Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:24:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I am the poorest early adopter in the world  (Read 5130 times)
fonenumba

Activity: 411
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 03:52:01 AM

so you could have had like over 10,000 BTC easily...damn...
Probably not from mining (although it would be possible with a large investment). He could have potentially purchased large amounts of bitcoin via gox and/or btc-otc

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 05:38:34 AM

Even by 2011, it is not an easy task to get a couple of bitcoins without setting up a perfessional GPU mining rig. If I remember correctly, a top gaming rig with dual AMD GPU can generate 0.4 BTC per day, a garage filled with 14 motherboard with 3 AMD cards each can get around 10 coins and pay a lot on electricity since the coin worth just a little by then

And running such a setup for 400 days will net you 4000 coins, still not a big fortune like the guy lost 7000+ coins in a hard drive. If you get the coin this hard way, you will try all the best to protect them

Yeah, I remember doing some calcs on mining over the summer of 2011 and deciding it wasn't worth it, unless one *already* had a bunch of solid GPU cards lying around. Mining basically never pencils out unless you have really cheap electricity and/or vastly lower equipment costs than most people.

It's almost always made more sense to just market-buy the bitcoin instead. At least since I've been paying attention.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 05:39:59 AM

how fiercely blue thy mining rigs glow

Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 08:06:53 AM

I have seen photos of some miners that wanted to route the hot air from the gpu rigs throughout the house during the winter and save on AC costs  Wink
BlueTemplar

Activity: 164

Gone for a minute now back again

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 04:14:37 PM

I've considered multiple times to use my desktop computer as a heater in winter to mine bitcoins (since I had electric heating otherwise). But the risk of frying it always made me reconsider.

I might try it now. I heard a Radeon HD 5770 (that I happen to have) is a good graphic card for bitcoin mining. What kind of bitcoin/joule efficiency can you get using it nowadays?
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 04:33:13 PM

Dont be sad, get in Monero (XMR) its actually better overall than Bitcoin and has great chances of repeating its success, its also cheap.

lol. Where do these imbeciles come from?

I can't speak for kazuki49, but I come from the first generation to grow up in the milieu produced by the first wave of cypherpunks and Extropians.

Monero and Ethereum are the next steps in Szatoshi Nickamoto's long-term plan to free humanity from death and taxes, so we may reach the stars.

From where do you 'Buttcoin sucks because fake internet nerd money' Negative Nancy types come?  Some miserable, shitty country behind the Iron Curtain?

Funny that we both registered on the same day!   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 04:34:06 PM

I've considered multiple times to use my desktop computer as a heater in winter to mine bitcoins (since I had electric heating otherwise). But the risk of frying it always made me reconsider.

I might try it now. I heard a Radeon HD 5770 (that I happen to have) is a good graphic card for bitcoin mining. What kind of bitcoin/joule efficiency can you get using it nowadays?
practically zilch. It won't even make as much in a winter as you can get in one day at a faucet I think.

Other cryptocurrencies, "alts" may be marginally worth it, but only in the particular case of displacing electric heating. Scrypt algorythm has been ASICed though, and Scrypt-N is also, therefore no coin using those is going to be worth doing on a GPU either.

For coins that have been "around" a while, i.e. have non-pump and dump valuations, and active user base and development, I'd take a guess that Darkcoin, Feathercoin and DigitalCoin are most worth looking at right now for GPU mining.

For anyone else, unless you have extremely cheap or free electricity, these are not going to break even still.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 04:36:02 PM

practically zilch. It won't even make as much in a winter as you can get in one day at a faucet I think.

Other cryptocurrencies, "alts" may be marginally worth it, but only in the particular case of displacing electric heating. Scrypt algorythm has been ASICed though, and Scrypt-N is also, therefore no coin using those is going to be worth doing on a GPU either.

For coins that have been "around" a while, i.e. have non-pump and dump valuations, and active user base and development, I'd take a guess that Darkcoin, Feathercoin and DigitalCoin are most worth looking at right now for GPU mining.

For anyone else, unless you have extremely cheap or free electricity, these are not going to break even still.

You can easily mine a few XCN per day with a GPU.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=713538.0

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
samuel999

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

CSGOBetGuide.com - Esports Gambling List

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 05:02:39 PM

I think for all the people that made a killing off of cryptocoins, we also have a lot that almost did, or just missed out on it.
Flashman

Hodl!

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 05:18:22 PM

we also have a lot that almost did,

Yah, I tell you what's worse, being aware of opportunity and being prevented from taking advantage of it... had a lot of real world time/attention vampires through summer/fall 2013... from which I could not get away long enough to set up 6 GPUs for litecoin mining, spiked at 0.051/BTC later in year.... could have about tripled what I'm holding now.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
BlueTemplar

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 05:57:45 PM

I'll look into other cryptocurrencies, thanks.

I think for all the people that made a killing off of cryptocoins, we also have a lot that almost did, or just missed out on it.

Well, that's kind of obvious - money invested into bitcoins (or any other currency or financial "instrument") is a zero-sum game : for each $/€/£/¤ that someone "wins" by "taking out", someone has to "put in" and "lose".

The question is whether everyone benefits in general (benefit not counted in money) with bitcoin as a tool for transactions (and much more).
maurya78

Activity: 490

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 08:09:39 PM

That's a really sad story
Console yourself with the knowledge that you are a footnote in history...

giantblckdld

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 08:17:15 PM

Dude I am a fucking poor early adopter.

Dont be sad, get in Monero (XMR) its actually better overall than Bitcoin and has great chances of repeating its success, its also cheap.

True.
MRBONG411

Activity: 639

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 09:52:45 PM

I registered here and started reading and learning about bitcoin in 2011 when they were just $2 each. Max Keiser got me interested in them.

I never did buy any back then and wish I would have at least spent a twenty. I did mine with my laptop graphics card for a bit but didn't get much.

I did try to sell some things on a website called bitcoin classifieds and my items are still up. Never did sell anything but it just goes to show you the value of bitcoin back then.

For just half a bitcoin you could have bought this in 2011 - http://www.bitcoinclassifieds.net/ad/374_Brand_New_Sealed_Secrets_Of_The_Kama_Sutra_DVD/

For just a quarter of a bitcoin you could have gotten one of these fine HD DVDs.

http://www.bitcoinclassifieds.net/ad/413_Brand_New_Sealed_Transformers__2_Disc_Special_Edition_HD_DVD/

http://www.bitcoinclassifieds.net/ad/411_Brand_New_Sealed_The_Bourne_Identity_HD_DVD/

http://www.bitcoinclassifieds.net/ad/412_Brand_New_Sealed_Meet_Joe_Black_HD_DVD/

http://www.bitcoinclassifieds.net/ad/414_Brand_New_Sealed_Blades_Of_Glory_HD_DVD/

BlueTemplar

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 12:31:17 AM

Because an image is better than a thousand posts :
Full MtGoxUSD price data in log scale :
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 06:57:15 PM

I registered here and started reading and learning about bitcoin in 2011 when they were just $2 each. Max Keiser got me interested in them.

I never did buy any back then and wish I would have at least spent a twenty. I did mine with my laptop graphics card for a bit but didn't get much.

I did try to sell some things on a website called bitcoin classifieds and my items are still up. Never did sell anything but it just goes to show you the value of bitcoin back then.

For just half a bitcoin you could have bought this in 2011 - http://www.bitcoinclassifieds.net/ad/374_Brand_New_Sealed_Secrets_Of_The_Kama_Sutra_DVD/

For just a quarter of a bitcoin you could have gotten one of these fine HD DVDs.

http://www.bitcoinclassifieds.net/ad/413_Brand_New_Sealed_Transformers__2_Disc_Special_Edition_HD_DVD/

http://www.bitcoinclassifieds.net/ad/411_Brand_New_Sealed_The_Bourne_Identity_HD_DVD/

http://www.bitcoinclassifieds.net/ad/412_Brand_New_Sealed_Meet_Joe_Black_HD_DVD/

http://www.bitcoinclassifieds.net/ad/414_Brand_New_Sealed_Blades_Of_Glory_HD_DVD/

Wow Transformers 2 is more than 5 years old. How time flies Shocked
ticoti

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:24:16 PM

well, at least that is better than having losing huge amounts
desired_username

Activity: 879
Merit: 1013

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:47:04 PM

lol. Where do these imbeciles come from?

I can't speak for kazuki49, but I come from the first generation to grow up in the milieu produced by the first wave of cypherpunks and Extropians.

Monero and Ethereum are the next steps in Szatoshi Nickamoto's long-term plan to free humanity from death and taxes, so we may reach the stars.

From where do you 'Buttcoin sucks because fake internet nerd money' Negative Nancy types come?  Some miserable, shitty country behind the Iron Curtain?

Funny that we both registered on the same day!   Cheesy

I'm coming from a dimension where people got tired of constantly listening to shitcoin pumps.

Ethereum is not even released, and monero is perfectly tuned to stay in a niche.

I have never said that bitcoin sucks btw, I prefer to use it over any of my other options.
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 07:55:32 PM

Well this is what always happen. Pyramid scheme which is what all how all wealth distributions look like.
Unfortunately we all missed the boat unless 1 coin goes to like 100K, and I have more hopes of something like MaidSafe being more rewarding to invest than invest in Bitcoin at this point. I will still hold what I have but I know i'll never be rich from Bitcoin at sub 10 BTC.
Flashman

Hodl!

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 08:55:04 PM

but I know i'll never be rich from Bitcoin at sub 10 BTC.

Settle for less than 10BTC then, and stand with your legs open in case someone important feels like kicking you in the nuts again, wouldn't want to piss them off by making it difficult.  Wink

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: