Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 03:54:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitstamp became Mt.Gox?  (Read 2922 times)
BTCIndia (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

vini, vedi, no vici.

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 11:14:34 AM

Bitcoin Exchange BitStamp Stops Services; RNG Attack Suspected.

http://newsbtc.com/2015/01/05/bitcoin-exchange-bitstamp-stops-services-rng-attack-suspected/

Please someone explain technicalities mentioned. Already goxxed once and now, don't wish to go bankrupt.  

He's Nick Sazbo from Washington. I've my answer. Or Hal? :O
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 10:17:24 PM

http://newsbtc.com/2015/01/05/bitcoin-exchange-bitstamp-stops-services-rng-attack-suspected/

Please someone explain technicalities mentioned. Already goxxed once and now, don't wish to go bankrupt.  

Around 19k BTC lost. After being Goxed, you have been Stamped. Wink

polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 12:18:48 AM

Reinforces the fact that you should not use exchanges for storing bitcoins.
Send bitcoins to the exchange just before you sell them and withdraw immediately after you buy.
If you get goxed in the interim period, you are unlucky.
Fernandez
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:59:16 AM

Very different cases. Gox was operating beyond their means for a long time and it was painfully obvious. Anyone who kept their funds there inspite of the issues have nothing to complain about.

Bitstamp's was non-preventable by the customers. They will be back but I doubt anyone will trust them.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Equate

Activity: 770

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 06:57:44 PM

Whether people store coins in offline or online wallets but still these events will keep on happening as many people do trade on these exchanges and anyone can be vulnerable .The onus is on these exchanges to beef up their security rather than just profitting on people's money and waiting for hack attacks.
arvindr

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 08:11:14 PM

Bitstamp promised to refund coins , and is now back in operation. So it wasn't goxxed.

Fernandez
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 02:07:24 AM

Bitstamp promised to refund coins , and is now back in operation. So it wasn't goxxed.

Thats very bold. Exchanges must be several orders more profitable than I thought if they feel they can reimburse this amount of Bitcoins.
I see they have introduced multisig. At least they are learning.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 09:14:52 AM

Thats very bold. Exchanges must be several orders more profitable than I thought if they feel they can reimburse this amount of Bitcoins.

Are they allowing to withdraw coins/funds ?

arvindr

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 12:21:44 PM

Yes, I think they have resumed operations on a whole. The only reason they would have paused those would be to investigate the hacking cause.
However, it might be a publicity move to claim being hacked, so as to create publicity and free advertisement, then fix it and come out as good.
Then immediately, implementing multisig so now people know its super safe and people trading on other exchanges would move to bitstamp.
Just speculating Tongue
But it could always be possible. I just didn't think that they would keep 18K BTC on the hotwallet, and let it be hacked .

BTCIndia (OP)

Activity: 686

vini, vedi, no vici.

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 03:03:20 PM

But it could always be possible. I just didn't think that they would keep 18K BTC on the hotwallet, and let it be hacked .

Its like State Bank of India head office in medium size town keeping few billion dollar at disposal.

He's Nick Sazbo from Washington. I've my answer. Or Hal? :O
Fernandez
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 05:56:01 AM

Yes, I think they have resumed operations on a whole. The only reason they would have paused those would be to investigate the hacking cause.
However, it might be a publicity move to claim being hacked, so as to create publicity and free advertisement, then fix it and come out as good.
Then immediately, implementing multisig so now people know its super safe and people trading on other exchanges would move to bitstamp.
Just speculating Tongue

No, I believe they were hacked. The stolen coins are public and can be tracked for now.
I doubt this kind of publicity helps. Customers will stay away from there unless absolutely necessary.

Troonetpt

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 10:45:33 AM

No, it has come back.
polynesia
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 02:44:41 PM

Just speculating Tongue

Bad publicity can be disastrous for a business which runs on trust!
arvindr

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 11:34:03 PM

Just speculating Tongue

Bad publicity can be disastrous for a business which runs on trust!

True, but the whole trust thing gets fixed after not affecting any users and offering multisig now .
Anyways, it was just a speculation . I don't in anyway mean thats what they did.

stellar69

Activity: 196

View Profile
January 24, 2015, 02:06:16 PM

Bitstamp has said that this was a small hack and no one will loose any coins as bitstamp is willing to bear the cost. So do we still need to worry?
chronicsky
Legendary

Activity: 2814
Merit: 1222

Just looking for peace

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2015, 05:39:13 PM

oh! bitstamp was down ? and is Up again
Never knew :-/
Though it's good to see a exchange which came up good Smiley
polynesia
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 12:34:40 AM

They lost a few coins. Nothing to make them go under, though.
chronicsky
Legendary

Just looking for peace

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2015, 04:40:36 AM

They lost coins ? or the users?
stellar69

Activity: 196

View Profile
January 27, 2015, 10:47:19 AM

First they lost the coins and because they lost coins, they lost some users too. They are tying to get earn back people's trust by providing them with 0% fee trades and they said that no one will loose his money.
chronicsky
Legendary

Just looking for peace

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2015, 05:54:47 PM

First they lost the coins and because they lost coins, they lost some users too. They are tying to get earn back people's trust by providing them with 0% fee trades and they said that no one will loose his money.

Okay! Quite good incentive they took there , so to keep their customer's . At a time where BTC is much volatile , we can't afford to see one more Mt. Gox
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: