Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:43:24 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Financial "Advisors"  (Read 1317 times)
fryarminer (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 06:14:46 AM

I've had the opportunity to interview financial advisors recently for other stuff. But at some point I always pop the question: "What do you think of bitcoin?"

It's interesting. They never recommend it, and often have no idea what it is.

Today I was at table with four "advisors".
Response #1: "bit what? What is that?"
Response #2: "don't get into Bitcoin. It can be used to buy anything on the Internet but it is only used to buy guns and bad stuff. However I met a tall skinny guy who has invented an alternative to Bitcoin and his is going to be perfect when he launches it."

Then another went into conspiracy theories that all the financial systems of the world would collapse and that people would embrace a one-world currency imposed by some government.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 06:17:51 AM

LOL! Cheesy Yeah to be honest, there are times when I feel assured by this level of ignorance, because it really lets you know just how much of an early adopter of Bitcoin you are, even the newbies here are still early adopters compared to a lot of people out there, I still have plenty of time to build up my funds before the big investors move in.
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 06:20:43 AM

I've had the opportunity to interview financial advisors recently for other stuff. But at some point I always pop the question: "What do you think of bitcoin?"

Response #2: "don't get into Bitcoin. It can be used to buy anything on the Internet but it is only used to buy guns and bad stuff. However I met a tall skinny guy who has invented an alternative to Bitcoin and his is going to be perfect when he launches it."

Then another went into conspiracy theories that all the financial systems of the world would collapse and that people would embrace a one-world currency imposed by some government.

I wonder what his point was when he mentioned "a tall skinny guy", does that add positive ethos to his statement?

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 06:32:08 AM
Last edit: January 07, 2015, 03:47:00 PM by franky1

just remember. that financial advisors, spend a couple years in business college and then go to financial universities and then have to sit some exam to prove they know how the fiat system works.

they know nothing of real world currency. and only what those FIAT books have taught them

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 06:33:16 AM

I wonder what his point was when he mentioned "a tall skinny guy", does that add positive ethos to his statement?

I wonder what the "alternative to Bitcoin" is and why its gonna be so "perfect"?

Its probably gonna be some crap coin called something like Geraldo Rivera Coin.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3099

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 06:40:10 AM

Makes no sense.  If all the financial systems of the world collapse, then the technology we use (electricity/internet) will probably collapse too.

The most efficient governments of all time (the Romans) could only occupy and govern a third of Europe at their peak.  What makes you think any one government would rule the entire world with no technology?

https://nastyscam.com - featuring 13 years of OGNasty bitcoin scams     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming sooner than you think!
btbrae

Activity: 680

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 06:54:26 AM

These guys are clueless, but they have their own agenda. I remember the one I saw.

Me: I'd like to protect my money against inflation
Him: Oh, really, why do you think there will be inflation?

Then immediately tries to set me up with his fund manager so he can earn a big fat referral commission. Was pretty obvious what it was all about. These guys prey on people with zero interest or zero knowledge just trying to get on with their lives and keep hold of their money for retirement or w/e.

That said, there's probably the odd exception but imagine they get scooped up into better jobs pretty quickly.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 07:08:22 AM

LOL @ response #2. What do you think many drug dealers and gangs use to buy guns, drugs, and other "bad stuff"?

I'm pretty sure they use FIAT (USD, EUR...etc).

No wonder they never benefitted from utilizing bitcoin, they can't even see the difference and glaring similarities bad things are bought with USD etc.

This stuff makes me laugh.  Grin Grin

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

General_A

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 10:01:20 AM

Was pretty obvious what it was all about. These guys prey on people with zero interest or zero knowledge just trying to get on with their lives and keep hold of their money for retirement or w/e.
Sounds like altcoin pushers to me Tongue

calaber24p

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

If this is life , then I prefer death !

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 11:23:59 AM

To be fair if I was a financial adviser I would advise against bitcoin, not because of any of the reasons stated above and not because I don't believe it or own it myself, just because I would expect the average joe to either lose it or not understand that it is a completely risky investment. If someone showed me that they had a deep understanding of it then I would say yeah sure put some into it.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 03:04:40 PM

To be fair if I was a financial adviser I would advise against bitcoin, not because of any of the reasons stated above and not because I don't believe it or own it myself, just because I would expect the average joe to either lose it or not understand that it is a completely risky investment. If someone showed me that they had a deep understanding of it then I would say yeah sure put some into it.

this topic is turning into an 'englishman, scotsman and irishman meet at a bar joke'

the irishman says 'ah, int it dat currency used for drugs'
the scotsman says 'bit-what'
the englishman says 'i know someone thats gonna make a mint out of it'

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Balls

Activity: 338
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 03:37:09 PM

just remember. that financial advisors, spend a couple years in business college and then go to financial universities and then have to sit some exam to prove they know how the fiat system works.

they know nothing of real world currency. and only when those FIAT books have taught them

This, but this sort of stuff can be applied to many careers. Just because they are a financial adviser doesn't make them an expert in all things money and investments. Their knowledge will likely be severely limited to fiat and current banking systems and if so they should know what a corrupt system it is.
mistercoin
Legendary

Activity: 1044

https://r.honeygain.me/XEDDM2B07C

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 03:38:04 PM

I do find it weird that a lot of "advisers" still have no clue what Bitcoin is.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 03:43:03 PM

My next door neighbor is a financial manager AND the first to admit that people in finance are the least likely to help you with bitcoins.  It's flawed to even think they would be a good choice. This is the reason why Kodak could not see the digital future of photography and BlockBuster thought people would drive to the mall to get their video content rather than stream it.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2015, 03:52:16 PM

I wonder what the "alternative to Bitcoin" is and why its gonna be so "perfect"?

Its probably gonna be some crap coin called something like Geraldo Rivera Coin.

probably a Scam like Paycoin.

but its a shame that these guys dont make some research.

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 09:05:10 PM

In my experience, just asking them how you might protect a portion of your assets in the case of fiat collapse is sufficient to be met with stammers.

I'm sure there must be some good ones out there somewhere, but it seems all that most of them know is how to pump their own firms' associated funds.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
fryarminer (OP)

Activity: 686

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 01:25:13 PM

My next door neighbor is a financial manager AND the first to admit that people in finance are the least likely to help you with bitcoins.  It's flawed to even think they would be a good choice. This is the reason why Kodak could not see the digital future of photography and BlockBuster thought people would drive to the mall to get their video content rather than stream it.

This is interesting. Never thought about it this way.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 01:29:51 PM

I think we would have an interesting conversation about it
But its always nice to get a financial perspective from financial advisers on it ^^
(No commission I dunno XD)

http://www.moneysense.ca/invest/find-the-perfect-financial-planner

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 01:34:33 PM

Each with their very own opinion and I just wonder how they managed to get along and sit on the same table.

Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 05:41:12 PM

LOL @ response #2. What do you think many drug dealers and gangs use to buy guns, drugs, and other "bad stuff"?

I'm pretty sure they use FIAT (USD, EUR...etc).

No wonder they never benefitted from utilizing bitcoin, they can't even see the difference and glaring similarities bad things are bought with USD etc.

This stuff makes me laugh.  Grin Grin

and going by history if u use a computer u where a geek, now ur a warlord haha

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: