Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:58:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: the higgs boson  (Read 2103 times)
kentrolla (OP)

Activity: 1554
Merit: 565

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2012, 09:15:55 AM

http://webcast.web.cern.ch/webcast/play_higgs.html  i know i'm a little late on making this thread as the conference is over now because i was busy watching the whole thing.The conference revealed that many independent studies got a ~126GeV and 5 sigma result (1 in 3.5million chance of being wrong).  i know these are scientists so they claim that 1 in 3.5million is still inconclusive, but i think it's safe to say they found it.  This is HUGE news. I don't want to go into too much detail about how big of a deal this is, but this is going to make technology advance much faster and many other things. Do you think this could have any effect on the Bitcoin market? If so, what are your predictions and why?

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 09:32:54 AM

http://webcast.web.cern.ch/webcast/play_higgs.html  i know i'm a little late on making this thread as the conference is over now because i was busy watching the whole thing.The conference revealed that many independent studies got a ~126GeV and 5 sigma result (1 in 3.5million chance of being wrong).  i know these are scientists so they claim that 1 in 3.5million is still inconclusive, but i think it's safe to say they found it.  This is HUGE news. I don't want to go into too much detail about how big of a deal this is, but this is going to make technology advance much faster and many other things. Do you think this could have any effect on the Bitcoin market? If so, what are your predictions and why?

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
kentrolla (OP)

Activity: 1554
Merit: 565

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2012, 09:57:31 AM

this is going to have big impact on the world economy

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
uuidman

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 10:39:32 AM

Aahahaaahaa.... puh,  sniff
damnek

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 10:56:28 AM

How is something that was already assumed to be true in physics going to affect finance?!?!

Nonsense thread IMO.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2012, 11:58:11 AM

Actually if they hadn't found it it would be much bigger news, the fact that they (probably) have is not so much.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
cloon

Activity: 387
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 12:09:40 PM

Actually if they hadn't found it it would be much bigger news, the fact that they (probably) have is not so much.
+1
Science is about making experiments for proofing the theory wrong and make a better one. you will never be able to proof a theory that has something in common with nature.
searching for proof is like making a selffulfilling prophecy... (excluding math)
(like somone could make an experiment whitch shows, that speed of light isn't constant in vacuum. that would disproof einstein and shows ways to a better (more true) theory and would bring the science much further than making an experimet thowing that speed of light is constant.)

donations to 13zWUMSHA7AzGjqWmJNhJLYZxHmjNPKduY
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2012, 02:25:17 PM
Last edit: July 04, 2012, 04:59:19 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

Kettenmonster

Activity: 420

bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 04:39:51 PM

... agreed! No doubt about that.
So do what Warren Buffet would do. Assume most Bankster don´t get a clue on what this is all about. So just by shares of all companies which are positively affected by this news. Plus don´t forget to pay with Bitcoins.

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
(source: my internet)
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 04:59:13 PM

They claimed that before:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson#Timeline_of_experimental_evidence

From the year 2000 onwards, they claimed about 4 times to "almost be sure" to have found it. Last time it was in the news, a couple of days later they discovered an unplugged plug somewhere in the machine, that explained the "near certain findings" of the existance of the particle.
So I would be rather cautious with those over exited scientists.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2012, 05:00:32 PM

I re-uploaded the image via Flickr, hence the other URL was only a temp, I assume.

~Bruno~
Rarity

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Look upon me, BitcoinTalk, for I...am...Rarity!

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 10:23:26 AM

How will the Higgs effect the frozen concentrated orange juice futures?

"Money is like manure: Spread around, it helps things grow. Piled up in one place, it just stinks."
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2012, 02:58:01 PM

How will the Higgs effect the frozen concentrated orange juice futures?

Excuse me! But that's a horse of a different color--lavender.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 03:54:34 PM

So much for intelligence of the crowd.   Bitcoiners were 3:1 against this happening in 2012.

- http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=272

Other bet statements in the science category:

Curiosity Rover will successfully land on Mars
The record for largest known prime number will be broken before the end of year 2012
and more:

- http://betsofbitco.in/list?status=available&category=Science

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 03:55:30 PM

horse of a different color
That's a great book!

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
punningclan

Activity: 283

Making a better tomorrow, tomorrow.

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 07:29:12 PM

lmao!

It was a cunning plan to have the funny man be the money fan of the punning clan.
1J13NBTKiV8xrAo2dwaD4LhWs3zPobhh5S
punningclan

Activity: 283

Making a better tomorrow, tomorrow.

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 07:31:43 PM

From the year 2000 onwards, they claimed about 4 times to "almost be sure" to have found it. Last time it was in the news, a couple of days later they discovered an unplugged plug somewhere in the machine, that explained the "near certain findings" of the existance of the particle.

Agreed!

You should have seen the excitement in the conference hall, at one point they clapped!  Shocked

If we know how mass comes about we might be able to negate it?

It was a cunning plan to have the funny man be the money fan of the punning clan.
1J13NBTKiV8xrAo2dwaD4LhWs3zPobhh5S
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 02:57:11 AM

Agreed!

You should have seen the excitement in the conference hall, at one point they clapped!  Shocked

If we know how mass comes about we might be able to negate it?

Here is how I think about it:

Imagine a calm body of water and a light source, for example a toilet that hasn't been used for awhile reflecting the bathroom light. If the water is calm you can clearly see the reflection of the light. The image is almost perfectly reproduced. But if you add energy to the system it causes all sorts of ripples and the light gets diffracted, refracted, reflected in all directions, etc. The higgs field is like the body of water, the light source is the other matter/energy, and the reflected image of the light source is what we observe as mass. If you understand the source of the higgs field, you are one step closer to being able to input focused energy/information, and also possibly capturing and containing the particles responsible.

Disclaimer: I am not a physicist and thought of this while taking a piss after playing mass effect.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2012, 03:08:32 AM

The times where there was no news in between the times they thought they'd found it were all the times they didn't find it, if you know what I mean.

Not finding the Higgs boson wouldn't be news, because absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. It just means they'd keep looking at higher and higher voltages - well, until they couldn't afford the energy bill any more. Not finding it where it was expected would mean some changes to the standard model, which while big news to physicists would interest the public not very much.

I for one support our new mass-providing particle overlord!

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2012, 06:18:50 AM

Not finding it where it was expected would mean some changes to the standard model, which while big news to physicists would interest the public not very much.

Neither conclusion interests the public very much. Finding it wouldn't be a big deal because it's always assumed to be there, in order to make the laws of physics work. Not finding it would either mean they just didn't find it, or it doesn't exist, in which case the laws of physics would need reworking.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: