Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:35:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Debating on getting into mining  (Read 2812 times)
conteaza

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 06:02:52 PM

Hi all,

I became interested in bitcoin mining after my friend told me about it a few years back.  I did some research and found out that I'd have to invest quite a bit of money in order to make a profit on my investment.  I was wondering if you guys could give me some insight on how to get started, what I should buy (I found an antminer s4 2000 gh/s bitcoin miner for roughly $1000 and thought this might be good), how much, when, and if I would make a profit on my investment, the benefits of joining a pool and what I would need to do so, the cheapest option I can buy to still make a good profit on my investment, and if this is overall a good idea or not.
Thanks
You should start mining after your friend told you about bitcoin ,now is useless ,better buy some
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3234

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 07:02:22 PM

Better would be invest BTC in BTC mining services - there are a lot of companies out there  Grin
Not all None of them are legit.
Be careful.
FTFY
Thanks  Cheesy , what about cex.io ?

cex.io and some others may be legitimate, but they are also unprofitable.

For example, cex.io's maintenance fee for 1 TH/s is about 0.0128 BTC per day, but 1 TH/s generates only about 0.0124 BTC per day (at the current difficulty).

This is not unusual, because the cloud mining business model doesn't make sense. Basically, why would someone mine bitcoins for you at a discount when they could just keep them?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 10:38:22 PM

Personally I prefer having gear over cloud.   If you have decent electricity I still like mining.   It is something that i love doing at this point.  Started at end of GPU day's and been doing it ever sense.
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2015, 05:02:48 PM

Better would be invest BTC in BTC mining services - there are a lot of companies out there  Grin

Too many mining service like ponzi scheme, who come first they will serve, And who came late they gone Grin
iqbal14st

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 04:50:39 AM

Unless you're able to have this multi million dollar setup in Washington State, you shouldn't get into mining:

Ideal situations entail decent BTC price(NOPE), cheap electricity like $0.05 kW/HouR(NOPE for 99% of the country), cheap miners bought in bulk(NOPE if you don't have a few million to invest)...so yea, that should answer your question.

Holy... Do you know who owns this?

mining places where it ??
if you can menshare his link?

[=($)=]
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 02:33:51 PM

Unless you're able to have this multi million dollar setup in Washington State, you shouldn't get into mining:

Ideal situations entail decent BTC price(NOPE), cheap electricity like $0.05 kW/HouR(NOPE for 99% of the country), cheap miners bought in bulk(NOPE if you don't have a few million to invest)...so yea, that should answer your question.

If you read the entire thread you'd see I posted that this was Dave Carlson of Megabigpower's mine in Washington.

http://www.coindesk.com/megabigpower-launches-global-franchisee-network-add-50phs-per-month-bitcoin-network/

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
MacAndSwiss

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 03:41:01 AM

Yeah, if you have a decent amount of money (and free electricity), then go on ahead mining with your equipment.

However, I've been told by many a people that cloud mining might be a little more simple to set up.
mirjangka

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 03:50:14 AM

i stop all my btc miner

since electricity cost is high at my city

impossible to get profit for me

just a suggestion for you : better you buy BTC and keep it until price high

forget about home mining Smiley

Bifta

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 03:58:05 AM

Ok thanks guys.  I'm glad I didn't invest all that money in something that might not be profitable. I'm going to take a look at litecoin for now and see if mining that holds any rewards.
stay away from litecoin it's dying lol. you should buy bitcoin(price is low) and hodl...
Agree, stay away Litecoin and Bitcoin they're slowly dying, maybe some altcoin will be good.
iqbal14st

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 04:47:31 AM

If you read the entire thread you'd see I posted that this was Dave Carlson of Megabigpower's mine in Washington.

http://www.coindesk.com/megabigpower-launches-global-franchisee-network-add-50phs-per-month-bitcoin-network/

whether cloud mining reliable Huh

[=($)=]
mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 06:28:06 AM

Just to give you the harsh reality that most will probably will overlook and face is the maintenance to these miners.

Like how much electricity it costs to keep them on-going, and what do you do when bitcoin prices are this low? these are some of the things you have to consider.
BitcoinFreak12

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 07:55:32 AM

My country sure doesnt support bitcoin mining, we have like 6 taxes on the electricity  Sad

Plus since the problems with Russia and oil, now they are raising the costs.

I think Iceland has the lowest energy prices there, or find one with a good government and small electricity taxes.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 02:06:34 PM

To all the Noobs, there's a saying or proverb or whatever in Bitcoin mining land:

"When the price of Bitcoin is high, you mine, when it's low, you Buy and HODL."

I don't know if that's the exact wording, but the gist of it holds true even to this day.

High and Low are all relative I know, but I'd say relative to the lifetime price history of BTC, maybe anything lower than a $600 Bitcoin is considered low and anything higher than that is considered high.

Mining for $200-$300 Bitcoins is no fun, especially when your Mom finds out you spiked the electric bill and blew a circuit in her basement.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
silvestar
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 02:11:40 PM

Ok thanks guys.  I'm glad I didn't invest all that money in something that might not be profitable. I'm going to take a look at litecoin for now and see if mining that holds any rewards.
stay away from litecoin it's dying lol. you should buy bitcoin(price is low) and hodl...
Agree, stay away Litecoin and Bitcoin they're slowly dying, maybe some altcoin will be good.

Not sure about litecoin, but bitcoin isn't slowly dying.
In fact, bitcoin is making improvements continuously, and none of the hundreds of altcoins out there has an acceptance and popularity level similar to bitcoin, not even close.
Superhitech
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 07:11:53 AM

Currently you shouldn't mine at home unless it's a hobby, if you are looking to profit don't expect much, as home mining isn't very profitable currently. Instead, invest in a cloud mining site, but make sure that it's a legit cloud mining site, not a ponzi.
ViciousPlayer

Activity: 48

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 08:04:18 AM

I would avoid mining. The trouble is the difficulty can keep going up and you may have a return of 60% - 80% and you keep at the rate seemingly in perpetuity, slowly inching your way back up to under 100%. Then you factor in electricity and the ROI doesn't ever seem to get you back to square one.
gkv9
Legendary

Activity: 1246

!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 05:14:48 PM

Don't go for mining as after reward halving, and even based on current rewards and current price and difficulty, it's next to impossible in order to make any ROI based on each factor that will needed to get considered when it comes to mining, such as electricity, mining hardware cost, efficiency of your hardware, cost/GH/s, etc...

GreatWinter

Activity: 30

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 10:15:28 PM

Does anyone have more numbers on that warehouse guy? I would be interested to know more.

I don't think getting is a good idea now. The electricity bill you run up will make it not worth your while.
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 11:34:43 PM

Currently you shouldn't mine at home unless it's a hobby, if you are looking to profit don't expect much, as home mining isn't very profitable currently. Instead, invest in a cloud mining site, but make sure that it's a legit cloud mining site, not a ponzi.

Even legit cloud mining service is not going to necessarily bring you more than a ROI. Be careful with mining in general. In this age and day the best option is to speculate with altcoins and holding bitcoin.
mirjangka

Activity: 154

Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 01:37:15 AM

Even legit cloud mining service is not going to necessarily bring you more than a ROI. Be careful with mining in general. In this age and day the best option is to speculate with altcoins and holding bitcoin.

agree with you sir

buy btc hlod it until 10 years later Smiley

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: