Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:19:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone explain something about POS to me please  (Read 741 times)
buddhamangler (OP)

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 02:14:15 AM

Bitcoin has this "governor", if you will, for the speed at which blocks come out by using difficulty.  In POS land, how does this work?  How do they prevent staking over and over with lightning speed?
insidertradingeverywhere

Activity: 468
Merit: 100

The world’s first Play, Learn and Earn

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 02:57:35 AM

coinage and difficulty aswell probably

Crestington
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1024

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 05:58:50 AM

It's magic  Cool I love Proof of Stake

var53

Activity: 345
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 11:10:42 AM

You can only stake coins over a certain age, and the age gets reset after you stake. The difficulty can sometimes go too high and result in finding the next block taking far too long. I remember it took hours to find a block on one POS coin where the difficulty had got too high. I think a whale with a massive amount of coins had staked them all at once and pushed the difficulty up.
MadAlpha

Activity: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:05:08 PM

Now sure if I am correct, but here's how I understand it, overly simplified.

POW

You try to find a specific SHA hash by giving "random" input to a function. The faster you can run these calculations, the more possibilities you can test, and the bigger the chance of finding an input that is "correct", resulting in a mined block.

POS

Some hash is calculated from your account and the previous block. This never changes until a new block appears. For testing if a block can be forged, another input is the current unix timestamp, in seconds. Since the resolution of the timestamp is one second, the input parameters only change once per second. There is no gain by asking "can I forge a block?" faster than once per second, as the result is the same.

It's a different game. It's no longer a matter of trying lots of different possibilities to guess a correct answer. It's a matter of having a pre-computed number unique to your account, and then just waiting until your unique number, combined with the unix timestamp, matches the required difficulty.

Will do small programming tasks cheaply in exchange for BTC. Check out my thread or PM me!
buddhamangler (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 10:08:23 PM

Thanks for that summary.  So does this encourage people splitting their coins into a myriad of addresses for a higher likelyhood of an address being able to forge, or is this prevented somehow where forging is a percentage of the address balance that "wins" the block?  I guess I'm not understanding how difficulty is calculated in PoS.
Crestington
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1024

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 10:15:39 PM

Thanks for that summary.  So does this encourage people splitting their coins into a myriad of addresses for a higher likelyhood of an address being able to forge, or is this prevented somehow where forging is a percentage of the address balance that "wins" the block?  I guess I'm not understanding how difficulty is calculated in PoS.

It depends on the specifications in the Proof of Stake. Most often it is better to have your Coins merged into larger Blocks so that they Stake sooner but some Coins also have limits on the amount you can receive as a reward in order to encourage holding smaller Blocks. Best to check though the Coins main.cpp file in it's Github and look for GetProofOfStakeReward
Agestorzrxx

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 02:39:26 AM

Coin age is out-of-date.
stellar1

Activity: 70

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 05:58:55 AM

Now sure if I am correct, but here's how I understand it, overly simplified.

POW

You try to find a specific SHA hash by giving "random" input to a function. The faster you can run these calculations, the more possibilities you can test, and the bigger the chance of finding an input that is "correct", resulting in a mined block.

POS

Some hash is calculated from your account and the previous block. This never changes until a new block appears. For testing if a block can be forged, another input is the current unix timestamp, in seconds. Since the resolution of the timestamp is one second, the input parameters only change once per second. There is no gain by asking "can I forge a block?" faster than once per second, as the result is the same.

It's a different game. It's no longer a matter of trying lots of different possibilities to guess a correct answer. It's a matter of having a pre-computed number unique to your account, and then just waiting until your unique number, combined with the unix timestamp, matches the required difficulty.

Which one serves the user/buyer/holder 's interest better ?

Thanks
MadAlpha

Activity: 100

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 07:36:51 AM

Which one serves the user/buyer/holder 's interest better ?

Thanks

That's a good question, one that you will have to decide for yourself. Smiley

Will do small programming tasks cheaply in exchange for BTC. Check out my thread or PM me!
Daedelus

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 02:24:13 PM

@OP

The POS idea that "The chain is secured by stake".

But there are at least 3 current implementations on how this is achieved, each with a different answer to your question. Coinage only relates to Peercoin and its clones. Nxt has a different system. And there are others out there.

Do you have a particular interest POS coin in mind?

Some Bitcoiners favourite hobby is inventing a bad POS system in their heads (one that usually doesn't exist), and attacking it and claiming POS can't work. They don't take the time for little things like understanding the details  Cheesy
buddhamangler (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 11:49:28 PM
Last edit: January 12, 2015, 12:18:30 AM by buddhamangler

I'm merely curious.  I was reading up on some PoW vs PoS information and I realized I didn't fully understand how PoS worked.
Daedelus

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 02:41:11 PM

Nxt's POS algo is hard to explain in short bursts

One of Nxt's core devs, Kushti (Alexander Chepurnoy) has written a series of 4 short articles aimed at none programmers. To understand how Nxt works.

It starts basic and builds up, Nxt has multiple things happening at once.

Links:

Part 1: http://chepurnoy.org/blog/2014/10/inside-a-proof-of-stake-cryptocurrency-part-1
Part 2: http://chepurnoy.org/blog/2014/10/inside-a-proof-of-stake-cryptocurrency-part-2
Part 3: http://chepurnoy.org/blog/2014/11/inside-a-proof-of-stake-cryptocurrency-part-3
Part 4: http://chepurnoy.org/blog/2014/12/inside-a-proof-of-stake-cryptocurrency-part-4
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: