Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:46:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. & Bitcoin Embrace Freedom twitter.com/MLKsIHaveADream  (Read 2652 times)
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 01:44:36 AM
Last edit: January 15, 2015, 02:25:22 AM by Gleb Gamow

EDIT: Changed the title again, and letting you folks know that https://twitter.com/MLKsIHaveADream is live with all 86 tweets in place.

EDIT: I changed the title from Although traction has yet to be had, would... to what's seen now. Reason? Time sensitive. I'm duly seeking input to see if this endeavor is feasible prior to proceeding. Thanks, in advance.

I put this together the other day to commemorate Marc Andreessen's 26 iconic tweets about Bitcoin: https://twitter.com/1A1zP1eP5QGefi2

I'm willing to take on another like project, namely Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s I Have a Dream speech: http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm

The question I have is would that speech be appropriate for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day on January 19, 2015, given that the original speech was delivered on August 28, 1963?

Math wise it'll take about mid-60 posts to accomplish at the using all 144 character rate, but realistically, we're looking more at ~100 tweets. Ideally, 86 tweets would be symbolic to his age if he were still with us today: (January 15, 1929 – April 4, 1968).

I'm almost certain I could accomplish it in 86 tweets, having the text broken up in the spirit it was pen slash read, creating a mock-up prior of course.

I'm über sure I can create a proper theme, et al., but would need an appropriate existing bitcoin wallet address to include in the bio so that all the resulting BTC would go to worthy cause. Taxing my memory, I believe there's a couple candidates I could review that Bitcoin100 endowed. Any suggestions in this regard would be appreciated.

Another thing I can incorporate in the bio is a link(?) for one of them Twitter tip jar thingies.

In concert, I could during the interim do the same approach for Satoshi Nakamoto's white paper, again, having the end result being the white paper tweeted in reverse order, thus upon completion readable from the last tweet scrolling down to the first, including the images found within tweeted accordingly.

Visit https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=915395.msg10062564#msg10062564 to see what other comments I've penned about this Twitter Meets Cryptocurrency thingy.

Look forward to your feedback.

EDIT: I referenced in a post that the B-points were in the OP, but just realized that that's not the case, hence their inclusion below.

Input from the community for the following would be appreciative:

• Header design.
  • Appropriate image of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. for the avatar.
  • An active bitcoin wallet address in the bio where donations will be sent.
  • The same for the tip jar thingy.
  • An appropriate website link.
  • An official site and user names.
  • The theme color, mainly it's the color of the links (red and brown and #000 is definitely out of the question for obvious reasons).
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 02:11:54 PM
Last edit: January 15, 2015, 02:01:11 AM by Gleb Gamow

DONE!

Still seeking feedback.

EDIT:

I'm now using this post to format the tweets.

The numbers represent the character count from the last count. Serendipitously, the first tweet (the last one tweeted) has a character count just below the allowable 144 characters on Twitter, thus only 85 creatively formatted tweets to go.

Sans all the spacing that's counted as characters, mathematically, the minimum number of tweets to accomplish the task uninterrupted, but terrible to read, is 64. Not a lot of leeway to cite I Have a Dream into exactly 86 tweets that's not only readable, the easy part, but to maintain the spirit, and what that encompasses, of the iconic speech. But, I, too, now have a dream to accomplish the task at hand.

As I complete the various tweets, I'll check it off, including the character count in bold green text.

The following will start being tweeted at midnight January 15, 2015, UTC, to commemorate Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s 86th birthday, the first tweet being #1 to the last tweet #86, inclusive. Only the actual original content will be tweeted, not the tweet number, character count or checkmarks as depicted below, for those were only used doing the formatting and verification process.

86:  I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our nation.  137  

85:  Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This  123  

84:  momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of Negro slaves who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice.  139  

83:  It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of their captivity.

But one hundred years later, the Negro still is not free.

82:  One hundred years later, the life of the Negro is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination.  135  

81:  One hundred years later, the Negro lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity.  123  

80:  One hundred years later, the Negro is still languished in the corners of American society and finds himself an exile in his own land.  133  

79:  And so we've come here today to dramatize a shameful condition. In a sense  63  

78:  we've come to our nation's capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and  139  

77:  the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was a  126  

76:  promise that all men, yes, black men as well as white men, would be guaranteed the "unalienable Rights" of "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of  140  

75:  Happiness." It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note, insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead  139  

74:  of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check, a check which has come back marked "insufficient funds."  140  

73:  But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt.  62  

72:  We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this nation.  105  

71:  And so, we've come to cash this check, a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of justice.  127  

70:  We have also come to this hallowed spot to remind America of the fierce urgency of Now.  87  

69:  This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism.  103  

68:  Now is the time to make real the promises of democracy.  55  

67:  Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice.  110  

66:  Now is the time to lift our nation from the quicksands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood.  108  

65:  Now is the time to make justice a reality for all of God's children.  68  

64:  It would be fatal for the nation to overlook the urgency of the moment. This sweltering summer of the Negro's legitimate discontent  131  

63:  will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality. Nineteen sixty-three is not an end, but a beginning.  129  

62:  And those who hope that the Negro needed to blow off steam and will now be content will have a rude awakening if the nation  123  

61:  returns to business as usual. And there will be neither rest nor tranquility in America until the Negro is granted his citizenship rights.  138  

60:  The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our nation until the bright day of justice emerges.  118  

59:  But there is something that I must say to my people, who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice: In the process  139  

58:  of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from  138  

57:  the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our  137  

56:  creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again, we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force  134  

55:  with soul force. The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the Negro community must not lead us to a distrust of all white people, for  139  

54:  many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny.  139  

53:  And they have come to realize that their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom.  86  

52:  We cannot walk alone.

And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall always march ahead.

We cannot turn back.

51:  There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, "When will you be satisfied?"  90  

50:  We can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality. We can never be satisfied  134  

49:  as long as our bodies, heavy with the fatigue of travel, cannot gain lodging in the motels of the highways and the hotels of the cities.  135  

48:  We cannot be satisfied as long as the negro's basic mobility is from a smaller ghetto to a larger one.  102  

47:  We can never be satisfied as long as our children are stripped of their self-hood and robbed of their dignity by signs stating:  127  

46:  "For Whites Only."  18  

45:  We cannot be satisfied as long as a Negro in Mississippi cannot vote and a Negro in New York believes he has nothing for which to vote.  135  

44:  No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until "justice rolls down like waters, and righteousness like a mighty stream."  138  

43:  I am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of great trials and tribulations. Some of you have come fresh from narrow jail cells.  140  

42:  And some of you have come from areas where your quest -- quest for freedom left you battered by the storms of persecution and staggered by  138  

41:  the winds of police brutality. You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is  139  

40:  redemptive. Go back to Mississippi, go back to Alabama, go back to South Carolina, go back to Georgia, go back to Louisiana,  124  

39:  go back to the slums and ghettos of our northern cities, knowing that somehow this situation can and will be changed.  117  

38:  Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends.  75  

37:  And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.  139  

36:  I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:  96  

35:  "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."  74  

34:  I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia,  56  

33:  the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.  124  

32:  I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi,  58  

31:  a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.  144  

30:  I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation  73  

29:  where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.  95  

28:  I have a dream today!  21  

27:  I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists,  71  

26:  with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of "interposition" and "nullification" -- one day right there in Alabama  130  

25:  little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.  124  

24:  I have a dream today!  21  

23:  I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain,  142  

22:  and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together."  128  

21:  This is our hope, and this is the faith that I go back to the South with.  73  

20:  With this faith, we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith, we will be able to  123  

19:  transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith, we will be able to work together,  138  

18:  to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.  135  

17:  And this will be the day -- this will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with new meaning:  114  

16:  My country 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing.  63  

15:  Land where my fathers died, land of the Pilgrim's pride,

From every mountainside, let freedom ring!

14:  And if America is to be a great nation, this must become true.

And so let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire.

13:  Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York.  55  

12:  Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania.  66  

11:  Let freedom ring from the snow-capped Rockies of Colorado.  58  

10:  Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of California.  58  

9:  But not only that:  18  

8:  Let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia.  48  

7:  Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee.  52  

6:  Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi.  61  

5:  From every mountainside, let freedom ring.  42  

4:  And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet,  111  

3:  from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men,  122  

2:  Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual:  122  

1:  Free at last! Free at last!

Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!
Maria-BTE

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 02:19:20 PM

My reply to you old friend is to look into BTE. Spread your focus. You will be ok.

Maria.
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 02:41:17 PM

I purposely changed the title to garner more eyeballs to this thread. I also edited the OP to reflect such. Still seeking input, thanking you folks in advance.
mikewirth

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 03:10:43 PM

I purposely changed the title to garner more eyeballs to this thread. I also edited the OP to reflect such. Still seeking input, thanking you folks in advance.
Next thing you know, you'll be calling Andreesen a pedo.  We all have seen how you work you nutjob.  How about giving your keyboard a well needed rest. 
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 03:35:49 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2015, 03:49:54 PM by Gleb Gamow

Next thing you know, you'll be calling Andreesen a pedo.  We all have seen how you work you nutjob.  How about giving your keyboard a well needed rest.  

Thanks for your valuable input (as I bite my tongue from expressing how I really feel  Tongue). PM sent.

One of the goals is to get the following hashtag trending on Twitter on January 19, 2014: #DMLKJTributeTweets (or #IHaveADreamTweets/#IHaveADreamTweeted).

If Max Keiser's RT (I know it's not his) is up to the task, ideally, I desire it to be the first major periodical to broadcast that the account exist, whereupon other major periodicals pick it up in a timely manner, given we're only in a 24 hour window.

TBC, there's nothing in it for me except for the ballyhoo to go along with the pleasure of building it.

Input from the community for the following would be appreciative:

• Header design.
  • Appropriate image of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. for the avatar.
  • An active bitcoin wallet address in the bio where donations will be sent.
  • The same for the tip jar thingy.
  • An appropriate website link.
  • An official site and user names.
  • The theme color, mainly it's the color of the links (red and brown and #000 is definitely out of the question for obvious reasons).

I can easily do all the above myself, but opted for any input nonetheless.

Meanwhile, I'm now going to break up the official(?) I Have a Dream speech to see if I can get it down to exactly 86 tweets so that it'll be symbolic of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s age if he were still with us today.

One final thought: Since his birthday is official January 15, 1929, a Thursday this year, it's now not outside the realm of possibility to obtain four days of traction, including the weekend that's notably known a slow news period, thus fodder/filler for the myriad news outlets. I'm sure most the crypto periodicals would include a blurb in their respective rags. This way, come Monday the 19th, it'll be all the rage.

In case I need to spell it out to some folks, such an endeavor would be introducing Bitcoin/crypto to a certain demographic for the very first time. If I'm not mistaken, I've seen threads pertaining to this vital issue.

By the 14th, I should have a mock-up Twitter account up to see how it looks and feels for final editing. Starting on the 15th midnight UTC, the official site will start to be built, hopefully completed within two hours.
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:48:09 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2015, 05:12:03 PM by Gleb Gamow

I've updated the second post on this thread. You'll be able to periodically witness the progress I making. An arduous task indeed, but up to the fun challenge nonetheless.

Again, feel free to weigh in any time, unless you feel I'm a nutjob.  Roll Eyes
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 06:02:26 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2015, 06:36:31 PM by Gleb Gamow

11%+ completed. (see second post) (10 tweets done, with a mathematical minimum of 55 to go - looking good so far)

You know what the beauty of this endeavor is/shall be? A many folks, of all walks of life, will be reading I Have a Dream for the very first time all because it'll be tweeted on Twitter, a social media most can relate to. At 54, this is my first time, and I have the pleasure of reading it dozens of times as I reformat it à la https://twitter.com/1A1zP1eP5QGefi2.

We’re not going to go backward. When people start doing things a better way, it kind of doesn't matter what the old way was.

~Marc Andreessen

Pretty fuckin' amazing quote by Marc when you think about it, eh?

Can't wait to tackle Satoshi Nakamoto's white paper next, reformatting it the same way.
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 07:32:59 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2015, 08:01:24 PM by Gleb Gamow

Good news! As the count stands now, I could've done it in 76 tweets, thus the symbolic 86 tweets to commemorate Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s age if he were still with us today is no longer an issue.

Take a peek at the second post of this thread to see what I mean. (time sensitive request)

EDIT: Looks like I can eat up 8 of those 10 reserves by making all the "Let freedom ring" clauses at the end of the speed as stand-alone tweets. For the most impact for the reader, that's now a given, still maintaining two reserve tweets (if my calculations are correct after already triple checking).
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 08:56:09 PM

Great news! After tweeting the stand-alone "Let freedom ring" clauses, I'm still at a 3-5 tweet reserve to complete the task, thus allowing a tad of leeway to break up the large paragraphs accordingly, allowing the most pleasant read possible upon completion.

Again, feel free to weigh in, for there's a list in the OP I could use a hand with (see b-points), albeit I'm able to do such on my own.
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 12:48:10 AM

ONLY 13 more tweets to go! Take a peek: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=918449.msg10091885#msg10091885
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 01:36:41 AM
Last edit: January 11, 2015, 01:53:27 AM by Gleb Gamow

Now, the Gods are fuckin' with me! I finally worked by way to the final paragraph that would easily fit in 4 tweets, and look what I'm met with:

We have also come to this hallowed spot to remind America of the fierce urgency of Now.

This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism.

Now is the time to make real the promises of democracy.

Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice.

Now is the time to lift our nation from the quicksands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood.

Now is the time to make justice a reality for all of God's children.

There is no way I can justify compressing those obvious 6 tweets into 4 tweets, for that would be, for a lack of a better word (perhaps the correct word), sacrilegious.

Now, I'm left with the task of finding, via combining, 4 tweets into 2 tweets to accommodate these important tweets. Luckily, I'm pretty sure where I can do such, but hopefully it doesn't effect the stand-alone "Let freedom ring" clauses toward the bottom. If in the latter, it might as well be all four from that arena, otherwise an odd amount would look/feel outta balance.

I'm definitely NOT disrupting either of the two "I have a dream today!" tweets.

Edit: Looks like the most logical choice is combining 14 & 15 and 16 & 17, only semi-negating not touching the "Let freedom ring" clause mentioned above.

I'll finish it up as I have it outlined for now, still having a couple/three days to reflect on the tweets to see if they stand, or warrant changes. Again, your input's welcomed.
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 08:57:00 AM

Finished!

Take a look at Post #2 of this thread to view the end result.

It literally (yes, Sheldon, literally) took near eight hours to complete due to constant recalculations most every step of the way to make sure I ended up with the symbolic 86 tweets.

Upon completion, I once again reread the entire speech, and I must admit it now has a different impact when read in its new format. No bullshit intended when I state that at about the 2/3 mark I felt a tearing-up wanting to begin, but subsided somewhat as I finished the read. I hope that the same impact is elicited onto readers several fold as it possibly hits closer to home regardless of one's ethnicity.

I'm not an expect on speeches, but I believe that this is a well-written speech. I'm also not an expert on how speeches should be delivered for the greatest impact, but upon hearing Dr. King delivery, I'm more impressed with the ending then beginning, yet I'm moved nonetheless, even more so now.

Hope you enjoyed reading as much I did formatting, but remember I'm not done yet, for the entire content still has to be tweeted on the 15th starting after midnight UTC. Up to that point, I still have to put the overall theme in place to be immediately implemented upon creating the official account for the very first time, that needing to be in place first directly after the midnight mark prior to start tweeting.

The goal, hopefully, is for the yet-to-be-named Twitter account to amass at least a million followers come Martin Luther King Jr. Day, unlike my first attempt with https://twitter.com/1A1zP1eP5QGefi2 which current has (let me look)... yep, still 0 followers.

I like to take the time now to thank all those who've provided their valuable input in this thread to date, especially the dude that declared that I'm a nutjob (and My Maria!). Priceless!
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2015, 07:09:35 PM

Next thing you know, you'll be calling Andreesen a pedo.  We all have seen how you work you nutjob.  How about giving your keyboard a well needed rest. 

sad but true. he is a sick guy  Roll Eyes

Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 07:17:40 PM

Next thing you know, you'll be calling Andreesen a pedo.  We all have seen how you work you nutjob.  How about giving your keyboard a well needed rest.  

sad but true. he is a sick guy  Roll Eyes

For being a sick guy, what the heck have you done of late to try to get millions of new eyeballs to witness Bitcoin for the very first time? Wouldn't my attempt better yours, and everybody else's position?
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 10:00:18 PM

The following [theme] mockup is what I have to date. Your input is kindly appreciated. Here's the link: https://twitter.com/coinprolite

The bio area may be a tad difficult to read, hence the following with annotations.

Martin Luther King<--- This will be unchanged (no room for Dr. or Jr.)
@CoinProLite <---- THIS WILL BE CHANGED Suggestions will be considered.
I have a dream! 1BitcoinAddressAlsoTBD (with link) Mention @changetip @TBA and an amount. ... //no other text in bio or more than 86 tweets will be included// <A bitcoin wallet address outside my control used for donations to a venerable cause NEEDS to be determined>

In the Hearts of Man <---Open for suggestions (this space is normally allocated for location, but we can put anything there within a certain amount of characters)

thekingcenter.org <---Probably the best link choice

In the bio: Perhaps, after I have a dream!, include Happy 86th birthday, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (I should have enough allocated characters to accomplish such)

To be clear, the Bio area will only consist of a short blurb, a bitcoin wallet address with an accompanied link for donations outside of my control, and hopefully a cryptocurrency-based tip jar that works well with Twitter, again with the tips going to the same or some other non-profit org outside my control.

The following screenshot is what the Twitter account would look like when a person is not signed into their Twitter account. It has a slightly different look when a user is signed in, but overall the same.

Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 10:03:04 PM

Again, I could easily do all the above myself, but any extra oomph from the community would be for the betterment of Bitcoin overall, hence duly seeking suggestions.

This endeavor is too vital to fuck up due to some unforeseen attribute that was or wasn't included or acted upon.
redhawk979

Activity: 271
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 12:21:44 AM

You must be real retarded to compare this guy to Martin Luther King Jr. 
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 01:53:02 AM

You must be real retarded to compare this guy to Martin Luther King Jr. 

Not only didn't I compare Marc Andreessen to Dr. King, I didn't imply it. All my references are to how I reformatted Marc's 18 tweets on Twitter, doing the same thing for the I Have a Dream speech. That's the ONLY connection between Marc and Martin, unless we want to include that both their first names start with an "M".
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 08:23:44 PM

86:  I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our nation.  137  

85:  Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation.  118  

84:  This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of Negro slaves who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice.  144  

83:  It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of their captivity.

But one hundred years later, the Negro still is not free.

82:  One hundred years later, the life of the Negro is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination.  135  

81:  One hundred years later, the Negro lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity.  123  

80:  One hundred years later, the Negro is still languished in the corners of American society and finds himself an exile in his own land.  133  

79:  And so we've come here today to dramatize a shameful condition.  63  

78:  In a sense we've come to our nation's capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the  133  

77:  Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was  141  

76:  a promise that all men, yes, black men as well as white men, would be guaranteed the "unalienable Rights" of "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of  142  

75:  Happiness." It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note, insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead  139  

74:  of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check, a check which has come back marked "insufficient funds."  140  

73:  But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt.  62  

72:  We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this nation.  105  

71:  And so, we've come to cash this check, a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of justice.  127  

70:  We have also come to this hallowed spot to remind America of the fierce urgency of Now.  87  

69:  This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism.  103  

68:  Now is the time to make real the promises of democracy.  55  

67:  Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice.  110  

66:  Now is the time to lift our nation from the quicksands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood.  108  

65:  Now is the time to make justice a reality for all of God's children.  68  

64:  It would be fatal for the nation to overlook the urgency of the moment. This sweltering summer of the Negro's legitimate discontent  131  

63:  will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality. Nineteen sixty-three is not an end, but a beginning.  129  

62:  And those who hope that the Negro needed to blow off steam and will now be content will have a rude awakening if the nation  123  

61:  returns to business as usual. And there will be neither rest nor tranquility in America until the Negro is granted his citizenship rights.  138  

60:  The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our nation until the bright day of justice emerges.  118  

59:  But there is something that I must say to my people, who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice: In the process of  142  

58:  gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup  143  

57:  of bitterness and hatred. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative  138  

56:  protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again, we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force.  142  

55:  The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the Negro community must not lead us to a distrust of all white people,  118  

54:  for many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny.  143  

53:  And they have come to realize that their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom.  86  

52:  We cannot walk alone.

And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall always march ahead.

We cannot turn back.

51:  There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, "When will you be satisfied?"  90  

50:  We can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality. We can never be satisfied  134  

49:  as long as our bodies, heavy with the fatigue of travel, cannot gain lodging in the motels of the highways and the hotels of the cities.  135  

48:  We cannot be satisfied as long as the negro's basic mobility is from a smaller ghetto to a larger one.  102  

47:  We can never be satisfied as long as our children are stripped of their self-hood and robbed of their dignity by signs stating:  127  

46:  "For Whites Only."  18  

45:  We cannot be satisfied as long as a Negro in Mississippi cannot vote and a Negro in New York believes he has nothing for which to vote.  135  

44:  No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until "justice rolls down like waters, and righteousness like a mighty stream."  138  

43:  I am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of great trials and tribulations. Some of you have come fresh from narrow jail cells. And  144  

42:  some of you have come from areas where your quest -- quest for freedom left you battered by the storms of persecution and staggered by the winds  144  

41:  of police brutality. You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive.  141  

40:  Go back to Mississippi, go back to Alabama, go back to South Carolina, go back to Georgia, go back to Louisiana,  112  

39:  go back to the slums and ghettos of our northern cities, knowing that somehow this situation can and will be changed.  117  

38:  Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends.  75  

37:  And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.  139  

36:  I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:  96  

35:  "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."  74  

34:  I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia,  56  

33:  the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.  124  

32:  I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi,  58  

31:  a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.  144  

30:  I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation  73  

29:  where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.  95  

28:  I have a dream today!  21  

27:  I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists,  71  

26:  with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of "interposition" and "nullification" -- one day right there in Alabama  130  

25:  little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.  124  

24:  I have a dream today!  21  

23:  I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain,  142  

22:  and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together."  128  

21:  This is our hope, and this is the faith that I go back to the South with.  73  

20:  With this faith, we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith, we will be able to  123  

19:  transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith, we will be able to work together,  138  

18:  to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.  135  

17:  And this will be the day -- this will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with new meaning:  114  

16:  My country 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing.  63  

15:  Land where my fathers died, land of the Pilgrim's pride,

From every mountainside, let freedom ring!

14:  And if America is to be a great nation, this must become true.

And so let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire.

13:  Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York.  55  

12:  Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania.  66  

11:  Let freedom ring from the snow-capped Rockies of Colorado.  58  

10:  Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of California.  58  

9:  But not only that:  18  

8:  Let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia.  48  

7:  Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee.  52  

6:  Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi.  61  

5:  From every mountainside, let freedom ring.  42  

4:  And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet,  111  

3:  from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men,  122  

2:  Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual:  122  

1:  Free at last! Free at last!

Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: