Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:14:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you download a specific block number ?  (Read 937 times)
kamir.tamaatiii (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 11:52:06 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2015, 01:11:29 PM by kamir.tamaatiii

I want to know if there is a way to download specific block numbers without download the whole blockchain.

Edit: I know that I can use bitcoin client with getblock "hash" function, but this require that the block with that "hash" to be in the hard drive, which I don't. So I'm looking for a similar function of getblock "hash" which doesn't require block to be in the hard drive, but instead it download it from some server or other peers.
hhanh00

Activity: 467
Merit: 266

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 04:50:34 AM

Yes, by their hashes using getdata in the raw protocol or getblock in the client.

Taras
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053

Please do not PM me loan requests!

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 06:35:19 AM

You can download the details of a specific block in human-readable form from a block explorer, such as blockchain.info or blockr.io etc.
kamir.tamaatiii (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 12:07:17 PM

Yes, by their hashes using getdata in the raw protocol or getblock in the client.

I tried getblock "hash", but it seems like I can only get block that I already have in my disk, I want to get this function working without downloading the whole blockchain. Is there any way to connect to some kind of server and use this method on this server ?

TL;DR, I want to compile my own bootstrap.dat file that contain only blocks from a specific block number for example only blocks between 130000 and 140000, all this without having the blockchain in my hard drive.
hhanh00

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 05:10:23 PM

I tried getblock "hash", but it seems like I can only get block that I already have in my disk, I want to get this function working without downloading the whole blockchain. Is there any way to connect to some kind of server and use this method on this server ?

TL;DR, I want to compile my own bootstrap.dat file that contain only blocks from a specific block number for example only blocks between 130000 and 140000, all this without having the blockchain in my hard drive.
Without a local copy your only option is to use getdata since I doubt that an online block explorer would let you download 10000 blocks.

kamir.tamaatiii (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 05:15:56 PM

Without a local copy your only option is to use getdata since I doubt that an online block explorer would let you download 10000 blocks.

How do you access the raw protocol? I'm not familiar with this.
hhanh00

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 05:31:57 PM

I don't know any tool that does that out of the box - I think you will need to write it yourself. Sorry

jimmyscratchlab

Activity: 24

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 06:02:32 PM

How do you access the raw protocol? I'm not familiar with this.

Bitcore, A pure JavaScript Bitcoin library.

Code:
var bitcore = require('bitcore');
var Messages = bitcore.transport.Messages;
var Peer = bitcore.transport.Peer;
var Block = bitcore.Block;
var peer = new Peer('xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx');

peer.on('block',function(message){
console.log(message.block.toObject());
);

var v = [];
v.push({
type: 2,
hash: new Buffer(...)
});

var message = new Messages.GetData(v);
peer.sendMessage(message);
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8421

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 06:24:44 PM

There is no facility to directly do this in the Bitcoin protocol, nor is there ever likely to be. The Bitcoin network is not a free file server, nodes provide data to other nodes for facilitating the operation of the Bitcoin system-- and normal operation has no need for a lookup by height.

You should run your own node and then you can trivially query it over the json rpc (or rest in Bitcoin v0.10).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: