Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:41:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Wall Street will most likely never invest much in bitcoin  (Read 1989 times)
Biodom (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3869

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 09:19:13 PM
Last edit: January 05, 2015, 02:00:21 AM by Biodom

1. Bitcoin has to show that it is the dominant crypto platform with a long staying power. However to prove that, it needs large scale buy and hold from wall street, resulting in catch 22 situation.
2. If you look at one of Peter Thiel's videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUMgK0TyV1Q), he talks about supporting monopolies. Bitcoin is an open system, hence no monopoly is likely which we should be happy about.
3. Wall street understands companies, even companies with platforms (Apple, Google, Microsoft, facebook, etc). They do not understand or invest vast sums into platforms that are not associated with one dominant company. Example-Linux and now bitcoin.
4. Cons of bitcoin (from the wall street perspective): bitcoin does not have a single charismatic leader that Wall Street comes to trust (a la Gates, Jobs, Besos, Zuckerberg, Page/Brin).

Conclusion: Wall street will try to build up and promote some crypto 2.0 (ethereum) that is/are associated with certain leaders (Buterin/Wood) or an alternative 1.0 (XRP). We'll see if that works.

Bitcoin has to survive and thrive WITHOUT wall street, as was originally intended.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 09:26:23 PM

If there's a decent bit of money to be made and it's reasonably above board, Wall St would happily trade used tampons.

I don't see why a few of them won't have a dabble in BTC once there's regulation to allow trustworthy/ even more rigged trading.  
Biodom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 09:29:20 PM

If there's a decent bit of money to be made and it's reasonably above board, Wall St would happily trade used tampons.

I don't see why a few of them won't have a dabble in BTC once there's regulation in place. 

not talking about trading chick s... money (a few mils here and there).
Seriously...100% of bitcoin market cap is a few tens % of some messaging app
dakota neat

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 09:30:04 PM

Seriously...100% of bitcoin market cap is a few tens % of some messaging app

That's an opportunity, isn't it?
PolarPoint

Activity: 672

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 09:30:23 PM

The market cap of bitcoin is tiny in wall street scale. Their "not very much" is huge could move bitcoin markets. If there is money to make, they will be in.
Biodom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 01:56:30 AM

The market cap of bitcoin is tiny in wall street scale. Their "not very much" is huge could move bitcoin markets. If there is money to make, they will be in.

They are clearly making a small bit of money on the short side right now, but I am talking about serious money with billions invested.
solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 06:35:53 AM

They are clearly making a small bit of money on the short side right now, but I am talking about serious money with billions invested.

You raise a good point about the company and platform thing. People like a personality cult figure they can rally behind when times are good and blame when times are bad. Who do we praise and villainize when BTC is going or not going the way we like? There is no CEO or board of directors to oust when shareholders are unhappy.
Biodom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 09:37:18 PM

You raise a good point about the company and platform thing. People like a personality cult figure they can rally behind when times are good and blame when times are bad. Who do we praise and villainize when BTC is going or not going the way we like? There is no CEO or board of directors to oust when shareholders are unhappy.

exactly, but nature abhors vacuum, so somebody will step up (please, please let it be someone else and not AA- he is a bit of a preacher type).  
exchanges better move quick to do us a solid for this mess costing us at least 16% decline in value.
Sevvero

Activity: 350
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 09:49:04 PM

Of course they won't. They are not dumb unlike most users of this forum.
semaforo

Activity: 728

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 09:53:34 PM

It's quite plausible that we would see companies working in the bitcoin space trading on Wallstreet at some point. Remember, bitcoin is like the internet.

"How are you going to make money buying and selling the internet. It's far too complicated for ordinary people."

There are people who work on Wallstreet currently involved in bitcoin trading. The market is small enough that iit can be manipulated, which translates to huge profits for some.

It took 20 years between the first use of tcp/ip and the first email, and another 10 years before everyone was using email. Technology keeps accelerating, but it still takes time.
semaforo

Activity: 728

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 09:54:43 PM

Wow, do you ever demonstrate intelligence, or just insult other people's?
Sevvero

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 09:57:25 PM

Yes, I do. Read my previous threads where I told people to sell when price was 300+.

I also made pretty accurate predictions of drop.

Eat a bag of shit, dumb sheeple holder.

I'm laughing with my $ all the way to the bank.

Today I bought my first Rolex.

Something you plebs won't ever experience due to buying into magic beans scam and not wanting to work like normal people.
Ultros

Activity: 471
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 09:59:17 PM

And you're proud of yourself? Poor man..
Sevvero

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 10:00:34 PM

Sour graping this hard...pathetic Bitcoin holder sheep.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 10:03:29 PM

There is a reason why everybody here ignores him Smiley He's an empty shell of a troll. So please stop quoting him, as by doing so you make his garbage visible to everyone.

i am satoshi
Sevvero

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 10:05:35 PM

There is a reason why everybody here ignores him Smiley He's an empty shell of a troll.
>troll
>predicting accurate drops
>telling people to short and sell
>making people who listened money
Whatever you tell yourself, blind cultist.
Ultros

Activity: 471
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 10:15:06 PM

1: I've sold my BTC way before you did, watching the price drop everyday with peace in mind.
2: The only thing a Rolex is proving is that you have very bad tastes.
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 10:21:42 PM

Bitcoin does not need to "prove itself" to anybody, including Wall Street.
Sevvero

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 10:23:46 PM

1: I've sold my BTC way before you did, watching the price drop everyday with peace in mind.
2: The only thing a Rolex is proving is that you have very bad tastes.
Hot women don't agree with you hah
riiiiising

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 10:24:18 PM

There's no underlying value in a bitcoin, so of course wall street isn't going to invest any further than some of the exchange start ups. They know that sheep still need somewhere to go to cash in and out of their digital funbucks, so it's a guaranteed profit model.

You know... in a gold rush, the guy who sells shovels...?

▆▆▆ ▅▅▅ ▃▃▃ ▂▂▂ W H A L E  M A K E R  ▂▂▂ ▃▃▃ ▅▅▅ ▆▆▆
⚫ ⚫ ⚫  A  F U N D R A I S I N G  P L A T F O R M  F O R  M A S S I V E  D I S R U P T I O N  ⚫ ⚫ ⚫
▬▬▬▬▬   ANN Thread      Oceanpaper      Twitter      Telegram   ▬▬▬▬▬
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: