Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:27:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin vs. the Banks  (Read 7443 times)
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 02:44:33 AM

Government and banking industries are walking hand by hand. But observe this, government is changing while who owns the banks are not so now guess who is telling who what to do.

i agree with this.  financiers/banksters have captured the politicians.  they end up leaving politics and getting their corner offices on Wall St.
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2012, 03:51:52 AM

Don't hate banks. Understand them. Only then will you have an informed opinion about why they should not exist.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
mystery2048

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 07:06:54 AM

Banking institutions tend to turn up in any advanced economic system... Bitcoin will be no different, and there most likely will be banks, MtGox is the closest thing to a bank we have right now. They issue their own currency (MtGox Redemption Vouchers) and offer various services and allow you to exchange and transfer funds.

Important: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92424.0;all

Donations: 1HWMQv2VYviAgpy6NWNvVg9JhKm4zcMGS5
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 01:37:59 PM

Banking institutions tend to turn up in any advanced economic system... Bitcoin will be no different, and there most likely will be banks, MtGox is the closest thing to a bank we have right now. They issue their own currency (MtGox Redemption Vouchers) and offer various services and allow you to exchange and transfer funds.

Bitcoin doesn't allow anybody to create money out of thin air like the actual banking system. That's the main fundamental difference.

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 01:45:02 PM

Bitcoin doesn't allow anybody to create money out of thin air like the actual banking system. That's the main fundamental difference.

Absolutely any exchange can create money out of thin air. Get over the ability to create money out of thin air and start focusing on the trust behind it. If I create $100 out of thin air but promise you to pay you $100 tomorrow and you are positive through a track record of me being paid $100 everyweek at the same time for 20 years that you will get that $100, isn't that enough to make the transaction? What more do you need in a functioning society?

If you have a problem with that, you have a problem with:

1) MtGox codes
2) Ripple technology
3) The world around you

cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 01:52:02 PM

Absolutely any exchange can create money out of thin air. Get over the ability to create money out of thin air and start focusing on the trust behind it. If I create $100 out of thin air but promise you to pay you $100 tomorrow and you are positive through a track record of me being paid $100 everyweek at the same time for 20 years that you will get that $100, isn't that enough to make the transaction? What more do you need in a functioning society?

1) MtGox codes
2) Ripple technology
3) The world around you

MtGox can create BTC out of thin air? Can you explain this?

Money should not be created out of liabilities, which is what our banking system does now. It gets you to sign a loan, and then monetizes your debt and treats it as a deposit (I think most people know this now).

Only banks can do this. MtGox or the IBB can't write up a BTC loan to you, and then magically create the BTC based on your loan contract. The main difference being BTC HAVE to be created with actual work (EARNED), while fiat is created with the push of a button.

This is why banks and our monetary system SUCK. They are getting something (your hard-EARNED dollars, for their NON-earned ones).

Think of it like this, Matthew. You spent months putting together your magazine, and I'm sure it was a lot of work. When you finally got it done, would you trade them all with me if I printed you out some occult pictures on my computer for you? It would only take me a few seconds to print a pentagram and an all seeing eye, while it took you months of work to make your mag. Not a fair trade, is it? Nor is it when banks do it.

I'm grumpy!!
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 01:56:46 PM

1) MtGox codes
2) Ripple technology
3) The world around you

Exact, I have a problem about the world around me ruled by a banking system that is literally responsible of the environmental destruction by overstimulating consumption.

cryptoanarchist
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 01:58:29 PM

Exact, I have a problem about the world around me ruled by a banking system that is literally responsible of the environmental destruction by overstimulating consumption.

+1 Exactly!! 

I'm grumpy!!
Roger_Murdock

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 02:15:41 PM

If I lend you 100 bucks, and you promise to pay me 100 bucks tomorrow and memorialize that promise with a Matthew M. Wright note that's printed on fancy paper with your picture on it and maybe some hard-to-replicate holograms, have you really created "money"? Well, maybe. I could certainly try and find someone to trade for it and those pieces of paper might earn enough trust to be widely accepted as a medium of exchange. And maybe you could even start issuing more in Wright bucks than you've collected in U.S. dollars. That's not necessarily a problem assuming you don't go overboard to the point that people lose trust in your money. The problem with banks' ability to create money in our current system is that, due to implicit and explicit government guarantees (like FDIC insurance), there's no market check on the ability to create ever-increasing quantities of debt-money.  If we had a truly free market for money, I believe commodity money (and I'm including Bitcoin in this category) would be the dominant form of money although there would still be some "monetary" use of debt instruments.
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 09:49:39 AM

+1 Exactly!! 

This is why we should promote a resource based economy. All reality, no fantasy.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 12:52:47 PM

+1 Exactly!! 

This is why we should promote a resource based economy. All reality, no fantasy.

Economies are resource based by definition: Economies are how resources are distributed.

A "Resource Based Economy" is like saying a "Meal Based Restaurant"

I'm grumpy!!
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 12:53:30 PM

+1 Exactly!! 

Economies are resource based by definition: Economies are how resources are distributed.

I'd eat that restaurant.

drrussellshane

Activity: 546

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 12:59:48 PM

+1 Exactly!! 

I'd eat that restaurant.

The whole thing?

Shocked

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 01:08:00 PM

I'd eat that restaurant.

The whole thing?

Shocked

I'd give it a shot.

swissmate

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 01:24:06 PM

WHAT?

No horse mask while in the bank?
aq

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 01:37:23 PM

WHAT?

No horse mask while in the bank?

The jail time would have been too long.
He has to work hard to make sure the Ellet has a longer time-to-market then those BFL things. Cool
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 02:03:01 PM

My credit union is pretty good.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 02:16:49 PM

I hate all banks. Not the institutions themselves, or the people who work there. Just the buildings themselves. The actual bank.

My hatred has found difficulty since online banks have come into play. I have not actually seen the servers which house these online banks, but I do believe that I would hate that server just as much.

I destroyed all piggy banks I saw as a child.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
pof

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 02:52:49 PM

I hate all banks. Not the institutions themselves, or the people who work there. Just the buildings themselves. The actual bank.

My hatred has found difficulty since online banks have come into play. I have not actually seen the servers which house these online banks, but I do believe that I would hate that server just as much.

+1   ahahahahahahah

BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 02:57:28 PM

I, too, prefer very much to sit in a comfortable chair, than in these elongated things that tend to hide under the name sofas. Unfortunately I come across these a lot in my daily life, and have learned to adjust, living in an uneasy truce with these horrid spawns of cusheyness.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: