Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 11:46:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Overstock Offers It's Staff The Option To Be Paid In Bitcoin  (Read 1885 times)
BTCreward

Activity: 574
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 07:09:34 PM

i hope we get follow up info on how many take them up on the offer...

could be a smart ploy to get staff to spend more wages in store lol like bar tenders who get one free drink after work ;p
My guess? None. The price is too volatile right now for this.

This is when to buy when the crowd is scared.
I wouldn't say that is true when you are dealing with people's paychecks. If you are earning a living then you want the money you receive from your work to have a stable value. It might be a good idea to have a certain portion of your paycheck be bitcoin but not the entire amount

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 07:32:16 PM

could be a smart ploy to get staff to spend more wages in store lol like bar tenders who get one free drink after work ;p

I wouldn't say that is true when you are dealing with people's paychecks. If you are earning a living then you want the money you receive from your work to have a stable value. It might be a good idea to have a certain portion of your paycheck be bitcoin but not the entire amount

Even taking a small amount of their paycheck in btc would be great. They get the option to try out Bitcoin without opening an account anywhere and learn first hand how easy it is to use. I'm convinced that anyone using btc for an online payment, even once, will see how easy it is and be inclined to keep using it. The downside I've always seen is getting the btc in the first place. These people don't have that problem.

TPN

Activity: 193

How did it get so late, so soon?

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 08:30:41 PM

Finally!

I always wanted to post this gif.

It has yet to start
BTCreward

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 08:52:35 PM

Even taking a small amount of their paycheck in btc would be great. They get the option to try out Bitcoin without opening an account anywhere and learn first hand how easy it is to use. I'm convinced that anyone using btc for an online payment, even once, will see how easy it is and be inclined to keep using it. The downside I've always seen is getting the btc in the first place. These people don't have that problem.
I guess that is fair. However I really don't think it is that difficult to open an account at someplace like coinbase and buy bitcoin in regular amounts based on how much free cash you have every week (or however often you get paid)

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 09:07:23 AM

I am getting all of my paycheck in bitcoins. It is not all that different from dollar cost averaging.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 12:41:51 PM

I guess that is fair. However I really don't think it is that difficult to open an account at someplace like coinbase and buy bitcoin in regular amounts based on how much free cash you have every week (or however often you get paid)
No, it's not that difficult but it takes some effort. Having it given to you every two weeks by your employer takes zero effort.

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 02:04:40 PM

Overstock is a great example of how companies can get the most out of Bitcoin.

Accepting is as form of payment is great, but giving employees the option to get paid in Bitcoin is even better.

At this point it isn't a wise option to get paid in Bitcoin for 100% but a small fraction can't hurt I guess.
panju1
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 01:15:06 AM

Accepting is as form of payment is great, but giving employees the option to get paid in Bitcoin is even better.

At this point it isn't a wise option to get paid in Bitcoin for 100% but a small fraction can't hurt I guess.

I agree. Even if some of the employees get paid in Bitcoin, it will help Overstock meet some of its expenses in Bitcoin, instead of dumping it for fiat. This expands the Bitcoin economy.
bf4btc

Activity: 568
Merit: 500

Smoke weed everyday!

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 12:20:19 AM

I agree. Even if some of the employees get paid in Bitcoin, it will help Overstock meet some of its expenses in Bitcoin, instead of dumping it for fiat. This expands the Bitcoin economy.
I think the chances of the bitcoin being eventually sold for fiat are still high when their employees are paid in bitcoin. The reason they would likely want to get paid in bitcoin is because they want to spend their bitcoin at various merchants that accept bitcoin, and when this happens it will likely be converted.

Overstock doesn't convert all their bitcoin into fiat regardless, they already save 10% of it

████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████▄▄▄█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▀██████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████▀▀▀▀████████

TruthBear

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 12:31:02 AM

Those poor people who decided to accept BTC...
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 01:21:13 AM

Those poor people who decided to accept BTC...

That is kind of funny. This week those people took a pay cut.

Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 07:01:17 AM

I wonder how much delay Overstock imposes on their employees between when Overstock binds the price of BTC and the employee gets delivery.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2015, 09:40:50 AM

I wonder how much delay Overstock imposes on their employees between when Overstock binds the price of BTC and the employee gets delivery.

I am sure it is just paid out the same day the checks are sent out.

Instead of a check for $1000, the price is $200/BTC so employee gets 5 bitcoins.

Might even get to them faster than going through their bank.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
ensano

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 04:57:00 PM

The problem is there are already far better payment options out there for consumers.  Making a payment in bitcoin is risky.  The first payment I made was to tigerdirect.ca and then the order got lost in the system.  I still haven't gotten my item, credit, or refund and I have absolutely zero chance or recourse.  If I would have paid with any of my credit cards (which literally anyone can get) or paypal I would have already settled my chargeback/dispute.  Consumers don't pay fees with CC or PP so why should I pay with anything else?
98problems

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2015, 06:42:29 PM

I am sure it is just paid out the same day the checks are sent out.

Instead of a check for $1000, the price is $200/BTC so employee gets 5 bitcoins.

Might even get to them faster than going through their bank.
Of course it would get to them faster. Although rare, banks are able to place a deposit hold on direct deposits of employees' paychecks. Even if there is no hold then it would generally take one business day for the direct deposit to show up on employee's bank accounts.

It takes an average of 10 minutes to confirm a bitcoin transaction

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: