Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:09:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I get a bitcoin adress?  (Read 1412 times)
startravel (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 06:57:25 PM

Ultra-noob here. How do i get a bitcoin adress to deposit coins in? Do I need to download one of these wallet programs?  Please halp a newbie out.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nyhm

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2012, 07:06:53 PM

Welcome to the community! You are exactly right. You need a wallet program (or online wallet service). There are many to choose from, but I stared at bitcoin.org.

[Bitcoin Game List] ~ [BitcoinGalaxy.net Live Bitcoin Visualization] ~ [PotentialGames.com]
startravel (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 07:13:00 PM

Welcome to the community! You are exactly right. You need a wallet program (or online wallet service). There are many to choose from, but I stared at bitcoin.org.

Thank you! I just downloaded the wallet from your link. So now i got an adress to:) 16dWZfJ9JR2gGtR8NjLi1FAekSy6ZUd2Yn   

Yippi! =)
startravel (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 07:14:20 PM

I can see that the bitcoin Wallet is using quite som time to sync with the network. Is this because its looking for transactions made to my btc adress?
mcorlett
Donator

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 07:16:37 PM

I can see that the bitcoin Wallet is using quite som time to sync with the network. Is this because its looking for transactions made to my btc adress?
Not necessarily; because every transaction depends on an earlier transaction, your client needs the full history of the Bitcoin network (all the way back to the beginning) in order to be certain that the bitcoins your receive are "legitimate".

You will only have to download the full transaction history once, so it will be much quicker in the future.

startravel (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 07:19:57 PM

Not necessarily; because every transaction depends on an earlier transaction, your client needs the full history of the Bitcoin network (all the way back to the beginning) in order to be certain that the bitcoins your receive are "legitimate".

You will only have to download the full transaction history once, so it will be much quicker in the future.
[/quote]

I understand. Thank you!
dli7319

Activity: 20

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 07:26:48 PM

i just use an online wallet to rid the hassle
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 07:42:38 PM

I just sent you a bitcent so you can see how it works. Once you have fully downloaded the entire blockchain you will be able to spend it.
-Cheers Cheesy

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 07:52:05 PM

Welcome to Bitcoin! Smiley

It's downloading the full blockchain to your computer, which is currently 2.7GB.
Then it must verify it. This one-time process typically takes between 6 and 48 hours depending on your system.

If you have limited bandwidth, storage, or patience, feel free to check out the "light" clients (Electrum or MultiBit), which work without downloading the blockchain and can therefore be up and running in minutes.  

See this chart for an overview of the 4 main desktop clients.
Nyhm

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2012, 08:43:45 PM

Thank you! I just downloaded the wallet from your link. So now i got an adress to:) 16dWZfJ9JR2gGtR8NjLi1FAekSy6ZUd2Yn   

Yippi! =)

Just for more info, I always recommend the bitcoin.org client to begin with, because it's the defacto standard, and should be the most stable/reliable of the lot. That said, I find that some of its features are a bit complicated for new users. Nonetheless, you've already discovered some of the remarkable qualities of Bitcoin:

• You are able to start using Bitcoin almost immediately (well, after about 8 hours of griding your hard drive)
  • There are a variety of choices to fit your personal needs (open standards)
  • There is no central "registration" - no one needs your personal info (some say pseudo-anonymous)

Just remember, the wallet.dat file created by the bitcoin.org client holds your private key(s), so keep it safe.

(PS. I also sent you 0.01BTC. It's actually the first I've ever sent, and I only have a couple myself so far, all due to the generosity of others.)

Edit: Woah - It just came back! I presume you sent the same value back as a test? If so, success. Another great feature of Bitcoin: Wicked fast.

[Bitcoin Game List] ~ [BitcoinGalaxy.net Live Bitcoin Visualization] ~ [PotentialGames.com]
ildubbioso

Activity: 389

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 10:42:32 PM

remember to encrypt the wallet  Smiley settings -> encrypt wallet.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2012, 10:45:35 PM

i just use an online wallet to rid the hassle

but that those online wallets are so insecure startravel you are doing the right thing get the real bitcoin client

And remember that your own personal wallet is only as secure as you yourself make it!

Still around.
startravel (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 12:46:40 AM

I just sent you a bitcent so you can see how it works. Once you have fully downloaded the entire blockchain you will be able to spend it.
-Cheers Cheesy

I have recieved the bitcent you sent me! Thank you very much. Im starting to love this innovation allready=)
startravel (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 12:47:33 AM

Yippi! =)

Just for more info, I always recommend the bitcoin.org client to begin with, because it's the defacto standard, and should be the most stable/reliable of the lot. That said, I find that some of its features are a bit complicated for new users. Nonetheless, you've already discovered some of the remarkable qualities of Bitcoin:

• You are able to start using Bitcoin almost immediately (well, after about 8 hours of griding your hard drive)
  • There are a variety of choices to fit your personal needs (open standards)
  • There is no central "registration" - no one needs your personal info (some say pseudo-anonymous)

Just remember, the wallet.dat file created by the bitcoin.org client holds your private key(s), so keep it safe.

(PS. I also sent you 0.01BTC. It's actually the first I've ever sent, and I only have a couple myself so far, all due to the generosity of others.)

Edit: Woah - It just came back! I presume you sent the same value back as a test? If so, success. Another great feature of Bitcoin: Wicked fast.

I have also recieved your bitcent, however i dident send anything back. So it wasent from me you got it. I can send you the cent back if you want to? Cheers!
startravel (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 12:49:57 AM

Also, big thanks to everyone who replied to my noobquestion. Next step is to start buying some coins. Thanks all!
Nyhm

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2012, 01:02:41 AM

I have also recieved your bitcent, however i dident send anything back. So it wasent from me you got it. I can send you the cent back if you want to? Cheers!

No, by all means, keep it! And thanks to the (pseudo-)anonymous gentleman/woman who sent me a bit penny - I am much obliged.

startravel (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 01:07:42 AM

No, by all means, keep it! And thanks to the (pseudo-)anonymous gentleman/woman who sent me a bit penny - I am much obliged.

Very kind of you!:) When i recieved the cent, the sender field said "unknown". Is it supposed to be unknown to the reciever from whom he get coins?
startravel (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 01:10:30 AM

One more question, i encrypted my wallet, but the client doesnt ask for a passphrase when i start it. Why is this?
TehZomB

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 01:11:39 AM

Very kind of you!:) When i recieved the cent, the sender field said "unknown". Is it supposed to be unknown to the reciever from whom he get coins?

It's a way of simplifying things, since a transaction can have tens of inputs. It also prevents false information (if you thought you got a bitcoin from one address, for example, instead of .25 bitcoins from four).
ildubbioso

Activity: 389

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 09:38:52 AM

One more question, i encrypted my wallet, but the client doesnt ask for a passphrase when i start it. Why is this?

The client asks for the passphrase when you make a transaction  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: