Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 10:31:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I move Bitcoin Core and my Armory Wallet?  (Read 1096 times)
Silveravin (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 09:28:36 PM

I am not sure if this has been answered on here or not. I've looked but couldn't find it. OK as you all know it takes so long to get the Bitcoin Core sync'd and build a database for your wallet (Armory). What I didn't know, because I am doing this for the first time with no help other than a few helpful Google searches, is that is also takes up A LOT of HDD space also, a lot. I am around 75GB right now and my wallet is still building a database. My question is can I move it from my main HDD to my secondary HDD without messing anything up or starting the process over? Is it as simple as copying it to the new location? Will my computer find it? I need to know soon. I have about 7GB left with 1 hour (of Building Database) left and I have deleted everything I possibly can. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys for your time.

I don't know if this helps:
I have a Mac OSX Yosemite
Main SSD (128GB)
Secondary HDD (300GB)
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4680

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 09:52:26 PM

I am not sure if this has been answered on here or not. I've looked but couldn't find it. OK as you all know it takes so long to get the Bitcoin Core sync'd and build a database for your wallet (Armory). What I didn't know, because I am doing this for the first time with no help other than a few helpful Google searches, is that is also takes up A LOT of HDD space also, a lot. I am around 75GB right now and my wallet is still building a database. My question is can I move it from my main HDD to my secondary HDD without messing anything up or starting the process over? Is it as simple as copying it to the new location? Will my computer find it? I need to know soon. I have about 7GB left with 1 hour (of Building Database) left and I have deleted everything I possibly can. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys for your time.

I don't know if this helps:
I have a Mac OSX Yosemite
Main SSD (128GB)
Secondary HDD (300GB)

Well, to start with, you can shut down the program before it finishes with the sync.  That way you won't run out of disk space.  When you start the program back up, it will pick up with the sync where it left off.

This will give you time to learn a bit more about how the software works, what needs to be moved, how to configure the program to find the data in the new location, etc.

Second of all, it seems odd that your wallet would be using 75GB.  I'm also on a Mac, also running Bitcoin Core, and my entire Bitcoin data directory is only 34GB.
Silveravin (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 10:25:53 PM

I FOUND SPACE! I deleted the Bootstrap.dat.old (21GB) file and now it's 31GB Bitcoin-qt and 25.2GB Armory. I will look into finding a way to move the files since you weren't that helpful. Thanks anyway...kinda.
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 12:50:44 PM

I FOUND SPACE! I deleted the Bootstrap.dat.old (21GB) file and now it's 31GB Bitcoin-qt and 25.2GB Armory. I will look into finding a way to move the files since you weren't that helpful. Thanks anyway...kinda.

Bitcoin-qt will look for the blockchain in specific (default) folder where it puts it, so I don't think you'd be able to move the blockchain to external HDD.

If you're too concerned about HDD space, try looking into MultiBit.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 12:58:59 PM
Last edit: January 08, 2015, 01:56:13 PM by Muhammed Zakir

Check whether this works or not:

Quote from: bitcoinarmory.com/troubleshooting/#q5
Close Bitcoin Core and Armory and then, navigate to alternate Bitcoin Core storage location and create the new target dir. Move everything from your Bitcoin Core home dir (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin) to the new target dir.

Navigate to the original Armory installation folder:
  • 32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Armory
  • 64-bit: C:\Program Files\Armory

Right-click on the file ArmoryQt.exe Select Send to and select Desktop (create shortcut). Go to your desktop, right click the new shortcut just created, and select Properties, select the Shortcut tab. Next, go to the Target field and add the following command line arguments to the end: --satoshi-datadir="new location" --datadir="new location". Start Armory using the newly created shortcut

For example, "C:\Program Files\Armory\ArmoryQt.exe"  --satoshi-datadir="F:\Bitcoin\new\home\dir" --datadir="F:\Armory\new\home\dir".

P.S. If you just want to move the databases, then add command --dbdir="<new location>"

~~MZ~~

ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 01:37:59 PM

Just move your coins out of that wallet and download and install this:

https://electrum.org/

Problem solved.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄