Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 06:16:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 180 Coins Stolen From my wallet 1GpUcrJ1Zo6ZJWgw7HQT7nADijY5a3dcCh  (Read 5080 times)
mzee (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 07:54:41 AM

Someone Stolen 180 Coins From My Wallet 1GpUcrJ1Zo6ZJWgw7HQT7nADijY5a3dcCh By Hacking My Email. I Saved All My Wallet Details In My Email Not In PC. Thief Changed My Email Password And Password of All Accounts Which Was Saved In This Email. Even I Can't Access My Localbitcoins Account. My User Name On Localbitcoins Was mzee. I Mailed Them And They Just Asked For My Email And Username But No Other Reply Yet. Can Anyone Help Me?
WeMineCoins

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 08:09:48 AM

Someone Stolen 180 Coins From My Wallet 1GpUcrJ1Zo6ZJWgw7HQT7nADijY5a3dcCh By Hacking My Email. I Saved All My Wallet Details In My Email Not In PC. Thief Changed My Email Password And Password of All Accounts Which Was Saved In This Email. Even I Can't Access My Localbitcoins Account. My User Name On Localbitcoins Was mzee. I Mailed Them And They Just Asked For My Email And Username But No Other Reply Yet. Can Anyone Help Me?

How was your passwords saved in your email? you mean like google password manager for chrome and sync passwords or something?

The Technical Founder of WeMineCoins
vm_mpn

Activity: 605
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 08:10:57 AM

Just out of curiosity, was it on-line wallet credentials they have stolen, or you kept your private key to your PC wallet under your email account? I sense we are talking on-line wallet theft but I just want to make sure.

Braedo

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

BtcMarkets - Australian Bitcoin Trading Platform

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 08:15:58 AM

I really cannot comprehend why all of those coins were kept in a hot wallet, Those coins are gone for good nobody can help you.

▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼  No.1 Bitcoin Binary Options  ▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼
██████████████████████████████  sec◔nds trade  ██████████████████████████████
↑↓ Instant Bets ↑↓ Flexible 1~720 minutes Expiry time ↑↓ Highest Reward 190% ↑↓ 16 Assets [btc, forex, gold, double dice] ↑↓
H.W.Z

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 08:16:44 AM

feel sorry to hear that! It seems you have around 190 BTC on your wallet.  You are not bitcoin newbie, but u still don't know how to keep the safety of your bitcoin holding! Give us a warning!

newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 08:45:42 AM

What I can see from blockchain, coins are now being mixed on some mixer, most probably bitmixer.io. So, chances of getting back is very low.

elephantas1

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 09:04:22 AM

What I can see from blockchain, coins are now being mixed on some mixer, most probably bitmixer.io. So, chances of getting back is very low.
if someone sends it from your address the chance to get it back is 0 theres even no need to mix it
newIndia
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 09:25:40 AM

if someone sends it from your address the chance to get it back is 0 theres even no need to mix it

Mixing happens to hide identity and with proper mixing coins can not be traced through taint analysis. It is not about getting back the coins by bitcoin protocol, but by administrative protocol.

Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 09:36:13 AM

Sorry to hear that. I don't think there's anything you can do right now. A hard lesson learned but this will sure have you be more careful with your coin in the future.

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 09:39:55 AM

Dam another online wallet hack, keep your coins offline with control of your keys.  Only use 3rd party for point of exchange or if you trade to make money.
newIndia
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 09:42:24 AM

Dam another online wallet hack, keep your coins offline with control of your keys.  Only use 3rd party for point of exchange or if you trade to make money.

It seems that his wallet was offline, but wallet details were online. So, it was probably not an online wallet. It was insecure pvt key/pass-a-phrase.

Aswan
Legendary

Activity: 1734
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 09:47:14 AM

Hello and sorry for your loss =/

First of all, there seems to be a common misunderstanding about what a wallet is. A wallet is a collection of addresses. While a wallet can consist of only one address, that address is not a wallet in itself.

Secondly, I guess you mean you stored your account details somewhere in your account you have with an email provider, not in an email itself, right? Because if you saved it in an email (like sending an email to yourself with all the wallet details (including the private key) and unencrypted, then it's easy for someone to read the private key since emails are just being send unencrypted if not encrypted by the user.

which email provider are you using? There seem to be a lot of bitcoin related hacking incidents with GMX email addresses. Also, did you leave your private key to someone (like using an online wallet, generating a paperwallet on a website etc.)?
But even then, as you said, your email account has been taken by that someone... so we should focus on how that was possible. Did you reuse your email password somewhere else? Did you have a strong password? Are your devices you access it with save?

I really feel sorry for you especially since it was such a huge sum. Unfortunately, most people have to suffer a bitcoin loss before they properly secure their coins.
If you still have some coins or if you play to get some more, you should definitely check out some offline storage solution.
mzee (OP)

Activity: 3

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 09:51:51 AM

i had wallet on blockchain and all my wallet details was saved in my gmail folder like identifier password and wallet address etc. so to login to my wallet i always used to login to my email first. and also i signup with same email for localbitcoins.
rax

Activity: 86
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 11:27:49 AM
Last edit: January 10, 2015, 11:38:32 AM by rax

I'm sorry for your loss. And I apologise in advance because I know that this is harsh to say, but it really is no wonder that your private keys were compromised.

I'm starting to realize that Bitcoin's single weakest point is that the end users are required to use sound infosec practices to manage their coins, or else they are bound to be robbed blind sooner rather than later. And I'd wager that 99.99% of the general population does not have the know-how to do this properly Undecided
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 11:31:27 AM

By Hacking My Email.

FAIL.

Bitcoin don't trust email ... why do you want ... ?
Agestorzrxx

Activity: 462

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 11:32:32 AM

I can't believe you use your email back up your wallet.
Too stupid.
bitbaby

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 11:41:08 AM

Sorry for your loss OP, Email was never a safe option to keep your Wallet details in the first place. Btw which email provider do you use? Was it GMX by any chance, there have been reports of GMX email hacks.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 11:57:03 AM

sorry for that. you can use a hardware-wallet in the future:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=899253.0

Comic Book Coin

Activity: 28

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 12:13:21 PM

Oh, that really sucks. I hate these kinds of stories.
BitcoiNaked

Activity: 456

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 12:59:05 PM

almost 7 fking years later, people still get their money stolen, this bitcoin has one huge flaw, nobody understands how to secure this shit, satoshi is a failure
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: