Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:49:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Patrick Byrne interview seems to confirm he is no longer working w/ counterparty  (Read 1630 times)
expo2 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 02:52:25 PM

I asked about this on the counterparty sub and didn't get a reply. Does anyone know what is going on with overstock and counterparty? I don't want to lose all the profits I have made with this coin!

http://youtu.be/wZuCXcQgHa8?t=30m14s

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 05:34:01 PM

Sounds more like he'll still be working with the devs but that the Medici system won't be built on top of Counterparty itself more likely.
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 12:30:23 AM

http://cointelegraph.com/news/113273/overstock-installs-btm-at-corporate-headquarters-offers-to-pay-employees-in-btc

The top half of this story is much good news: 2-way BTM in the lobby at Overstock HQ, employees can now be paid out in BTC (and this is so f**king important for crypto, I can't swear enough)

Bottom section of the piece seems to confirm that Medici will not be built on CounterParty, but that's not exactly a surprise. Given how Overstock operate, they were never going to fully outsource any important elements of the Medici system, it makes much more sense for them to build their own in-house system.
How this will affect CounterParty is an interesting question, given the general shittiness of the markets right now.
I reckon that XCP is still a good, solid project and this shouldn't be taken as a knock-back. 

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 09:42:04 AM

http://cointelegraph.com/news/113273/overstock-installs-btm-at-corporate-headquarters-offers-to-pay-employees-in-btc

The top half of this story is much good news: 2-way BTM in the lobby at Overstock HQ, employees can now be paid out in BTC (and this is so f**king important for crypto, I can't swear enough)

Bottom section of the piece seems to confirm that Medici will not be built on CounterParty, but that's not exactly a surprise. Given how Overstock operate, they were never going to fully outsource any important elements of the Medici system, it makes much more sense for them to build their own in-house system.
How this will affect CounterParty is an interesting question, given the general shittiness of the markets right now.
I reckon that XCP is still a good, solid project and this shouldn't be taken as a knock-back. 

Yeah, definitely. People getting paid in crypto is pretty much a necessary condition to any sort of real economy starting.

Not surprised considering it's build on 10 min block Bitcoin. Pretty much unusable for anything like that.

And yeah, XCP is a great project and probably the best thing Bitcoin has going for it outside of the obvious network effects and such.
profitofthegods

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 10:59:24 AM

Yeah, definitely. People getting paid in crypto is pretty much a necessary condition to any sort of real economy starting.

Not surprised considering it's build on 10 min block Bitcoin. Pretty much unusable for anything like that.

And yeah, XCP is a great project and probably the best thing Bitcoin has going for it outside of the obvious network effects and such.

I don't see why Bitcoin's 10 minute blocks would be a problem, since Byrne wants Medici to be a replacement for centralized clearing and the fraudulent and harmful practices it encourages (like naked short selling). Centralized clearing only happens like once every 24 hours, so every 10 minutes is massively faster than that.
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 11:15:24 AM

I don't see why Bitcoin's 10 minute blocks would be a problem, since Byrne wants Medici to be a replacement for centralized clearing and the fraudulent and harmful practices it encourages (like naked short selling). Centralized clearing only happens like once every 24 hours, so every 10 minutes is massively faster than that.

Oh, I thought he wanted it to be more like a decentralised stock exchange or something.
profitofthegods

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 11:44:04 AM

Oh, I thought he wanted it to be more like a decentralised stock exchange or something.

Yes, that's what it is.
EvilDave

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 02:07:05 PM

Yeah...PB wants an honest financial system, and he does not like high speed/high frequency trading, among other things.
So a blockchain-based exchange that explicitly doesn't alllow HFT (because all of the order processing happens on the blockchain, with 1-10 minute blocktimes) is probably what we are going to see from Medici and Overstock.
My prediction is that whatever system we see from Medici, it will be slow asset/stock trading, not instant.

Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:25:22 PM

Yeah...PB wants an honest financial system, and he does not like high speed/high frequency trading, among other things.
So a blockchain-based exchange that explicitly doesn't alllow HFT (because all of the order processing happens on the blockchain, with 1-10 minute blocktimes) is probably what we are going to see from Medici and Overstock.
My prediction is that whatever system we see from Medici, it will be slow asset/stock trading, not instant.

So why not NXT?
FandangledGizmo
Legendary

Activity: 1138

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 05:04:09 PM

So why not NXT?

More likely BitShares nearly all the tools are in place to make it possible.

http://bytemaster.bitshares.org/article/2015/01/09/Overstock-to-Crypto-Stock/
EvilDave

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 05:56:34 PM

So why not NXT?
Good question.....NXT has everything in place right now, but 6-8 months ago (when we were pitching to Overstock) the AE was very new/just released.
It was probably also a lot easier to choose for a system based on BTC, which is at least something the Overstock board had a track record with.
Lastly, I always had the feeling that Overstock were more likely to launch a completely new system than to place their faith in a third party.

Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 06:19:34 PM

So why not NXT?

Because Bitcoin is most established. By the standards of ordinary CEOship, Mr. Byrne is really sticking his neck out. When you do something like that, and you're the top officer of a publicly-traded corporation, you hedge your risk by going with the biggest, oldest and most established platform.

But that's not bad news for Nxt: far from it. Whatever reforms Mr. Byrne wrangles out of Washington will also apply to Nxt AE. Even if he never shows any interest in Nxt, his regulatory-reform efforts make him the point man for the legality of the AE.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

sumantso
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 07:52:23 PM

If I was a XCP holder I would be grabbing a pitchfork and go looking for Mr. Byrne. Not only they are not going to benefit Counterparty, they stole the developers - that is a sucker punch.

More likely BitShares nearly all the tools are in place to make it possible.

http://bytemaster.bitshares.org/article/2015/01/09/Overstock-to-Crypto-Stock/

Would be a big coup, but I am not sold on Overstock - something seems off about them.

Djinou94
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 03:45:32 AM

Any info about a Medici IPO?
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2015, 04:14:33 AM

Any info about a Medici IPO?

I'm sue there will be. Wink

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 07:45:51 AM

thte Next NXT team has assembled an interesting Blockchain that is much quicker than bitcoin for confirming transactions but lacks bitcoin's security by several orders of magnitude.

That sounds like a bit of an overstatement I think if we're talking about cost to mount a successful attack. It's more likely one order of magnitude or two at the very worst.
Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 08:27:27 AM

thte Next NXT team has assembled an interesting Blockchain that is much quicker than bitcoin for confirming transactions but lacks bitcoin's security by several orders of magnitude.

That sounds like a bit of an overstatement I think if we're talking about cost to mount a successful attack. It's more likely one order of magnitude or two at the very worst.

Without getting into a POS vs POW debate where a small army of NXT supporters show up to proclaim NXT has solved things whilst detractors show up to hotlink Poelstra pdf's.. I agree the "orders of magnitude" claim didn't come with any sort of citation and should really be removed, Not sure where those numbers were plucked from. Maybe saying that compared to bitcoin, nxt hasn't been equivalently battle-tested (at least in terms of the amount of eyes over it making peer-review during the last number of years, and relative $ invested in the infrastructure of each) would be a fairer and less subjective statement to make there.

Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 08:15:51 PM

Without getting into a POS vs POW debate where a small army of NXT supporters show up to proclaim NXT has solved things whilst detractors show up to hotlink Poelstra pdf's.. I agree the "orders of magnitude" claim didn't come with any sort of citation and should really be removed, Not sure where those numbers were plucked from. Maybe saying that compared to bitcoin, nxt hasn't been equivalently battle-tested (at least in terms of the amount of eyes over it making peer-review during the last number of years, and relative $ invested in the infrastructure of each) would be a fairer and less subjective statement to make there.

Yeah, I agree.
EvilDave

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 09:12:12 PM

the Next NXT team has assembled an interesting Blockchain that is much quicker than bitcoin for confirming transactions but lacks bitcoin's security by several orders of magnitude.

I'm happy with ENs estimate.....this doesn't mean that the NXT tech is inherently insecure, but that Bitcoin has survived 5 times longer and has had that much more development time, and (due to the sheer size of the network) is exposed to more bad guys hunting vulnerabilities.
This is one of the main reasons why Bitcoin is gonna be around for a while yet, it's pretty solid.

And, yeah, we don't need a debate. NXT has been solid, stable and secure for a year so far.
Who knows what vulnerabilities may be discovered over the next year?

Moving back to PB/Overstock: I'm fairly sure that whatever comes out of Medici, it won't be Counterparty as we know it, but will be based on/inspired by XCP.

hozer

Activity: 271
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 06:19:13 AM

So why not NXT?
Good question.....NXT has everything in place right now, but 6-8 months ago (when we were pitching to Overstock) the AE was very new/just released.
It was probably also a lot easier to choose for a system based on BTC, which is at least something the Overstock board had a track record with.
Lastly, I always had the feeling that Overstock were more likely to launch a completely new system than to place their faith in a third party.

Because I suspect Patrick Byrne probably knows NXT can't really resolve this:
https://bitbucket.org/JeanLucPicard/nxt/issue/117/front-running-on-the-nxt-ae-by-trading

the only antidote to HFT is a good random number generator and distributed proof-of-work, and NXT doesn't have that.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: