Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:50:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Intel Turns Off Forums, Blogs & Comments In Response To Russian Blogging Law  (Read 837 times)
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2015, 09:15:23 AM

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150104/07170429592/intel-turns-off-russian-forums-blogs-comments-response-to-russian-blogging-law.shtml

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Agestorzrxx

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 09:27:23 AM

Russian is a authoritarian country.
And Putin is a dictator.
I can't understand why Russian people like this guy.
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2015, 11:41:49 AM

I am curious how this law applies to this forum (if at all).
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2015, 07:17:37 PM

I am curious how this law applies to this forum (if at all).

There are more than >3000 Russian visitors (per month, I think), then the server has to be located in Russia and the owner register itself with the Russian authorities. Come on, why are the Putin-lovers always such incredulous and naive babies? Everyone knows about this oppression since last year.
Putin lovers? Who are you talking about? Clearly not EVERYONE knows.
BitMos

Activity: 182
Merit: 123

"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:21:17 PM

I love reality.  Cheesy

money is faster...
Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1358

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 06:46:11 AM

fsb4000
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 11:46:43 AM

Intel has 4 offices in Russia. Intel could easy store personal data of Russian users in Russia. Intel Russia among the top five in terms of income that goes to the company.
The fact that they closed the blog, it's only because the US government to put pressure on Intel.
Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1358

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 12:40:47 PM

The fact that they closed the blog, it's only because the US government to put pressure on Intel.
There is no dictatorship in the US, they did it democratically. Cheesy
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 05:57:04 PM

Intel has 4 offices in Russia. Intel could easy store personal data of Russian users in Russia. Intel Russia among the top five in terms of income that goes to the company.
There have also been cases in the US where companies shut down their service rather than comply with totalitarian dictates to hand over user data to the government. This could simply be a way of resisting the law rather than the US exerting pressure. Not everything is a plot by the US (though I admit there are many).
Poolie

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 06:18:55 PM

Maybe for the same reason North Korean's 'like' Kim. Russia really is slowly turning into dictatorship.
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 09:19:15 PM

There have also been cases in the US where companies shut down their service rather than comply with totalitarian dictates to hand over user data to the government. This could simply be a way of resisting the law rather than the US exerting pressure. Not everything is a plot by the US (though I admit there are many).

This is not a question of "totalitarian dictates" and "handing user data to the government", but about keeping the data of Russian users on the servers, residing in Russia, and not, say in US. It's a matter of national security. The data would be available to the Russian government, provided valid court procedures are observed. If the information is stored in the US, and Russia has need for that information (e.g. on suspicion of terrorism), do you think US would cooperate?

To turn the question around: how would you, as an American, feel if your personal data was stored somewhere in North Korea. How would US government feel about it?

For my part, I am not particularly happy about the "know your customer" stuff that companies doing business in or with US are obliged to compile, and the information collected being kept in US, available to the American government, as we learned from Snowden, even without court orders.

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2015, 02:08:43 PM

This is not a question of "totalitarian dictates" and "handing user data to the government", but about keeping the data of Russian users on the servers, residing in Russia, and not, say in US. It's a matter of national security. The data would be available to the Russian government, provided valid court procedures are observed. If the information is stored in the US, and Russia has need for that information (e.g. on suspicion of terrorism), do you think US would cooperate?

To turn the question around: how would you, as an American, feel if your personal data was stored somewhere in North Korea. How would US government feel about it?

For my part, I am not particularly happy about the "know your customer" stuff that companies doing business in or with US are obliged to compile, and the information collected being kept in US, available to the American government, as we learned from Snowden, even without court orders.

How would I like it? You act as if this is not happening to everyone on the globe. Furthermore I posted this because I think it is totalitarian, along with the global NSA data collection, and I don't agree with any of it. I like Russia, they have problems like the US does too. If I were to pick one country most like the US, I would say it is Russia. They are crazy, they love their guns, they like to party, and they are both run by totalitarians. Sounds like a description that fits both countries to me.

Furthermore about your point, this is also a problem within the US as well. Little known fact: the NSA takes all the information it collects on US citizens, then sends it to FOREIGN companies for data extraction and monitoring. So in fact the EXACT same thing is being done to the US people and every other people. So please, don't talk to me like I helped set up the NSA network and I am gung ho about it. This is not my issue to defend, I don't like it either.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: