Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:49:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitstamp 18,000 bitcoins stolen? -confirmed  (Read 14986 times)
asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 10:50:33 AM

Will bitstamp ever come back online after this?

yes

yes yes and yes. If you didn't notice this yet, here a link-->https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=919036.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
freebit13

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 12:44:52 PM

Bitcoin was supposed to be decentralized, but people flocked almost entirely to a single exchange
Lips sealed
Inform yourself before making stupid comments: http://bitcoinity.org/markets/list
 Roll Eyes

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
poncho32

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 01:07:14 PM

Bitcoin was supposed to be decentralized, but people flocked almost entirely to a single exchange
Lips sealed
Inform yourself before making stupid comments: http://bitcoinity.org/markets/list
 Roll Eyes

Yup, seems to be plenty of exchanges that people are using.

http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcoin/#markets

sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 05:25:07 PM

OK, so after BitStamp was hacked, people have been posting posts over posts and threads over threads about it and even making scam accusations about the exchange. Some even called it the next Gox. But all of a sudden all threads have gone silent after the exchange came back online just fine, within a small time window.

No problem.

At least I would take this opportunity to actually give some postive feedback to BitStamp team who worked hard and delivered on my personal expectations after the hack. They made sure to keep the users informed of the progress via Twitter too. And they surely didn't "Gox". I have an account with them and thankfully I didn't lose anything because I had emptied my balance in September but in future I'm gonna trust them as good as I did previously - or even more than that, because I'm sure their security is now far better than what they had before. And they mean serious business.

They're here to stay and make Bitcoin ecosystem better.

Kudos to team BitStamp.

I'm sure many of you won't agree with me, but this is just my opinion, and you have yours.
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 05:35:48 PM

OK, so after BitStamp was hacked, people have been posting posts over posts and threads over threads about it and even making scam accusations about the exchange. Some even called it the next Gox. But all of a sudden all threads have gone silent after the exchange came back online just fine, within a small time window.

No problem.

At least I would take this opportunity to actually give some postive feedback to BitStamp team who worked hard and delivered on my personal expectations after the hack. They made sure to keep the users informed of the progress via Twitter too. And they surely didn't "Gox". I have an account with them and thankfully I didn't lose anything because I had emptied my balance in September but in future I'm gonna trust them as good as I did previously - or even more than that, because I'm sure their security is now far better than what they had before. And they mean serious business.

Since you brought it up:
1.  The "small window" was a business week.
2.  No confirmed fiat withdrawals.
3.  No [previously promised] audits => fractional reserve possible.
4.  Re. "better security":  As long as you're sure.

TL;DR: Let's not start stroking them just yet.
poncho32

Activity: 316

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 05:41:45 PM

No problem.

Since you brought it up:
1.  The "small window" was a business week.
2.  No confirmed fiat withdrawals.
3.  No [previously promised] audits => fractional reserve possible.
4.  Re. "better security":  As long as you're sure.

They cannot start processing fiat withdrawals until Monday when the banks open.
Pustul

Activity: 350

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 05:50:06 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2015, 06:07:11 PM by Pustul

Why would they process btc withdrawal but not fiat? You could just convert your $$ to btc, withdraw them and exchange them elsewhere.

With that said, I'm still waiting for my btc withdrawal to process...
EDIT: Received Smiley
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 06:05:30 PM

No problem.

Since you brought it up:
1.  The "small window" was a business week.
2.  No confirmed fiat withdrawals.
3.  No [previously promised] audits => fractional reserve possible.
4.  Re. "better security":  As long as you're sure.

1. OK, but does it matter? They need their time, if it's a busines wekk or not
2. Let's wait until working business day - Monday
3. Agree with you - I have no idea

4. I'm believing in this:
Updates to the exchange service include a migration to Amazon's AWS cloud infrastructure, new hardware systems and the integration of BitGo's multi-signature wallet technology.
Source
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 06:15:55 PM

4. I'm believing in this:
Updates to the exchange service include a migration to Amazon's AWS cloud infrastructure, new hardware systems and the integration of BitGo's multi-signature wallet technology.
Source

But that alone definitely does not mean better security, it's just some reassuring words for now. Migrate a complicated project to a completely new cloud infrastructure in under a week, which have it's own quirks and gotchas including new rule-based security and ephemeral storages, while also changing the underlying transaction signing technology, I wonder what could go wrong? For comparison, banks take months if not years for a similar change of software. Yeah, bitcoin is much better fitted for software than banking, but there are still countless ways they could've fucked up, week is too short for proper implementation & testing.

i am satoshi
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]  All
  Print  

Jump to: