Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:15:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Recovering wallet  (Read 1242 times)
petermeuris (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 09:06:58 PM

Hello all,

I have an encrypted wallet.dat backup from half a year ago, and want to recover its content.

1/ Downloaded bitcoin-0.6.3-linux
2/ Added the wallet.dat in  ~/.bitcoin
3/ Downloaded the blockchain.

However the sum of all the (ca 200) transactions is not equal to what I knew was the total amount in the wallet.

4/ I did a -rescan, but no change.
5/ I did not create extra addresses other than the default ones, to my knowledge.

Still I lost some coins ....

Any advice here ?

"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 09:35:51 PM

I have an encrypted wallet.dat backup from half a year ago, and want to recover its content.

How many total "spends" have occurred since the backup was made?

By default the wallet has a keypool of 100 keys.  These are 100 "future" keypairs.  Each "spend" (outgoing tx) uses 1 new key from the keypool for change.  Each time you request a new address for incoming tx uses a key.  If you used more than 100 keys since the backup was made then any tx past the first 100 are irrevocably lost.
petermeuris (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 04:10:12 AM

After import some of the transactions show n/a as address. What does this mean ?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 06, 2012, 09:03:43 PM

After import some of the transactions show n/a as address. What does this mean ?

After "import"?  Do you mean after restoring the wallet.dat, or, are you actually importing -- i.e., trying to use pywallet or something to manually import the keys from the old wallet?

Also, you might try -upgradewallet, perhaps if there is a data corruption problem that the upgrade to the current format will resolve it?

But, make sure to not delete or overwrite your backup from six months ago, just in case.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Pieter Wuille
Legendary

Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2012, 12:20:00 PM

Also, you might try -upgradewallet, perhaps if there is a data corruption problem that the upgrade to the current format will resolve it?

No, that won't help. If there was a corruption, 0.6.3 would complain whether it was an old or a new wallet.

I do Bitcoin stuff.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: