Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 02:18:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitstamp hack bitcoins are now moving!  (Read 5361 times)
ncsupanda
Legendary

Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 11:32:12 PM

well, whomever hacked them should have no trouble laundering them.  Most bitcoin laundry services (mine included) don't care where the coins came from

I feel like this statement makes this entire thread a moot point.
doggieTattoo

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 03:20:34 AM

well, whomever hacked them should have no trouble laundering them.  Most bitcoin laundry services (mine included) don't care where the coins came from
I somehow doubt that anyone is going to trust you to launder their bitcoin after all the money you stole. Anyone stupid enough to use your service is asking to get scammed.

You are right though that mixing services do not check where the bitcoin came from nor does it matter because bitcoin is fungible

TIDEX ▬▬ .CRYPTO COINS AND ASSET TRADING. ▬▬ TIDEX
▬▬▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▬▬
NEW EXCHANGE   ZERO FEES
techgeeks

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 03:29:04 AM

Sad, this is where the price drop is going, hopefully the community can ingest the coins, and prevent issues like CEX.io having to close the cloud mining ops down.

A true set back on Bitcoin even as a competitor.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 03:40:30 AM

Sad, this is where the price drop is going, hopefully the community can ingest the coins, and prevent issues like CEX.io having to close the cloud mining ops down.

A true set back on Bitcoin even as a competitor.

virtually all cloud miniing is a scam.   it has to be by its nature.

techgeeks

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 03:44:27 AM

Not true, people rent my gear on MRR.  That in essence is cloud mining. It is up to the renter to decide whether they will make money or not.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 04:10:44 AM

Not true, people rent my gear on MRR.  That in essence is cloud mining. It is up to the renter to decide whether they will make money or not.

what makes you more money, renting the gear, or using it to mine?

cyberpinoy

Activity: 1008
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2015, 05:25:13 AM

Thats great we can watch them, but what more can be done. There has to eb a way to track them, they will have to make a mistake somewhere. I wish all the hackers could get caught and face the responsibility of theft. then they should put the coins they confiscated into a faucet that pays 1 BTC per hour to whoever fills it out. Why not give it back to the owners it was stolen from, because its time everyone who owns a business in bitcoin take it upon themselves to strengthen security, I am tired of seeing so many places being hacked, enough is enough, do your job and secure your members investments at any costs whatever it takes. The only way we will keep hackers from ruining the reputation of Bitcoins is to stop them in thier tracks if they cant hack they wont succeed. Find ways arounf thier bullshit. Its the same story all the time, DDOS this, HACK accounts that. So stop it then. Learn form mistakes of your past and the mistakes of others and fix the problem. Sorry to be blunt, but thats life.

picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 11:02:10 AM

Thats great we can watch them, but what more can be done. There has to eb a way to track them, they will have to make a mistake somewhere. I wish all the hackers could get caught and face the responsibility of theft. then they should put the coins they confiscated into a faucet that pays 1 BTC per hour to whoever fills it out. Why not give it back to the owners it was stolen from, because its time everyone who owns a business in bitcoin take it upon themselves to strengthen security, I am tired of seeing so many places being hacked, enough is enough, do your job and secure your members investments at any costs whatever it takes. The only way we will keep hackers from ruining the reputation of Bitcoins is to stop them in thier tracks if they cant hack they wont succeed. Find ways arounf thier bullshit. Its the same story all the time, DDOS this, HACK accounts that. So stop it then. Learn form mistakes of your past and the mistakes of others and fix the problem. Sorry to be blunt, but thats life.

I don't think they will make a big mistake. It is possible to catch them if some of them talk to relatives that go public about who they are or maybe by random luck if they get raid by the police and proofs are found on their computers.
Bitstamp should offer 2000 BTC for whoever help find at least 10 000 BTC of the 19 000 BTC lost.
jacktheking
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 11:12:08 AM

Agree to what others say, wish the hacker(s) could get caught. They stolen hard-earned cold (cold? umm..) Bitcoin. We might be able to trace something out from the wallet.

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!
picolo

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 12:22:07 PM

Agree to what others say, wish the hacker(s) could get caught. They stolen hard-earned cold (cold? umm..) Bitcoin. We might be able to trace something out from the wallet.

I don't think we will be able to trace anything because they will mix the coins carefully and in "small" sums of hundreds of BTC.
flipstyle

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 12:24:07 PM

Bitstamp should offer 2000 BTC for whoever help find at least 10 000 BTC of the 19 000 BTC lost.

Yeah, but why offer a bounty if they themselves were the ones who stole the coins....
picolo

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 12:59:26 PM

Yeah, but why offer a bounty if they themselves were the ones who stole the coins....

I don't think they were but who knows who stole the coin? Probably less than 10 people.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 03:51:49 PM

This thread is a long list of conjecture. Let's change that to conspiracy. What if all of the major hacks in the last couple of years were clandestine government attacks to discredit Bitcoin and limit its use?

The Prism program searches the Internet for references to Bitcoin. They discover chatter about a weakness in security at a Bitcoin company holding customer funds. That information is turned over to the CIA for research. The CIA then determines if exploitation is possible, develops a plan and then presents the information to the NSA for final execution.

Before you laugh and discount the idea, remember the CIA has overthrown governments and placed puppet regimes in power. This would be like child's play for them and definitely not the most heinous thing they've ever done.

picolo

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 08:19:22 PM

This thread is a long list of conjecture. Let's change that to conspiracy. What if all of the major hacks in the last couple of years were clandestine government attacks to discredit Bitcoin and limit its use?

The Prism program searches the Internet for references to Bitcoin. They discover chatter about a weakness in security at a Bitcoin company holding customer funds. That information is turned over to the CIA for research. The CIA then determines if exploitation is possible, develops a plan and then presents the information to the NSA for final execution.

Before you laugh and discount the idea, remember the CIA has overthrown governments and placed puppet regimes in power. This would be like child's play for them and definitely not the most heinous thing they've ever done.

It's plausible. I didn't think about it when bitstamp talked about the hack but it's a possiblity.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 09:42:02 PM

Remember when you told me to tell you...  Tongue
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 10:38:08 PM

Remember when you told me to tell you...  Tongue

LOL But I'm not attacking anyone personally.

bf4btc

Activity: 568

Smoke weed everyday!

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 12:08:36 AM

I would think an attacker would have better chances of successfully stealing bitcoin if they were to test for security vulnerabilities themselves? Exchanges likely keep communication about their security procedures (which would potentially contain their weaknesses) to a minimum and the NSA may not be even able to access them

████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████▄▄▄█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
████████▀▀▀██████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████▀▀▀▀████████

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 12:17:34 AM

I would think an attacker would have better chances of successfully stealing bitcoin if they were to test for security vulnerabilities themselves? Exchanges likely keep communication about their security procedures (which would potentially contain their weaknesses) to a minimum and the NSA may not be even able to access them

Prism breaks the law to spy on people. Bitstamp is either incompetent or an entity with amazing abilities stole from them. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

bf4btc

Activity: 568

Smoke weed everyday!

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 02:13:07 AM

Prism breaks the law to spy on people. Bitstamp is either incompetent or an entity with amazing abilities stole from them. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.
I don't think we really know the details of the exploit that was used so I really don't think that conclusion can be made yet. It would be possible that it was an inside job which are particularly difficult to defend against. It is also possible the hack was not even real and they made it up to show how "resistant" they would be to a hack/theft

████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████▄▄▄█████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
████████▀▀▀██████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████▀▀▀▀████████

SimplisticStu

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

♥Bitcoin-Ethereum-Ripple♥

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 02:32:31 AM

What is with the public note on this address https://blockchain.info/address/198Q2s455DKWaNtsHUDAT1fgwutjxsYqpx

It reads "I'm so a poor man and you are so rich and nasty!!!"

It was the first of the large withdrawals from the Bitstamp address  Huh
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: