Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 03:30:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitstamp - hot wallet problem  (Read 2289 times)
kpitti (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 08:39:29 AM

Today I received note from Bitstamp about some issues with their hot wallet. They stopped procesing withdrawals.

And on top of it:
"You should STOP SENDING bitcoin deposits to your Bitstamp account IMMEDIATELY as private keys of your deposit address may be lost.
Your bitcoins already deposited with us are stored in a cold wallet and can not be affected."

Can anyone confirm the same? Unfortunately I did not sent any bitcoins there, but I am worry little bit now. I trust Bitstamp.
Watoshi-Dimobuto

Activity: 840
Merit: 524

Yes!

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 09:04:31 AM

Today I received note from Bitstamp about some issues with their hot wallet. They stopped procesing withdrawals.

And on top of it:
"You should STOP SENDING bitcoin deposits to your Bitstamp account IMMEDIATELY as private keys of your deposit address may be lost.
Your bitcoins already deposited with us are stored in a cold wallet and can not be affected."

Can anyone confirm the same? Unfortunately I did not sent any bitcoins there, but I am worry little bit now. I trust Bitstamp.

damn it.
Selling my bitcoins... just in case

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2rd2xe/bitstamp_is_apparently_broken_or_hacked_i_suggest/
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/bitcoin-exchange-bitstamp-withdrawals-deposits-stopped-possible-rng-attack/
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 09:10:07 AM

I can confirm that Bitstamp is having some kind of issue with their hot wallets and that at this time, no Bitcoin payments should be sent to any Bitstamp deposit address issued to date.

If you have a Bitcoin address that someone gave you, don't make any payments to that address until you confirm it's not an affected Bitstamp deposit address.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 09:12:39 AM

Well, at least they're dealing with the situation professionally.

Or maybe they're trying to keep you from selling? Might they be out of fiat?
TeraBox

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 11:39:08 AM

Well, at least they're dealing with the situation professionally.

Or maybe they're trying to keep you from selling? Might they be out of fiat?

They are professionals, things like this happened before and they acted responsibly and promptly so nothing to worry about in my opinion.

mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 01:00:37 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2re2pw/18864_coins_stolen_from_stamp_that_doesnt_look/

it seems that they lost millions. 14% from their coins
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 01:30:22 PM

I can confirm that Bitstamp is having some kind of issue with their hot wallets and that at this time, no Bitcoin payments should be sent to any Bitstamp deposit address issued to date.

If you have a Bitcoin address that someone gave you, don't make any payments to that address until you confirm it's not an affected Bitstamp deposit address.

how does affect this the Ripple Gateway of Bitstamp?

Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 01:32:22 PM

Could also be stamp moving coins to safety...
That's probably correct. If those were stolen, I guess Bitstamp would put out an announcement.
They don't have a history of suspicious stuff like MtGox did (yet).
mmitech
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

things you own end up owning you

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 01:37:20 PM
Last edit: January 05, 2015, 01:50:25 PM by mmitech

I doubt it, I see huge fees paid for each transaction, in one case it is 1000 times bigger than the relay fee (0.0001 BTC) they would be really dumb paying 1 BTC to relay a transaction no matter how new and big it is.

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 01:39:45 PM

I doubt it, I see huge fees paid for each transaction, in one case it is 1000 times bigger than the relay fee (0.0001 BTC) they would be really dumb paying 1 BTC to relay a transaction no matter how new and big it is.

Not only were they hacked, but they were hacked by a someone with poor knowledge about Bitcoin.
myohmy81

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 01:48:01 PM

Gox 2.0??

Do working FBI
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 02:52:18 PM

And on top of it:

I heard about they hacked 18k btc.

BTW its should be in service discussion right.
viriat0

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 03:03:27 PM

If this really happened is bad enough, only proves that the security system is not 100% effective.

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 03:06:04 PM

how does affect this the Ripple Gateway of Bitstamp?
At a minimum, they won't be processing issues or redeems until they're operating again. For the moment, the quantity of BTC assets they've issued on Ripple is locked there with no way to issue more or redeem existing ones. The price may change relative to the value of the underlying Bitcoins because of scarcity, uncertainty about when or whether Bitstamp will honor them, and so on. To some extent, you'll be able to judge confidence in Bitstamp's ability to resume operations by comparing the XRP exchange rate of BTC/Bitstamp compared to BTC/SnapSwap.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
demonz

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 04:04:35 PM

this is insane  Shocked . why does this keep happening? I guess history repeats itself
EvilPanda

Activity: 658

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 04:17:32 PM

Don't panic, they are working on restoring the service and said the loss will be covered. I expect them to deal with the problem within 24h.
https://twitter.com/bitstamp

stereotype
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 04:26:11 PM

Don't panic, they are working on restoring the service and said the loss will be covered. I expect them to deal with the problem within 24h.
Where is that stated?
EvilPanda

Activity: 658

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 04:43:14 PM

Where is that stated?

Customer deposits made prior to January 5th, 2015 9:00 UTC are fully covered by Bitstamp’s reserves. Deposits made to newly issued addresses provided after January 5th, 2015 9:00 UTC can be honored.

https://www.bitstamp.net/

stereotype
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 05:23:44 PM

Where is that stated?

Customer deposits made prior to January 5th, 2015 9:00 UTC are fully covered by Bitstamp’s reserves. Deposits made to newly issued addresses provided after January 5th, 2015 9:00 UTC can be honored.

https://www.bitstamp.net/
Yep, i read that, but i didn't interpret the statement, as covering fiat in the account. I spose it could. We will see very soon, i guess. 
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 06:10:48 PM

Bitstamp have been manipulating the price for 12 months.. More bullshit to drive down the price.

I agree with you. They are manipulating the market and not only Bitstamp but another 4-5 big exchangers.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: