Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 02:51:08 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitstamp hack bitcoins are now moving!  (Read 5358 times)
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 02:37:49 AM

This thread is a long list of conjecture. Let's change that to conspiracy. What if all of the major hacks in the last couple of years were clandestine government attacks to discredit Bitcoin and limit its use?

The Prism program searches the Internet for references to Bitcoin. They discover chatter about a weakness in security at a Bitcoin company holding customer funds. That information is turned over to the CIA for research. The CIA then determines if exploitation is possible, develops a plan and then presents the information to the NSA for final execution.

Before you laugh and discount the idea, remember the CIA has overthrown governments and placed puppet regimes in power. This would be like child's play for them and definitely not the most heinous thing they've ever done.
I would think an attacker would have better chances of successfully stealing bitcoin if they were to test for security vulnerabilities themselves? Exchanges likely keep communication about their security procedures (which would potentially contain their weaknesses) to a minimum and the NSA may not be even able to access them

Prism breaks the law to spy on people. Bitstamp is either incompetent or an entity with amazing abilities stole from them. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.
I don't think we really know the details of the exploit that was used so I really don't think that conclusion can be made yet. It would be possible that it was an inside job which are particularly difficult to defend against. It is also possible the hack was not even real and they made it up to show how "resistant" they would be to a hack/theft

That's probably the case. Does anyone still believe MtGox was hacked? It's more likely that they were all inside jobs.

bf4btc

Activity: 568
Merit: 500

Smoke weed everyday!

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 02:52:30 AM

This thread is a long list of conjecture. Let's change that to conspiracy. What if all of the major hacks in the last couple of years were clandestine government attacks to discredit Bitcoin and limit its use?

The Prism program searches the Internet for references to Bitcoin. They discover chatter about a weakness in security at a Bitcoin company holding customer funds. That information is turned over to the CIA for research. The CIA then determines if exploitation is possible, develops a plan and then presents the information to the NSA for final execution.

Before you laugh and discount the idea, remember the CIA has overthrown governments and placed puppet regimes in power. This would be like child's play for them and definitely not the most heinous thing they've ever done.
I would think an attacker would have better chances of successfully stealing bitcoin if they were to test for security vulnerabilities themselves? Exchanges likely keep communication about their security procedures (which would potentially contain their weaknesses) to a minimum and the NSA may not be even able to access them

Prism breaks the law to spy on people. Bitstamp is either incompetent or an entity with amazing abilities stole from them. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.
I don't think we really know the details of the exploit that was used so I really don't think that conclusion can be made yet. It would be possible that it was an inside job which are particularly difficult to defend against. It is also possible the hack was not even real and they made it up to show how "resistant" they would be to a hack/theft

That's probably the case. Does anyone still believe MtGox was hacked? It's more likely that they were all inside jobs.
I personally think gox was more of incompetence then bitstamp. The "hack" that brought down gox was not the first time it got hacked (I don't think it was even the 5th time it got hacked). I would say that the coins were probably stolen when bitcoin was trading well under a dollar so the amount was a small amount at the time and they just never bothered to reconcile the amount of bitcoin they should have had and the amount they actually had 

████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████▄▄▄█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▀██████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████▀▀▀▀████████

picolo

Activity: 1022

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 08:41:45 AM

I personally think gox was more of incompetence then bitstamp. The "hack" that brought down gox was not the first time it got hacked (I don't think it was even the 5th time it got hacked). I would say that the coins were probably stolen when bitcoin was trading well under a dollar so the amount was a small amount at the time and they just never bothered to reconcile the amount of bitcoin they should have had and the amount they actually had 

mtgox didn't even go public about the specifics of the hack right away and their cold wallets were compromised which is far more freightening than a hot wallet being compromised.
forevernoob

Activity: 687

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 10:50:02 PM

Do you think the "hacker" will sell the coins in a hurry now when the price crashing?

thriftshopping

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 11:55:34 PM

Do you think the "hacker" will sell the coins in a hurry now when the price crashing?

I don't see why they wouldn't. They didn't pay anything for the coins nor did they put anything of any real value into getting them. It would be in their best interest to sell the coins in a somewhat expedited fashion so they can avoid more advanced blockchain analysis to be done to determine where the coins went and what their identities are
picolo

Activity: 1022

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 01:36:35 PM

I don't see why they wouldn't. They didn't pay anything for the coins nor did they put anything of any real value into getting them. It would be in their best interest to sell the coins in a somewhat expedited fashion so they can avoid more advanced blockchain analysis to be done to determine where the coins went and what their identities are

It's reasonable to think they know very well about Bitcoin but they may want to use the coins to have some real assets in the real world so they need to sell the coins. If they get 4 millions out of the coins, they will be very happy even if they have a chance to get more if they wait for the price to increase.

In terms of getting caught, time is on their side because they can use it to mix the coins carefully.
Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 01:42:36 PM

It's probably safer to do in a high volume market also, which any significant price action, up or down tends to yield.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 03:56:59 PM

https://blockchain.info/address/1L2JsXHPMYuAa9ugvHGLwkdstCPUDemNCf

the hacked made another 1000 BTC    haha. how many stupids on this planet. they keep sending funds to that account.

that means another 200K at this time.   
Eastwind

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 19, 2015, 06:04:15 PM

https://blockchain.info/address/1L2JsXHPMYuAa9ugvHGLwkdstCPUDemNCf

the hacked made another 1000 BTC    haha. how many stupids on this planet. they keep sending funds to that account.

that means another 200K at this time.   

Sad to see people do not read announcement.
Timelord2067
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 2220

💲🏎️💨🚓

View Profile
February 08, 2016, 11:33:15 AM
Last edit: February 08, 2016, 11:52:03 AM by Timelord2067

Some of the recent coins link to 1KYXrw4Ftkmomfs4iyVXUSqQeRX75Unoi8 which in turns links to another thread where it was mentioned  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.msg8846318#msg8846318

The trail is as follows, notice the recent 29 bitcoin tx, if you follow it back like only two-three times you will see the coins some from 1KYXrw4Ftkmomfs4iyVXUSqQeRX75Unoi8

http://archive.is/G3WsZ Don't know what this discussion is about (ok, I can read the heading )

FriendlyChemist has it as his wallet address on his profile page...

8th February 2016.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=651947

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
February 08, 2016, 11:58:54 AM

i can argue the opposite, why he need to sell if he got all those coins for free? it's not like bitcoin is going to die tomorrow

if i were him i would hold now that there is the halving, it would be utterly stupid to sell all those coins on exchange causing a big dumping and depreciate his coins also

remember that he can not sell 20k coin at the current price, the first half alone will cause a major drop...
elizabethqueen

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 02:20:58 AM

can you tell me that is really happen?where you get it?any news for this explanation?or you just found bitcoin address that you suspected it and share here? -_-

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: