Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:35:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S5 - Notlist3d's Review  (Read 1582 times)
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:50:43 PM
Last edit: January 09, 2015, 09:00:07 PM by notlist3d

Bitmain Antminer S5 - Review

0) General information + Hardware Needed
1) Unpacking
2) The Miner
3) Install
4) Conclusion

0) General Information + Hardware Needed
The S5 is going to get you hashing power with a impressively low electric useage.  It is a newly designed miner with using the BM1384 chip.   It will have a noticeable change in look from it's S3 counterpart.   It's weight is noticeably lighter with this new case design.  At it's default frequency it achieved the advertised speed of 1155 GH/s ±5% without any adjustment.

Additional hardware needed

• Standard power supply with 4 PCI-E 6 Pin adapters (I personally used a RM1000 as I had it laying around. You could easily use much smaller PSU and use 2 PCI-E cables.)
  • Computer to set initial pool and configuration settings
  • Network cables - 1 network cable to go to your network

1) Unpacking
The shipping was very quick right around 2 day's in shipment to my doorstep.  Upon opening you will notice it is very well pack in the box with the air filled plastic tubes.   It does a very good job protecting the miner during shipping.  Bitmain did a amazing job in this area.

2) The Miner
Below are images to showcase the miner.

3) Install
It was a easy and quick install.  You will need to install the 4 PCI-e cables to a proper power supply for your settings(Could use 2, but i prefer 4).  I am using a RM1000 PSU.  This is overkill you can use a smaller psu with it only using approx 580 watts. Next use that network cable to connect your miner to your network. It will connect automatically using DHCP.  It is actually very easy to find your IP using the findyourminer tool.  After that log in and enter your pool information and your done!

Below is the findyourminer tool which makes it extremly easy to find your IP even with DHCP being used.

4) Conclusion
The S5 comes in as a great new miner to add to your collection.  It preformed as advertised without having to do any tweaking.  Great miner for it's low electricity usage with still packing a punch in area of hashing speed. For me having my mining area sound is not a problem as it is specifically for mining.  Also with winter I am using cool air from outside to help cool all my miners including the S5.

In my opinion they took the well tested S3 design and added to it.  The addition of tool's' to see the DHCP was nice software to use.   I will in future test some different frequency's and see effect as well as trying the Miner Link addition.

I want to thank Bitmain for a great product and chance to review it.  I am happy to try to answer questions if you have some.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:50:55 PM
Last edit: January 11, 2015, 06:21:16 AM by notlist3d

Reserved for testing frequency's and Miner Link(Not released yet will test after release).
Swimmer63
Legendary

Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 10:55:36 PM

More installation guide than review.  After only a few weeks this is the most "reviewed" miner since KNC's first batch.
So unless you are just posting to the check the box, so to speak, give us something new.  Mods?, Noise reduction, etc.
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 11:16:54 PM

the packing is different now - the first bunch of S5  units shipped in foam/bubble wrap just like the S3. This packaging is likely lighter and more environmental

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:42:53 AM

More installation guide than review.  After only a few weeks this is the most "reviewed" miner since KNC's first batch.
So unless you are just posting to the check the box, so to speak, give us something new.  Mods?, Noise reduction, etc.

It's only my  first day with the miner:).  As far as noise, with having a mining area I do not worry about noise.  it is not an issue for me personally. On fan mod so far I do not need one.  Again with running it in a separate mining area  I am using the winter air and more box fan types to regulate my temperature. So the 2nd fan mod is a moot point for me as well.  Is there anything else you would like to know or see besides fan mods?

I am running it easy for the first day. I want to see it run at default speed before changing frequency on much of an overclock.   As far as what I have planned to be coming are: It will be tried on multiple frequencies and what hash power and watts used for the different frequencies.  Also to come is to try and show the Miner Link.

Swimmer63
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 02:56:13 PM

It's only my  first day with the miner:).  As far as noise, with having a mining area I do not worry about noise.  it is not an issue for me personally. On fan mod so far I do not need one.  Again with running it in a separate mining area  I am using the winter air and more box fan types to regulate my temperature. So the 2nd fan mod is a moot point for me as well.  Is there anything else you would like to know or see besides fan mods?

I am running it easy for the first day. I want to see it run at default speed before changing frequency on much of an overclock.   As far as what I have planned to be coming are: It will be tried on multiple frequencies and what hash power and watts used for the different frequencies.  Also to come is to try and show the Miner Link.

Thanks!  Sounds like a good plan.
Swimmer63
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 02:58:05 PM

the packing is different now - the first bunch of S5  units shipped in foam/bubble wrap just like the S3. This packaging is likely lighter and more environmental
I ordered in batch 3 and had this same packing.  Pretty ingenious if you ask me.  Only risk is if something sharp penetrates the box.  I had that happen to one of the boxes and it deflated a bunch of the tubes.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 06:28:29 AM

The Miner Link is not released yet it turns out, I will test it after release.

Initial day and seven hours ran very smooth at default settings achieving average speed of: 1,153.18 GH/s

Testing at different frequencies should happen in the days to come.
notlist3d (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 11:04:42 AM

Recently had some business and was gone for a week.  Great stability ran over a week on default settings.  No "baby sitting" needed.

Also it has finally got colder again... so should be able to do electricity used at higher freq and speed achieved.   
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: