Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 09:46:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Finding old coins -- tips needed -- anyone know of coins used for WoW?  (Read 1015 times)
BruceFenton (OP)

Activity: 404
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 03:00:44 PM

A business associate knows I'm involved with Bitcoin and said that he and his son bought some bitcoins to use to pay for items in World of Warcraft quite some time back....perhaps 2010 or so.

They forgot about them until last year as they realized they could conceivably have hundreds of coins somewhere.

They don't recal any other details other than that they bought Bitcoin.

I told them to search the hard drive for wallets etc.

I'd like to give them a list of files to search for or other clues.

Also -- does anyone recall an early Bitcoin platform involving wow?

Please list any ideas and exactly what might help them search the hard drive.
michaeladair

Activity: 448

I'm a Web Developer: HTML, CSS, PHP, JS.

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 03:04:03 PM

They may have had them on an online wallet or possibly a wallet program that they deleted.... It'd be a shame to lose all that bitcoin.

Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 03:39:45 PM

A business associate knows I'm involved with Bitcoin and said that he and his son bought some bitcoins to use to pay for items in World of Warcraft quite some time back....perhaps 2010 or so.

They forgot about them until last year as they realized they could conceivably have hundreds of coins somewhere.

They don't recal any other details other than that they bought Bitcoin.

I told them to search the hard drive for wallets etc.

I'd like to give them a list of files to search for or other clues.

Also -- does anyone recall an early Bitcoin platform involving wow?

Please list any ideas and exactly what might help them search the hard drive.
If they have had their computer repaired(reinstalled operating system) chances are their coins are long gone.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Mortimer452

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 06:00:51 PM

If they bought them for use in WoW I'm doubtful it was Bitcoin - especially that long ago.  I'm guessing it was some other sort of "game money"
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2015, 03:06:40 AM

If they bought them for use in WoW I'm doubtful it was Bitcoin - especially that long ago.  I'm guessing it was some other sort of "game money"
I would have to agree.  I would try work out where they bought them from first. eBay etc.  2010 there weren't too many places to buy BTC with.
BruceFenton (OP)

Activity: 404

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 02:19:39 PM

Thanks guys.

What is a good search they can do on the hard drive?
freebit13

Activity: 616

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 02:28:30 PM

search for a wallet.dat file... it's your best bet...

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 02:32:42 PM

First thing, do not run the OS installed on the harddrive you want to search, it writes stuff all the time, and could bury something that could be undeleted.

Hook up drive to different computer, do a simple search for wallet.dat

No joy?

Then get serious.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_digital_forensics_tools

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 03:13:57 PM

I have not heard of any virtual items platform using bitcoins to pay for items in WoW. Inspect the hdd carefully for leftover files.
Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 03:19:20 PM

I believe there had been some sites where WoWgold or items could be bought directly in the past, but the WoW devs did their best to have them shut down.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 03:29:01 PM

I'm not aware of any which were operating that early. He probably would've been buying in IRC's OTC room or using this forum. It's very unlikely any website's holding them. He likely used Bitcoin Market or MtGox to purchase the coins... maybe the first try at TradeHill if later -- assume any coins which were there are gone. If he mined them, he has better chances since not all mining pools prune user funds out of accounts (but many do, including Slush's where it's likely he was unless solo CPU mining really early on). ETA: I don't think Luke's pool ever prunes, though, fwiw, and his was there right about from the get-go.

Assuming he's on Windows (and if we're talking 2010, he was), he wants wallet.dat from C:\Users\[USER ACCOUNT NAME]\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin -- AppData folder is hidden by default, IIRC, so you'll want to open up the control panel and show hidden folders in the Folder Settings options.

If the hard drive or OS (assuming a normal configuration) were ever wiped, the data's almost definitely gone unless it was very recent. Deleting the Bitcoin client shouldn't have deleted his wallet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: