Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:43:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin vs. the Banks  (Read 7445 times)
markus_d

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 12:26:52 PM

The only thing you can really do to harm banks is withdrawing all your money.
I already did this.
Changed it all to bitcoins.
Of course somebody else has the euros now, but I am glad not to have them anymore as they are worth less and less. As ALL fiat money in the world.
And I have all my bitcoins on an account that is not an exchange. otherwise the exchanges could do the same as the banks do right now.

https://bitmarket.co (Primer mercado de bitcoin en colombia)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 12:55:11 PM

The only difference is that with Bitcoin nobody has the ability to offer unlimited bailouts to cover unbacked credit.

Yes, this is the crucial difference: FRB + elastic money is a deadly combination.

FRB with gold backed money was common practice so there is no way bitcoin can be immune to excessive FRB.
However, with gold, bankers were using the difficulty of moving around gold inventory as a lame excuse for opacity and fraud.
Conversely, a bitcoin bank could not pretend it cannot deliver bitcoins: that's one of the two reasons a bitcoin banking system will be safer and less prone to excess than the current "debt based" banking system.
The other reason is that a bitcoin banking system rides on top of a p2p system: one can always fall back to being one's own bank.

cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 03:48:17 PM

The only thing you can really do to harm banks is withdrawing all your money.
I already did this.
Changed it all to bitcoins.
Of course somebody else has the euros now, but I am glad not to have them anymore as they are worth less and less. As ALL fiat money in the world.
And I have all my bitcoins on an account that is not an exchange. otherwise the exchanges could do the same as the banks do right now.

The good news is that with Bitcoin exchanges, if they run off with people's money, they get crucified, and not bailed out. (Bitcoinica)

I'm grumpy!!
d'aniel

Activity: 461
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 04:27:40 PM

The only difference is that with Bitcoin nobody has the ability to offer unlimited bailouts to cover unbacked credit.

Yes, this is the crucial difference: FRB + elastic money is a deadly combination.

FRB with gold backed money was common practice so there is no way bitcoin can be immune to excessive FRB.
However, with gold, bankers were using the difficulty of moving around gold inventory as a lame excuse for opacity and fraud.
Conversely, a bitcoin bank could not pretend it cannot deliver bitcoins: that's one of the two reasons a bitcoin banking system will be safer and less prone to excess than the current "debt based" banking system.
The other reason is that a bitcoin banking system rides on top of a p2p system: one can always fall back to being one's own bank.

My hope is that something like Mike Hearn's 'Distributed bond markets and pay-to-policy outputs' https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=92421.0 will turn the bank-as-middleman-in-lending into dead weight/an unnecessary liability, and thus prevent widespread FRB from arising in the first place.
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 10:08:18 PM

Explain.

Efficient markets save energy, obviously.  But gold can also be used to produce energy.

Saving energy is not the same as producing energy. Gold is not a fuel source to my knowledge.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 10:13:15 PM

People who ascribe magical properties to gold would be better served by a more standard religion.
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 10:48:59 PM

People who ascribe magical properties to gold would be better served by a more standard religion.

Gold is valuable for its use in electronics, jewelry and industrial applications.

I'm grumpy!!
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 11:00:05 PM

Gold is valuable for its use in electronics, jewelry and industrial applications.

The world consumption of new gold produced is about 50% in jewelry, 40% in investments, and 10% in industry

BTCurious

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

^SEM img of Si wafer edge, scanned 2012-3-12.

View Profile
July 14, 2012, 08:24:54 AM

Jewelry itself can be considered a speculation though, since people only wear gold jewelry because gold has a status of "valuable".

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: