Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 02:46:43 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MMORPG on a blockchain?  (Read 1291 times)
Bizmark13 (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 03:40:43 AM

Has there been any attempts at using a blockchain to record the events that occur in an MMORPG? I know there is Huntercoin which proves that the concept works. Unfortunately, their dev died and their market cap is tiny. I can't find any other examples out there.

Building an MMORPG on a blockchain would eliminate the requirement for centralized servers. It would also allow for the use of internal currencies within the game itself. Perhaps the biggest downside is that you would need to run as a full node to play the game unless light clients were developed.
UnicornFarts

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 03:48:25 AM

Um.  I am fairly certain you need centralized servers to tell you where everyone is at at any given moment.  As well as host content, etc.

So you wouldn't be eliminating any servers ... just making it needlessly complex.  Roll Eyes

Do people realize that storing 40GB of data on 10,000 computers (decentralized) is a total of 400TB of data?  Not to even mention the bandwidth cost?  

Blockchain is horrifically inefficient so the value of decentralized has to be worth a hell of a lot for it to mean anything.

So ya ... you'd change the "Who owns what & what skills do they have" from being a $5,000 a year proposition to a $5,000,000 a year proposition by the time you add mining costs, bandwidth, hard drive storage redundancy, etc all in.

Brilliant
Bizmark13 (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 03:58:53 AM

Um.  I am fairly certain you need centralized servers to tell you where everyone is at at any given moment.  As well as host content, etc.

So you wouldn't be eliminating any servers ... just making it needlessly complex.  Roll Eyes

Do people realize that storing 40GB of data on 10,000 computers (decentralized) is a total of 400TB of data?  Not to even mention the bandwidth cost? 

Blockchain is horrifically inefficient so the value of decentralized has to be worth a hell of a lot for it to mean anything.

So ya ... you'd change the "Who owns what & what skills do they have" from being a $5,000 a year proposition to a $5,000,000 a year proposition by the time you add mining costs, bandwidth, hard drive storage redundancy, etc all in.

Brilliant

Well, there is Huntercoin which proves that the concept can work:

Quote from: Huntercoin.org
What is Huntercoin?
Huntercoin is a Crypto Currency similar to Bitcoin . – see www.bitcoin.org

The main difference is that ~80% of the coins are obtainable inside virtual universe which resides inside the blockchain.

Quote from: Huntercoin.org
What happens when no more coins are generated?
The same as bitcoin, miners will generate income via transacton fees.
All chat and events to getting your coins will be recorded in history for eternity, and can be played back in years to come
HunterCoin can be adapted for other uses with a hard fork (an update)  in the future (if it is ever needed) – some ideas include – decentralized microblog.

Link: http://huntercoin.org/information/faq-info/

I've never actually downloaded it but the blockchain size is probably huge though so you do have a valid point.
UnicornFarts

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 04:06:54 AM

I think it all boils down to how valuable is the information you are storing?

Blockchain protects from centralized control - and a global ledger is one of the few things that can justify the cost of network security and duplicated storage and bandwidth in the 1000's of devices.
lopalcar

Activity: 312
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 08:08:58 AM

still in development, but they are actively working: https://nxtforum.org/lith-the-nxt-mmo/
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 05:19:55 PM

Blockchain protects from centralized control - and a global ledger is one of the few things that can justify the cost of network security and duplicated storage and bandwidth in the 1000's of devices.

Please stop conflating decentralized ledgers with decentralized storage, etc.

This may come as a shock to you, but p2p tech has moved ahead rapidly since 2009.
UnicornFarts

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 08:35:36 PM

Please stop conflating decentralized ledgers with decentralized storage, etc.

This may come as a shock to you, but p2p tech has moved ahead rapidly since 2009.

I'm confusing nothing.

Decentralized storage isn't he blockchain.  Blockchain is all replicated everywhere (redundant across thousands of machines).

Decentralized storage is ... shared storage.  Crashplan is decntralized storage (kinda).  Bitcoin is blockchain.

Blockchain is prohibitively expensive.  Decentralized storage is impractical but moving in a practical direction.

I believe the OP said "MMORPG on the blockchain".

Does anyone actually know what the fuck a blockchain is?  Has anyone downloaded the bitcoin blockchain and watched their bandwidth?  
freenxt.org

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 10:01:30 PM

There is one being developed on the Nxt Blockchain:

https://nxtforum.org/lith-the-nxt-mmo/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: