Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:02:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S1 setup  (Read 2277 times)
beginnerMiner (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 07:02:12 AM

Hi all I'm a beginner to the mining setup and I have two Antminer S1's. I have all the hardware setup correctly but am having trouble starting the mining process. The only way I can get to the antminer setup page is to connect the miner via ethernet directly to my laptop. I don't know if I have correctly connected it to the internet. I setup my pool setting as instructed by the pool and after saving and applying my updated pool settings, I disconnect the ethernet cord from my laptop and plug it directly into the ethernet port I have at home.

The miners are not mining since from my mining pool page, the pool is not noticing any hashing from my miners. Does anyone have any suggestions how to setup these miners for a newbie? I have looked through various tutorials online and none of them were able to set them up. Also, how do I know if the miners are mining without refering to the mining pool page?

Thank you!
kabopar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 09:44:32 AM

Hi all I'm a beginner to the mining setup and I have two Antminer S1's. I have all the hardware setup correctly but am having trouble starting the mining process. The only way I can get to the antminer setup page is to connect the miner via ethernet directly to my laptop. I don't know if I have correctly connected it to the internet. I setup my pool setting as instructed by the pool and after saving and applying my updated pool settings, I disconnect the ethernet cord from my laptop and plug it directly into the ethernet port I have at home.

The miners are not mining since from my mining pool page, the pool is not noticing any hashing from my miners. Does anyone have any suggestions how to setup these miners for a newbie? I have looked through various tutorials online and none of them were able to set them up. Also, how do I know if the miners are mining without refering to the mining pool page?

Thank you!
Check one of the S1 guides, such as Dogie's at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=355387.0, or Sushi's.  You need to make sure that the 2 S1's are set for different IP addresses that are within the address space of your router.  For example is your router sits at 192.168.1.1, set one S1 to 192.168.1.94 and the other to 192.168.1.95.  The 2 addresses need to avoid any clashes with existing devices on your LAN.  Once you've done this, you should be able to access the web gui of each antminer through your laptop while they are both connected to the LAN and internet.  I prefer to set them as recommended to a fixed IP address and use a wired LAN, follow the guides if you absolutely have to do something different.  Note that if you leave the IP address unchanged, they both default to 192.168.1.99, so if you have 2, there would be a clash and it won't work.  Can you access the web gui when the antminers are connected to the LAN?  What sort of display do you get?  You may try running one at a time to confirm that it works by itself.
Note that S1 is probably obsolete as in most places it would consume more in electricity than generating in BTC.

Cheers
beginnerMiner (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 11:20:07 PM

Will the miners automatically connect to the internet if I connect them via ethernet? Once I connect them via ethernet how do I find them on the network?

Thanks
aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 11:25:22 PM

Will the miners automatically connect to the internet if I connect them via ethernet? Once I connect them via ethernet how do I find them on the network?

Thanks

On my Iphone I down loaded the app Fing and it shows all the IP being used on the modem. The S1 should show up as Paragon Technologies or it maybe Shenzhen.

Edit: You could always just hit the reset button and the IP should be 192.168.1.99 then you can change them to any unused IP.
Crypto9er

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 11:26:56 PM

Thanks

Yes, they should connect automatically. Open command line and type "arp -a". You should see all the devices in your network, get your miners IPs from there and visit them from your browser to configure.

Crypto9er.

beginnerMiner (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 11:29:07 PM

Where is the reset button on the miner?
Crypto9er

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 11:31:32 PM

Where is the reset button on the miner?

- Use a paperclip to press the reset button - located next to the ethernet connector - down for
5-10 seconds. The miner will then reset with stock settings.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=355387.0

Crypto9er.

beginnerMiner (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 12:15:43 AM

So I reset both miners and plugged one in via ethernet but I don't see a "Paragon Technologies or it maybe Shenzhen."
aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 12:21:53 AM
Last edit: January 10, 2015, 12:40:11 AM by aurel57

So I reset both miners and plugged one in via ethernet but I don't see a "Paragon Technologies or it maybe Shenzhen."

Where are you looking for the IP's at?

My S1's either showed up with the name of Paragon Technologies or Shenzhen SHX Technologies

but now that you have reset the miner try to just type in 192.168.1.99 in your browser

I just read your first post here that you have already set your pool information? if so they should have started mining to your pool? Now that you have reset the miners back to default you will need to config your pool information again.
beginnerMiner (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 06:16:52 AM

I still am unable to find the S1's even when I enter 192.168.1.99 after the reset. When I searched through all the ip addresses I still couldn't find the connected via ethernet antminer's ip address
Zich
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 06:28:20 AM

I still am unable to find the S1's even when I enter 192.168.1.99 after the reset. When I searched through all the ip addresses I still couldn't find the connected via ethernet antminer's ip address

What is your computer ip address?
It's need to be on same prefix with miner, example 192.168.1.10.
beginnerMiner (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 06:44:33 AM

So I setup another network on my laptop just to see if the antminer's were connected. I was unable to see the antminers on the new network. For some reason the antminers are not connecting immediately after I connect them with an ethernet cord.

Also can antminers connect via wifi without an antenna?
beginnerMiner (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 07:26:31 AM

Does anyone know how I can tell if I successful reset the antminers?
Zich
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 07:42:24 AM

So I setup another network on my laptop just to see if the antminer's were connected. I was unable to see the antminers on the new network. For some reason the antminers are not connecting immediately after I connect them with an ethernet cord.

No, that only for configure purpose. Once you can access the configuration page, you need to change the miner ip address.
kabopar

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 09:16:08 AM

No, that only for configure purpose. Once you can access the configuration page, you need to change the miner ip address.
What IP range is covered by your router?  The Antminer needs to be set to a fixed IP in that range.  If your router is at 192.168.1.1, then the Antminers can be at for example 192.168.1.91 and 192.168.1.92 (assuming that your router supports this range of addresses).  If your router is at 10.0.0.1 and can cover 99 addresses then you'll need to set the fixed IP address to for example 10.0.0.91 and 10.0.0.92.
First you need to check your LAN/Router configuration, and select a couple of free, fixed addresses in the subnet supported by your router.
If you cannot find the antminer(s) on your LAN using the network scanning tools, you may use an 'isolated' PC, which is set to a fixed IP address (disable DHCP and set it to something in the range supported by the factory reset antminer, say 192.168.1.1).  This PC is connected directly by cable (ideally a crossover cable, but most modern PC ethernet ports would cope with a 'straight' cable as well) just to one Antminer at a time.  Power on both PC and antminer  (they will not connect to the internet, just to one another).  Enter the antminer IP address (if it was just factory reset, that would be 192.168.1.99, unless there is something else written on the sticker on the front) into your browser, and configure the antminer to the desired 'final' IP address.  Do the same for the 2nd Antminer (but use the second free IP address in the final range that you need for your LAN).
Now change the PC configuration back to normal and connect the antminer(s) to your LAN.  You should be able to log into your Antminer(s) now by entering the fixed IP address(es) that you set in the previous step.
If you followed the guides carefully you would have been mining already.

Cheers
beginnerMiner (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 07:27:54 PM

How am I suppose to change the fixed ip address without access the antminer config page? Am I suppose to connect it directly to my computer? And my router is 10.154.192.1
kabopar

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 12:04:31 PM

How am I suppose to change the fixed ip address without access the antminer config page? Am I suppose to connect it directly to my computer? And my router is 10.154.192.1
You probably cannot see the antminer on your network, as its factory default IP address is 192.168.1.99, which is probably not supported by your router's address range.
Can log into your router's configuration and check what is the address range that it supports, and select 2 unused addresses in that range?  Assuming that you found that address 10.154.192.90 and 10.154.192.91 are those address.  Now disconnect your computer from the network and setup an 'isolated network' between your PC and 1 antminer.
To do this you would ideally use a 'crossover' Ethernet cable (which usually is red in color).  This may not be an absolute must, as many modern PC Ethernet ports would automatically reconfigure to support a normal 'straight' ethernet cable.  Your other option is to use an ethernet switch with 2 'normal' Ethernet patch cables (this needs to be an isolated switch which is not connected to the rest of your LAN).
Next you need to disconnect your PC from your LAN and configure the PC which is used for this for a fixed IP address. Assuming that you use Windows 7, this can be done by going into Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections, select your wired LAN adapter, properties, change the IP4 settings from 'obtain an IP address automatically' to 'use the following IP address' and enter something in the 192.168.x.x range, say 192.168.1.2  (this is necessary, so that both the PC and the 'factory reset' Antminer are both at the same subnet).
Connect the LAN cable between the PC and the Antminer and turn the antminer power supply on  (assuming that you have a paper-clip or similar arrangement to turn the power supply on).
Now open your web browser and type 192.168.1.99 in the address bar and press 'enter'.  If your antminer is at factory default settings, you should now see the web gui login screen in your browser.  The default login is 'root' and 'root' as password.
To modify the antminer address settings go to the Network tab, don't touch the LAN setting, modify the WAN setting by clicking on 'Edit' and then modifying the IPv4 address to your chosen address (in our example it is 10.154.192.90), 'IPv4 gateway' change to your router address, which is as you stated 10.154.192.1 (a rather strange address, hopefully it is correct). For 'Use custom DNS servers' enter again your router's address, or your IP provider's address (you might want to add a second DNS server such as Google 8.8.8.Cool. Leave all other LAN settings as they are.  Click 'save and apply'.  Shut down this antminer.  Replace it with the second one, except now set it for the second address (10.154.192.91 in our example).  When you are done, change the PC lan interface back to DHCP and connect the 2 antminers to your LAN. Now you should be able to see them at the new nominated addresses (10.154.192.90 and 10.154.192.91) in your browser, they should connect to the internet and start mining on the test pools.  Change the settings to your pool(s) and start your mining.

Cheers
beginnerMiner (OP)

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 06:08:24 AM

Thank you first of all kabopar for all the help. I was able to change the miner's ip address to 10.154.192.90 but when I connect the miner to the network and search for all connect devices I am unable to find the antminer still. Could the problem be, the network I am using is reassigning the miner an ip address when I connect it.
kabopar

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 10:10:51 AM

Thank you first of all kabopar for all the help. I was able to change the miner's ip address to 10.154.192.90 but when I connect the miner to the network and search for all connect devices I am unable to find the antminer still. Could the problem be, the network I am using is reassigning the miner an ip address when I connect it.
Congratulations on making some progress. Strange that the antminer is not visible on your network.  I don't think that the router can modify the antminer's address, if you set it as a fixed address. There could be a faulty component - try swapping the Ethernet cable between the Antminer and your switch or router with another cable.  Try using another port on the switch or router that the Antminer connects to (had some instances that a port got 'zapped' by lightning induced transients).  Usually the switch or router has an indicator light for each port - can you see that the port recognizes that the cable from the Antminer is plugged-in?  If your router supports LAN IP assignment, you could 'pre-allocate' the same fixed IP address that you set up in the LAN gui to that antminer (you'll need to find the MAC address of that device, which sounds like a 'chicken and egg' situation, as the easiest way to find that is to check your router configuration... however you could also reconnect the PC directly to the antminer to find the MAC address).
Did you remember to re-configure your PC back to DHCP mode?
Did you set the WAN address on the Antminer?  (you don't need to change the LAN, only the WAN, this is confusing as the controller board used was probably meant to be a router, but as per all the guides and direct experience, the only part that you need to set is the WAN).
Are you certain that your router covers the IP address range that you set the antminer to?  (check your router configuration).  Is there a chance that there is another device already using the IP address that you set the antminer to?

What make/type of router are you using?
Can you post screen shots of your Anminer's configuration screens for the network settings?

I have followed this routine with plenty of S1's and S3's and it always worked fine for me.
Cheers
beginnerMiner (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2015, 06:49:31 PM

kabopar thank you for your help. I was able to setup the miners with wifi.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: