Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:07:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A Business Primer on the Bitcoin Ecosystem - Erik Voorhees  (Read 6345 times)
Yankee (BitInstant) (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2012, 05:12:25 PM
Last edit: July 05, 2012, 06:50:54 PM by Yankee (BitInstant)

Hey All,

Erik wrote a fantastic post which came out of our need to have a 'Bitcoin business primer' to educate our partners and associates.

It's a nice read, feel free to comment and make suggestions for additions.

A Business Primer on the Bitcoin Ecosystem

Erik Voorhees
June 29, 2012

Summary
The following is a primer on the new financial technology known as “Bitcoin.” It describes the utility of the system, the types of companies and individuals who use it, and some of the risks and opportunities presented.

http://blog.bitinstant.com/blog/2012/7/5/a-business-primer-on-the-bitcoin-ecosystem-erik-voorhees.html

EDIT (Updated): Direct link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14454595/Bitcoin%20Business%20Primer%20-%20Erik%20Voorhees.pdf

-Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 05:17:59 PM
Last edit: July 05, 2012, 05:31:21 PM by Serge

quick clarification: HTML is not a protocol, HTTP is (may not matter for non-techies)

good read overall
acoindr
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 05:35:22 PM

quick clarification: HTML is not a protocol, HTTP is (may not matter for non-techies)

Non-techies probably wouldn't catch it, but non-techies often do find actual techies to help them understand things and form opinions.

I think it's better to be accurate. I would replace 'HTML' with 'HTTP' and maybe just add in parenthesis "what largely powers the Internet".
bracek

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 05:46:25 PM

typo

PayPay, by contrast, only works in certain countries
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:03:54 PM

Okay, while we're all picking Erik's post apart (sorry, Erik, if our writing was as publicly in demand as yours we'd have to endure the same Wink ) I would definitely capitalize "internet" as a proper noun.

Other than that, yet another fantastically coherent, educational post from Mr. Voorhees!

I particularly think this line should be blurbed out to news outlets:

All money is essentially digital in today's modern world, yet still it requires tremendous delay and burden for many functions. There is no reason that a digital payment of US dollars from one country to another should take a matter of days, when a digital email is sent and received in a second. Bitcoin makes money as efficient as email.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2012, 06:06:21 PM

A good introduction for business people.

There are a couple of acronyms (AML, KYC) that would I think benefit from a quick (anti-money laundering) and (know your customer) after their first use.

I know the doc has a business focus, but it might be worth adding that the majority of bitcoin software is open source and hence is available for businesses to reuse / customise for their own purposes for absolutely no money at all. There are no licences for any technologies or patents or anything.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
mcorlett
Donator

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:15:22 PM

Further, Bitcoin payments cannot be reversed, meaning a merchant can feel completely safe receiving a Bitcoin payment, because it will not be withdrawn days or weeks later.
Really? This is the second time Mr. Voorhees doesn't have his facts right.

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:22:29 PM

Further, Bitcoin payments cannot be reversed, meaning a merchant can feel completely safe receiving a Bitcoin payment, because it will not be withdrawn days or weeks later.
Really? This is the second time Mr. Voorhees doesn't have his facts right.

A Bitcoin payment can be reversed?? Might want to let the devs know.
evoorhees
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:38:27 PM

Fixed, thanks.

typo

PayPay, by contrast, only works in certain countries

Fixed, thanks.

I would definitely capitalize "internet" as a proper noun.

Fixed, thanks.

There are a couple of acronyms (AML, KYC) that would I think benefit from a quick (anti-money laundering) and (know your customer) after their first use.

Fixed, thanks.
mcorlett
Donator

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:40:51 PM

Yes, using the 51% attack.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:46:54 PM

Dude, come on.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:48:09 PM

Dude, come on.

Reading through the other thread, I doubt mcorlett understands the requirements, and limitations, of the 51% attack.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:51:29 PM

Dude, come on.

Reading through the other thread, I doubt mcorlett understands the requirements, and limitations, of the 51% attack.
I'm sure he does, he's just being obtuse and Luke-Jr-ish.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
evoorhees
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:53:21 PM

LOL mcorlett... that's like saying physical cash payments are "reversible" because after you accept the cash thieves could break into your store later that night and steal the cash.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:53:33 PM

Dude, come on.

Either way, good job Erik... that article is about the purest distillation of Bitcoin I've come across yet.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:54:08 PM

LOL.  care to give us some examples?
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:56:42 PM

Obtain 51%
Roll back the tx log.

What he is saying is correct, but like evoorhees said above, it's like saying that cash is reversible because thieves could break in and steal it. Obtuse.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:57:40 PM

Obtain 51%
Roll back the tx log.

What he is saying is correct, but like evoorhees said above, it's like saying that cash is reversible because thieves could break in and steal it. Obtuse.

i meant examples of it actually happening so we can become scared.
mcorlett
Donator

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 07:00:33 PM

If you think I am at fault, please feel free to point out specifically what you're referring to. It's hard to respond when you don't know what someone is talking about.

There is something about that word that brings back memories of The Shawshank Redemption.

I believe it's been done on the testnet and on some alternate chains, where it is not economically difficult.

LOL mcorlett... that's like saying physical cash payments are "reversible" because after you accept the cash thieves could break into your store later that night and steal the cash.
No. It's not. The equivalent to what you describe would be the thieves breaking into your store and stealing the private keys.

Nyhm

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2012, 07:02:25 PM

This is overall very solid and especially informative for non-tech folks.

My favorite quote: "Bitcoin makes money as efficient as email."

My least favorite quote: "... this was thought to be impossible until Bitcoin accomplished it"

I wouldn't say "thought to be impossible," because surely many cryptographers probably thought it was possible (somehow). I studied digital currency in grad school and recall papers (sorry, no references) discussing just such topics, although I cannot say for certain if they provided any workable solutions. Bitcoin certainly solves the problem in a brilliantly elegant way. Pedagogical arguments aside, the statement just doesn't sit well with me.

Please don't get me wrong - I don't mean to dwell on the negative. This is a great resource, and I would recommend it highly to anyone.

[Bitcoin Game List] ~ [BitcoinGalaxy.net Live Bitcoin Visualization] ~ [PotentialGames.com]
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: