Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 02:39:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Financial "Advisors"  (Read 1317 times)
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 05:58:01 PM

My next door neighbor is a financial manager AND the first to admit that people in finance are the least likely to help you with bitcoins.  It's flawed to even think they would be a good choice. This is the reason why Kodak could not see the digital future of photography and BlockBuster thought people would drive to the mall to get their video content rather than stream it.

This is interesting. Never thought about it this way.

In some respects true, I doubt my great grandfather went to the livery stable to ask whether they'd most recommend Mr Ford's or Messrs Dodge's products.

However, IMO Blockbuster committed hari-kari as much as it really suffered from online video options, at the first downturn in revenue, they went for the "screw the customer" model with hidden fees and sneaky and exorbitant late fines etc, which SENT people looking for other options... by the time they nixed that, it was death spiral already, had they not done that, they could have had time to transform business model to online or redbox type operations.

Kodak made an honorable last stand in the consumer market IMO (They still do business stuff) they brought out desktop printers that were NOT subsidised by inflated ink cartridge mark-up/copytrolling . So ink was $10 a cartridge, not $60 .... unfortunately this seemed too little too late.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
thresher

Activity: 700

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 08:55:20 PM

just remember. that financial advisors, spend a couple years in business college and then go to financial universities and then have to sit some exam to prove they know how the fiat system works.

they know nothing of real world currency. and only what those FIAT books have taught them

You are completely wrong.  Financial advisers get hired all day, and quit or get fired the next day.  They recruit people who have no other options, only pay them commission, and give them nothing during training if they do not have the correct license.  They sit there and demand you call everyone you know to sell them shit, but when your trainer sells them something, you don't get anything.
While they "study" to become financial advisers, they only study regulations and laws to pass the tests to get their licenses (which you can retake these tests btw) and they never learn anything about investing.

How do I know this, I fell into this sector not long ago, and thankfully left when I realized all they wanted to do is exploit my personal network for free leads.  I knew nothing about fiance, never took a business course in my life, couldn't get a job anywhere, but I can tell you that financial and life insurance companies were drooling over me.   

People who know shit about finance are analysts, the others are just doing what they can to make money.
Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 09:23:06 PM

Yah, the personal finance blogs and journos all say "speak to your financial advisor" but the job title seems to apply to a hell of a lot of network marketers, who have checkbox certification and are beholden to the company sales brainwashing. I don't think you get near a "real" one at most banks unless you are HNW. I don't remember the title the actual ones have, more like Wealth Management Consultant.... even then you'd be like "I want 10,000 apple shares." and they'd be all "I think a better product for you would be our Sunshine Unicorn Tech Ventures Fund."

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 10:53:16 PM

If they don't know what BTC is, that's really surprising. The Financial Times published several articles about it, and most economic publications have already talked about BTC.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: