Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:57:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Price Volatility for Reserved Exchanges.  (Read 663 times)
Smack That Ace (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1094

Assalamu Alekum

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 10:11:19 PM

Hello,

I am in the process of setting up a Reserved/OTC exchange and have a question regarding two things.

1) Price Volatility.

How does a reserved exchange holding 15 to 30 Btc for selling to their customers with very minimal buying hedge against price volatility.
Lets say we buy 30 btc at 300 and the next day when an order comes in for 10 btc and the price is at 290, how is the exchange supposed to recover from the price drop.
Charging extra money from customers is not an option as we have kept a strict no premium policy.
If the price was going up, it wouldn't really matter as we would just be making a profit on the gain in price while holding on to the reserves.

2) Liquidity.

How is an exchange which has more customers buying bitcoin cover liquidity.
Is there a way to buy bitcoin below market price ?
Otherwise what is the most effective way to obtain bitcoin for our customers without charging insane premiums from them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Duke

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
conizer14

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 03:04:46 PM

I'm really looking forward to the input on these subjects as I'm interested in loss protection methods.
Smack That Ace (OP)
Legendary

Assalamu Alekum

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 03:34:32 PM

Yes.
I think before starting any bitcoin related business. These are the two very important things that an entrepreneur should look at.

Unfortunately there is no feedback about this yet thus showing that either people are facing the same issues or this is a subject not many have experience about.

Also my business is focused on bitcoin remittance thus making it even more important.

Regards

Duke

conizer14

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 03:38:54 PM

What is the lead time for order to delivery you hope to be able to supply on your sales?
conizer14

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 03:41:46 PM

In fact, if you want to shoot some ideas between us.... let me know and PM me your Skype and we can use IM on there if you wish
Smack That Ace (OP)
Legendary

Assalamu Alekum

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 03:45:03 PM

What is the lead time for order to delivery you hope to be able to supply on your sales?

Really Fast if not instant.

To operate as an OTC we need to have reserves.
This reserves will help with order fulling.
Currently speaking to a few dealers i have realized the potential is much more then 10 or 20 btc outgoing per day.
In coming is still something i have not been able to deal with.

Regards

Duke

I have sent you my skype details.

DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2015, 05:19:10 PM

Yeah, this is a major problem with OTC exchanges. If your fees aren't large enough to cover possible price fluctuations, you're going to have issues. And Bitcoin can be very, very volatile sometimes. 

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
Smack That Ace (OP)
Legendary

Assalamu Alekum

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 05:43:56 PM

Yeah, this is a major problem with OTC exchanges. If your fees aren't large enough to cover possible price fluctuations, you're going to have issues. And Bitcoin can be very, very volatile sometimes. 

Very true but i always wonder how exchanges like Coins.ph or coinjar manage this issue who have almost instant exchange time as soon as the order is put in.

I wouldnt say coinbase because they usually make people wait 4 days for their coin.

Duke!

newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 08:29:49 PM

Very true but i always wonder how exchanges like Coins.ph or coinjar manage this issue who have almost instant exchange time as soon as the order is put in.

I wouldnt say coinbase because they usually make people wait 4 days for their coin.

Duke!

There are instances where Circle returned money because of price jump after the order was locked. Just have it written in your ToS, that u can do so. As long as you are returning money/coin without any commission no one can charge you.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: