Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:17:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sending messages with transactions  (Read 970 times)
Gareth Nelson (OP)

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 04:05:01 AM

There's a simple way to do this without taking up space in the blockchain.
Simply send the transaction ID and your message to an external server, encrypt if desired.

This could be integrated with the client rather easily, but i'm wondering how many would actually use it - thoughts?
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FooDSt4mP

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 04:33:24 AM

There's a simple way to do this without taking up space in the blockchain.
Simply send the transaction ID and your message to an external server, encrypt if desired.

This could be integrated with the client rather easily, but i'm wondering how many would actually use it - thoughts?

I doubt you'd get support from the official client unless the "external server" was actually a distributed network.  Also, it should be encrypted with the public key the coins were sent to (the address).  The recipient has the matching private key to decrypt it.

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
Gareth Nelson (OP)

Activity: 721
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 04:38:50 AM

I obviously wouldn't expect the official client to rely on an external server (although oddly enough it still relies on IRC) - but this does seem a sensible idea.
FooDSt4mP

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 04:47:20 AM

I obviously wouldn't expect the official client to rely on an external server (although oddly enough it still relies on IRC) - but this does seem a sensible idea.

It doesn't rely on IRC... IRC just helps it bootstrap faster when it is available.  There is a list of fallback nodes (in addition to those built into the client) and -addnode.

Regarding messages: you should probably also require the message be signed by at least one private key matching one of the public keys the transaction is sent from.  Otherwise, messages could be forged.

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: