Bitcoin Forum
July 07, 2024, 12:04:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stop saying the Bitstamp coins were dumped!! They are right $%&#ing here -- >  (Read 5531 times)
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 02:36:27 PM

bistamp eta long way off
still no sign of them opening up

if I remember well,
they have talked about reopening on
12 January ...

or I remember wrong?

no one have info about reopening date?
just look here:
https://twitter.com/Bitstamp
They said 24-48 h. But after testing the system they started from anew.

All the while they are holding their clients money hostage. How would you feel if you had rent to pay and your bank told you they had to fix their software before you could withdraw your money? I bet you'd be looking for another bank pretty damn quick. It's funny how people tolerate excuses in Bitcoinland that would never be tolerated in the real world. I guess people don't really see Bitcoin as money.

Bagatell

Activity: 722
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 02:55:48 PM

All the while they are holding their clients money hostage. How would you feel if you had rent to pay and your bank told you they had to fix their software before you could withdraw your money? I bet you'd be looking for another bank pretty damn quick. It's funny how people tolerate excuses in Bitcoinland that would never be tolerated in the real world. I guess people don't really see Bitcoin as money.

Bitstamp is not a bank. If their customers didn't use it like a bank they wouldn't have had all those coins in their hot wallet and it would have been a much smaller loss.

AA says is better than me.

http://youtu.be/1DG98FH1qlo?t=35m
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 03:01:03 PM

Bitstamp is not a bank. If their customers didn't use it like a bank they wouldn't have had all those coins in their hot wallet and it would have been a much smaller loss.

I know it's not a bank but the concept is the same. Call it an investment brokerage if that makes you happy. If the brokerage ever held my money without allowing me access to it and did not get my permission beforehand they would never see another deposit from me.

CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 03:02:51 PM

it doesnt matter one bit ,if they cant secure a hot  wallet properly they should not be in the business of holding hundreds of millions of dollars of btc for their community,the excuse/result would be the exact same if the cold wallet got "hacked" too  and everything was gone .........

this "hacked" bullshit get thrown around way too much and too easily  with no more or less no reprecussions to whoever was in charge and either did it or let it happen ........
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 03:10:36 PM

it doesnt matter one bit ,if they cant secure a hot  wallet properly they should not be in the business of holding hundreds of millions of dollars of btc for their community,the excuse/result would be the exact same if the cold wallet got "hacked" too  and everything was gone .........

this "hacked" bullshit get thrown around way too much and too easily  with no more or less no reprecussions to whoever was in charge and either did it or let it happen ........

That's the kind of reaction I would expect to see in the RL if an entity was holding my money hostage but for some reason in Bitcoinland it's "all good". I don't get that. We sit and brainstorm constantly about furthering mass adoption and can't understand why it's not happening. Ummm, I think I understand why. lol

Bagatell

Activity: 722

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 03:21:32 PM

I don't get that.

The first sentence in the Bitcoin white paper.

"Abstract.
A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a
financial institution."

Pretty clear to me.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 03:38:58 PM

I don't get that.

The first sentence in the Bitcoin white paper.

"Abstract.
A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a
financial institution."

Pretty clear to me.

Straw man

This method has been used throughout history in polemical debate, particularly in arguments about highly charged emotional issues where a fiery, entertaining "battle" and the defeat of an "enemy" may be more valued than critical thinking or understanding both sides of the issue.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 05:22:33 PM

bitstamp got goxxed by the fat-man:

Cheesy

Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 05:46:01 PM

I like how he's working in some excuses for when next hauled over the coals about gox.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 06:09:37 PM

Time passes, no updates. My faith is starting to wain.

more or less retired.
fonenumba

Activity: 411
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 03:21:55 AM

Banks have money stolen from them all the time, granted it is not $5 million worth at a time, however they do get scammed. Their hot wallet was compromised one time over 3 years and they were able to manage their hot wallet in a way that allowed them to have the entire hot wallet stolen and still be able to cover customer deposits.

Compare this to gox who was almost hacked on a regular basis
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: