and assigning addresses to be used in the coinbase by the clients. the creation of coinbase tx, the monitoring of the network and inclusion of transactions into the block, etc, is done client-side.

but then, the distribution of the bounty is based on number of shares submitted by the clients.

Join #bitcoin-market on freenode for real-time market updates.
Join #bitcoin-otc - an over-the-counter trading market. http://bitcoin-otc.com
OTC web of trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/trust.php
My trust rating: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=nanotube
cuddlefish (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 06:56:20 AM

No.

The user does the rest.
the creation of coinbase tx, the monitoring of the network and inclusion of transactions into the block, etc, is done client-side.

I figured doing the coinbase TX on server-side'd make it easier to check.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 09:58:40 PM

This could create strategic problems for pool operators. With the current "plan", it is impossible for the often-foreseen future where merchants can pay a flat monthly "priority fee" to pools and such. So any system which allows the end-miner to control block creation would probably need some kind of way for the pool to say "must include txids <x>, <y>, <z>" as well...

cuddlefish (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 10:13:18 PM

This could create strategic problems for pool operators. With the current "plan", it is impossible for the often-foreseen future where merchants can pay a flat monthly "priority fee" to pools and such. So any system which allows the end-miner to control block creation would probably need some kind of way for the pool to say "must include txids <x>, <y>, <z>" as well...

The pool can reject shares not containing those TXs. However, it /must/ publicize which ones it requires, which is a good thing IMHO.
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 10:21:08 PM
Last edit: May 22, 2011, 10:54:17 PM by goatpig

What about a .conf file capability added to bitcoind that allows to script TX inclusion rules. It doesn't even have to be added to bitcoind. Let's say you add a class that the miner calls, which will include TX according to the .conf file rule, then call the core bitcoin API to create the block header. Then a pool operator can propagate these to his clients, assuming most users won't just be douches and ignore it, since it is directly related to their profits in the long term.

Also, doesn't the network already order the TX by fee? The system described here implies the miners have to inform the pool of the TX they are including, by ID to save bandwidth obviously. The ID linking means the miners are referring to the network propagated list of pending TX, which, if they are ordered by fee, will smooth this whole system a lot.

cuddlefish (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 10:48:05 PM

What about a .conf file capability added to bitcoind that allows to script TX inclusion rules. It doesn't even have to be added to bitcoind. Let's say you add a class that the miner calls, which will include TX according to the .conf file rule, then call the core bitcoin API to pull create the block header. Then a pool operator can propagate these to his clients, assuming most users won't just be douches and ignore it, since it is directly related to their profits in the long term.

The pool can check that the transactions fit the inclusion rules, and reject shares where they don't.
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 10:55:10 PM

The pool can check that the transactions fit the inclusion rules, and reject shares where they don't.

Sure that too.

FairUser

Activity: 1344
Merit: 264

bit.ly/3QXp3oh | Ultimate Launchpad on TON

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 11:38:41 PM

The current system goes something like this:

1. Register for a pool
2. Plug username/pass into miner
3. Miner gets block template from pool, tries random nonces.
4. Miner finds share, sends it to pool. If the share turns out to be a valid block, pool distributes winnings.

But a far better way would be:

1. Register for a pool.
2. Get Bitcoin address for the pool.
3. You run miner on your own local bitcoind.
4. Miner calls getwork on your bitcoind, gets block template YOU create locally! However, it gets the difficulty and generation address from the pool (to allow share-based mining, and to make sure the pool gets paid.)
5. Miner tries random nonces.
6. Miner finds share! Sends it to pool. If the share turns out to be a valid block, pool distributes winnings.

Ta-da. Now, all block generation is done by miners, not by pools, as Satoshi intended. In other words, the pool has /no/ control over the content of blocks! But pools still get block/share based mining, as pools want.

Don't thank me, send me BTC.

I tried this a long time ago....it doesn't work.  If you getwork from your local bitcoind, you can't send it to anyone else's bitcoind, and visa-versa.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

TONUP██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
▄▄███████▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████▄░▄▄▀█████▀▄████▄
▄███████▄▀█▄▀██▀▄███████▄
█████████▄▀█▄▀▄██████████
██████████▄▀█▄▀██████████
██████████▀▄▀█▄▀█████████
▀███████▀▄██▄▀█▄▀███████▀
▀████▀▄█████▄▀▀░▀█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀█████▄
▄██████████▀▀█████▐████▄
██████▀▀████▄▄▀▀█████████
████▄▄███▄██▀█████▐██████
█████████▀██████████████
▀███████▌▐██████▐██████▀
▀███████▄▄███▄████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████▀▀███▀▀███▀▀██▀███▄
████▀███████▀█▀███▀█████
██████████████████████
████▄███████▄█▄███▄█████
▀████▄▄███▄▄███▄▄██▄███▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
JOIN NOW
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████████
cuddlefish (OP)

View Profile
May 22, 2011, 11:43:20 PM

The current system goes something like this:

1. Register for a pool
2. Plug username/pass into miner
3. Miner gets block template from pool, tries random nonces.
4. Miner finds share, sends it to pool. If the share turns out to be a valid block, pool distributes winnings.

But a far better way would be:

1. Register for a pool.
2. Get Bitcoin address for the pool.
3. You run miner on your own local bitcoind.
4. Miner calls getwork on your bitcoind, gets block template YOU create locally! However, it gets the difficulty and generation address from the pool (to allow share-based mining, and to make sure the pool gets paid.)
5. Miner tries random nonces.
6. Miner finds share! Sends it to pool. If the share turns out to be a valid block, pool distributes winnings.

Ta-da. Now, all block generation is done by miners, not by pools, as Satoshi intended. In other words, the pool has /no/ control over the content of blocks! But pools still get block/share based mining, as pools want.

Don't thank me, send me BTC.

I tried this a long time ago....it doesn't work.  If you getwork from your local bitcoind, you can't send it to anyone else's bitcoind, and visa-versa.

Oh yes, no need to radically modify the mining platform, let's just use vanilla bitcoind!

:/
nanotube

Activity: 482
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2011, 04:15:44 AM

Oh yes, no need to radically modify the mining platform, let's just use vanilla bitcoind!

maybe it is simple enough - have the block be sent to your local bitcoind - and your local bitcoind will then broadcast your block to everyone - including the pool node.

of course, everyone but the pool node will reject your difficulty-1 blocks, but the pool node will see them and give you credit for them.

so it seems that modifications necessary to bitcoind are actually quite minimal. (1) configurability to let it set getwork difficulty (2) configurability which nodes to send blocks to (ideally, to prevent network spam, it can be configured to send diff-1 blocks only to the pool's node, not everyone else.)

Join #bitcoin-market on freenode for real-time market updates.
Join #bitcoin-otc - an over-the-counter trading market. http://bitcoin-otc.com
OTC web of trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/trust.php
My trust rating: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=nanotube
goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 07:59:32 AM

maybe it is simple enough - have the block be sent to your local bitcoind - and your local bitcoind will then broadcast your block to everyone - including the pool node.

of course, everyone but the pool node will reject your difficulty-1 blocks, but the pool node will see them and give you credit for them.

so it seems that modifications necessary to bitcoind are actually quite minimal. (1) configurability to let it set getwork difficulty (2) configurability which nodes to send blocks to (ideally, to prevent network spam, it can be configured to send diff-1 blocks only to the pool's node, not everyone else.)

Don't mod bitcoind. Build in a class that your miner will getwork() from. Have some simple pool type detection code. If the pool is classic, the class will bypass its main functions and just deal directly with the pool. If the pool is modded, the class will request the getwork() off of localhost bitcoind with the pool's address, and then upload whatever data it needs to to the pool.

This way both bitcoind and number crunching side of miners will remain untouched. No need for several versions of the same miner either.

BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 12:12:08 PM

You still need a way to get work at a specific difficulty and for a specific public key
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: