Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:40:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quality Bitcoin Magazine Suggestions Only! (please do not troll!)  (Read 1443 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2012, 04:26:34 PM
Last edit: July 04, 2012, 04:39:47 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

For their first issue, the folks over at Bitcoin Magazine did a superb job.

I only have two issues with the first issue, one of which has been duly noted and should be corrected, but can't recall if my other concern has been addressed.

• InK Smudging (will be resolved)
  • Paragraphs are too long. Breaking it up a tad would make a better reading experience.

My hope is not necessarily to point out any negatives of Bitcoin Magazine, albeit that's exactly what I just did above, but to have us all suggest improvements, unique features, interview suggestions (something I've already started), etc.

It would be appreciated if trolling were kept to a bear minimum on this thread. I don't believe I've ever used the Report to moderator option before, but I may do that if a snide post warrants such an action. I would love to have this thread be as constructive as possible for the betterment of Bitcoin via Bitcoin Magazine, PR'ed by my good friend and fellow Hoosier fuzz-nuts Matthew N. Wright.

Some of the better suggestions I will post here in the OP below.

With that, I now present a couple ideas to get the ball a rollin'.

Monthly Contest (no clue what the prize(s) may be):

Take a quick look at this: http://www.country-magazine.com/contests/

The two that came to mind prior to me re-viewing that page are the Needle in the Haystack and Clever Caption contests. The Clever Caption contest is self-explanatory. The Needle in the Haystack may require a tad more imagination, but I do feel that it should include the ad images, thus having more eyeballs looking at the ads, hence that's a/the primary revenue source.

Incorporate inspirational quotes throughout the magazine. I will expand upon this idea later.

At least one fine article on cryptography in general and how it impacts our everyday lives.

I have another suggestion that I'm keeping under wraps till later.

That's it for starters. I, and hopefully those at Bitcoin Magazine, look forward to all your fine suggestions.

~Bruno~
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 04:34:06 PM

My hope is not necessarily to point out any negatives of Bitcoin Magazine, albeit that's exactly what I just did above

Pile it on! And thanks. We are watching and will do what it takes to get things on the next level.

-
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2012, 04:37:52 PM

My hope is not necessarily to point out any negatives of Bitcoin Magazine, albeit that's exactly what I just did above

Pile it on! And thanks. We are watching and will do what it takes to get things on the next level.

The majority of us know you will and thank you kindly for this fine publication.

~Bruno~
phatsphere

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 04:49:13 PM

i suggest to have an article like a programming related "technical corner" where some bitcoin client API is explained or something like that.

example: javaworld: http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-01-2012/120110-bitcoin-for-beginners-3.html

p
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2012, 04:56:28 PM

i suggest to have an article like a programming related "technical corner" where some bitcoin client API is explained or something like that.

example: javaworld: http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-01-2012/120110-bitcoin-for-beginners-3.html

p

Like a "Tech Nook" or "The Geek Nook". Fine suggestion.

~Bruno~
Gareth Nelson

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 08:11:26 PM

A pile of tips to include:

Interesting recent transactions and wild guessing as to what they are
Market conditions and trends, recent exchange rate history
A listing of businesses that accept BTC (commercial listings)
Classified ads
Media watch - what's the mainstream media saying about our beloved bitcoin?
Information security tips and news with a focus on bitcoin users
Client app listings, complete with QR codes for smartphones (*bitcoinspinner*cough* shameless plug)

Some more "out there" ideas occur too, like a paper blockchain update, but that's just my insanity showing
Gareth Nelson

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 08:15:35 PM

Oh, and humour - I just asked my wife for some non-geek input on ideas for the magazine and she suggested "you know you're a bitcoiner when...."
She also suggested:

Best bitcoin buys/bargains - "buy a jar of peanuts for only 2 bitcoins!" - I think I need to show her the current exchange rates more often........
Pics of sexy girls holding up their bitcoin address - send in a pic of your boyfriend or girlfriend
Gareth Nelson

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 08:17:38 PM

And here's one from me:

Low-value but nice-looking physical coins with guides on how to use them - like a free gift to get new users started, is this possible? Free gifts in general are good.
CDs glued to the front cover with video interviews, cool software and whatever else
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2012, 03:34:41 AM

A listing of businesses that accept BTC (commercial listings)

I envision this as an ongoing feature toward the back of the magazine. A simple alphabetical list of companies along with their URLs.

Classified ads

This one may be in the works. Correct me if I'm wrong, Matthew, or please elaborate.

humour/humor

3-4 cartoons related to Bitcoin or cryptography in every issue would help break the monotony of reading quasi-technical, jargon laced articles.

Another one of mine: A logic puzzle, or other puzzles to challenge the minds of Bitcoin Magazine's readership. I mentioned above that I had something up my sleeve. Here it is. A monthly crossword puzzle. I am fully capable of producing challenging puzzles, although I have stated several times in the past that I only have a rudimentary-plus command of the English language when it comes to writing prose or speaking out loud to people in public face-to-face. (see what I mean?)

I promise to not have one across as 1: Alternative Currency (7 letters). I am speaking of a 15x15 standard symmetrical matrix crossword puzzle with minimum three letter words and challenging clues.

Are there any other crossword puzzle solving geeks on this forum that would welcome the opportunity to be the editor of said puzzles? It doesn't pay anything, and I don't expect to get paid either unless, of course, the puzzles become a look-forward-to-solve feature.

Each puzzle with be themed, over and beyond the Bitcon/cryptography one.

Thank you kindly for all the fine suggestions to date. I'm sure fuzz-nut and crew appreciates reading them all, and I'm sure they'll act on a few of them, with some of the suggestions possibly already being in the works.

~Bruno
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2012, 03:10:21 AM

Bump!

Still seeking suggestions or quality brainfarts--the better they smell, the better I like them.

~Bruno~
SimonL

Activity: 113
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 03:50:57 PM

If you are still seeking writers, consider this guy http://onusprobandy.blogspot.com.au/search/label/bitcoin . I was stunned at how succinctly and easily he debunked the many criticisms of Bitcoin. Admittedly Bitcoin Magazine's write-ups were very good, but when it came to not only technical criticisms but also market behavior he really nailed it. I was stuck reading nearly every blog he posted about Bitcoin, and there were a lot of them. The guy's writing was very engaging and left me wanting more.

Dansker

Activity: 740

Hello world!

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 05:38:13 PM

Pro tip, don't do this when lots of people still haven't got what they ordered more than half a year ago:

Oh sorry, excuze me, I didn't realise I wasn't allowed to post criticism here!

All hail our glorious magazine!

World

Activity: 743

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 06:35:34 PM

Cooperation with people http://www.dgcmagazine.com (right now is under maintenance)

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
World

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 06:41:53 PM

Low-value but nice-looking physical coins with guides on how to use them - like a free gift to get new users started, is this possible? Free gifts in general are good.
CDs glued to the front cover with video interviews, cool software and whatever else
Low-value but nice-looking physical Bitcoin Checks
For 1 Year subscribers only physical Bitcoincard  Cheesy

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2012, 07:14:55 AM

Cooperation with people http://www.dgcmagazine.com (right now is under maintenance)

I just search for the word Bitcoin on the above linked site, and was welcome with...

Sorry, but nothing matched your search criteria. Please try again with some different keywords.
World

View Profile
July 07, 2012, 11:12:16 AM

Sorry, but nothing matched your search criteria. Please try again with some different keywords.

Inside the .pdf in DGC Magazine archives there is a lot words about bitcoin

I think DGC Magazine is ending May 2012 was Final Issue PDF and good team of best Contributors from DGC for Bitcoin Magazin will be good.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: