Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 11:38:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitstamp issues statement and temporarily suspends service  (Read 8050 times)
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 10:59:43 AM

Kinda of news that will make people lose trust in bitcoin security and its viability as a safe currency as a whole. When new or potential investor read this, they will have doubt about putting their money into bitcoin. Bad news indeed... I wonder amount of btc that has been compromised.  Sad

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 11:16:37 AM

Kinda of news that will make people lose trust in bitcoin security and its viability as a safe currency as a whole. When new or potential investor read this, they will have doubt about putting their money into bitcoin. Bad news indeed... I wonder amount of btc that has been compromised.  Sad

Yeah, you are right, this is very bad PR. And the saddest thing about it is that Bitcoin itself isn't flawed at all. The core technology doesn't have anything to do with these breaches and robberies. Bitcoin itself was, and will always be, safe.

GGGGG

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 11:21:53 AM

WTH?? The ship can start sinking too fast...
Cummins59

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 11:29:55 AM

I like bitcoin but believe it is dying and will be worthless. The reason is that there is ZERO security, ZERO public knowledge, ZERO advertising and ZERO good news. Combine this with Apple Pay whom basically took the btc idea and ran with it. Forget the "fiat" currency BS. The losses that the masses of btc owners have incurred over the last year would take eternity to recover. Too many scammers and with the cost of electricity and difficulty and ZERO profits, the entire attraction of btc is GONE. All the cloud miners are worthless. It's has more signs of a demise than any currency or commodity out there. I am cashing out and hitting the small cap miners.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1559

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 11:31:12 AM

Massive price drop followed by major exchange's problems, doesn't look good indeed. It's just a matter of time till the major news start reporting on it.

But on the other hand, if the amount compromised is not significant and BitStamp is able to cover it from its own funds (+ identify the cause and fix the problem), that could actually add to their trust and show they're serious business and can cope with difficulties.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 11:31:44 AM

I like bitcoin but believe it is dying and will be worthless. The reason is that there is ZERO security, ZERO public knowledge, ZERO advertising and ZERO good news. […] I am cashing out

Can I get your coins at ZERO cost? Thanks!
HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 11:33:06 AM

I like bitcoin but believe it is dying and will be worthless. The reason is that there is ZERO security, ZERO public knowledge, ZERO advertising and ZERO good news. Combine this with Apple Pay whom basically took the btc idea and ran with it. Forget the "fiat" currency BS. The losses that the masses of btc owners have incurred over the last year would take eternity to recover. Too many scammers and with the cost of electricity and difficulty and ZERO profits, the entire attraction of btc is GONE. All the cloud miners are worthless. It's has more signs of a demise than any currency or commodity out there. I am cashing out and hitting the small cap miners.

Bitcoin itself is completely safe. There hasn't been a single theft due to mistakes or errors in the core protocol! Apple Pay has almost nothing to do with Bitcoin. Bitcoin thrives to be a separate currency with a completely different foundation. Apple pay is merely a payment system used on top of credit cards. It has nothing to do with being a currency that is backed by a trustless and decentralized consesus-system.

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 11:36:51 AM

WTH?? The ship can start sinking too fast...

True. I used to be really depressed about the price drop- but now I'm rather excited. Bitcoin itself isn't going anywhere- the prospect of honestly cheap coins is quite exciting to me.

more or less retired.
Bitalo_Martin

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 11:42:29 AM

there are highly sophisticated solutions available, for example bitalo.com where site owers simply do not have access to the bitcoins at all

user-side generated private keys that are fully encrypted on user side and where coins are stored in multi-signature wallets with a backup transaction so that you get the coins out, even when the service is completely offline. In this case you also do not need any "audit", because the audit is simply checking the blockchain if your coins are there or not.
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 11:45:51 AM

I like bitcoin but believe it is dying and will be worthless. The reason is that there is ZERO security, ZERO public knowledge, ZERO advertising and ZERO good news. […] I am cashing out

Can I get your coins at ZERO cost? Thanks!

yes but your going to have to pay

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 12:09:16 PM

Wallet Breach Causes Bitcoin Exchange Bitstamp to Temporarily Suspend Service

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/wallet-breach-causes-bitcoin-exchange-bitstamp-to-temporarily-suspend-service/
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 12:12:55 PM

and it seems they have a problem with their  bank account too....
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 12:26:07 PM

Stop with the FUD.  Bitcoin is not bitstamp or mtgox etc. 

Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 12:32:36 PM

They are handling this incident good Smiley im happy with them still
mayax
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 12:34:45 PM

They are handling this incident good Smiley im happy with them still

yeap but many people will still lose a lot of money from the Bitcoin depreciation.
Lordoftherigs

Activity: 313

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 12:35:17 PM

Bitstamp Service Temporarily Suspended

We have reason to believe that one of Bitstamp’s operational wallets was compromised on January 4th, 2015.

As a security precaution against compromises Bitstamp only maintains a small fraction of customer bitcoins in online systems. Bitstamp maintains more than enough offline reserves to cover the compromised bitcoins.

IN THE MEANTIME, PLEASE DO NOT MAKE DEPOSITS TO PREVIOUSLY ISSUED BITCOIN DEPOSIT ADDRESSES. THEY CANNOT BE HONORED!

Customer deposits made prior to January 5th, 2015 9:00 UTC are fully covered by Bitstamp’s reserves. Deposits made to newly issued addresses provided after January 5th, 2015 9:00 UTC can be honored.

Bitstamp takes our security and soundness very seriously. In an excess of caution, we are suspending service as we continue to investigate. We will return to service and amend our security measures as appropriate.

Bitstamp Team

Seems fine to me
mayax
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 12:37:30 PM

yes, it is an honest announcement BUT the problem remains. Bitcoin price will go down and many people will lose a lot of money today.
The China market will react tomorrow when a lot of chineses will sell
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 12:54:23 PM

That's always a problem with centralized exchanges, you never know what is happening behind the scene, everything that published could be a make-up story

The problem is people's mindset has not changed to decentralized way of thinking, they usually seek a centralized organization for security and convenience, and this behavior might not change in generations

Lordoftherigs

Activity: 313

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 12:56:15 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2re2pw/18864_coins_stolen_from_stamp_that_doesnt_look/
mayax
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 12:59:43 PM

we are talking about 14% of their coins lost ? pffff... Smiley
a lot of money lost. millions !
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: