Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:19:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does wallet change with change in computer location?  (Read 1755 times)
newMeat1 (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 04:18:41 AM

I'll be moving to another state soon. When I turn on my computer there, will my bitcoin wallet be all messed up? For example, maybe my IP address changes, and that changes my bitcoin address?

The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FooDSt4mP

Activity: 182

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 04:30:39 AM

I'll be moving to another state soon. When I turn on my computer there, will my bitcoin wallet be all messed up? For example, maybe my IP address changes, and that changes my bitcoin address?

Nope, your wallet will work from any internet connected computer that can run the bitcoin client.  Everything you need to access and use your coins is stored in a file called wallet.dat.

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
newMeat1 (OP)

Activity: 210

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 04:33:31 AM

Good to know. It's impressive how much thought went into this currency. Makes the traditional economy look nuts. Haha

the_viper

Activity: 315
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 08:49:30 PM

I installed bitcoin and got .02 coins from the faucet site but I cant find this wallet.dat file
I installed it on windows 7 in c\bitcoin (default directory) anyone know why this might be
the_viper

Activity: 315
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 08:54:48 PM

It's ok I just found it there

For those who are interested on windows 7 it's C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin
darkwon

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 09:25:25 PM

I'm relatively new to Bitcoin as well, and was rather surprised when i found out all my money is stored in an unencrypted, unprotected file hidden deep in the windows file structure (for an average user).

Now that more people are joining this and buying millions in $ on exchanges, maybe it should be made more clear for an average user where their money physically is and how to transport it to a new computer. Also, the file should be encrypted and password-protected, this is such an obvious security design flaw for a currency that's crypto/hacker based -.-
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 09:31:06 PM

I'm relatively new to Bitcoin as well, and was rather surprised when i found out all my money is stored in an unencrypted, unprotected file hidden deep in the windows file structure (for an average user).

Now that more people are joining this and buying millions in $ on exchanges, maybe it should be made more clear for an average user where their money physically is and how to transport it to a new computer. Also, the file should be encrypted and password-protected, this is such an obvious security design flaw for a currency that's crypto/hacker based -.-

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet

The information is perfectly available, it's up to the user to find that data.
darkwon

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 09:35:02 PM

Dude, i was talking about a normal average user here. And you point me to a multi-page long wiki article, really?

With beautiful instructions such as this:

----------------------------------------------------------

Go to Start -> Run (or press WinKey+R) and run this:

explorer %APPDATA%\BitCoin

BitCoin's data folder will open. For most users, this is the following locations:

C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application data\BitCoin (XP)

C:\Users\YourUserName\Appdata\Roaming\BitCoin (Vista and 7)

"AppData" and "Application data" are hidden by default.

----------------------------------------------------------

This stuff should be in the client. "Copy Wallet to Location" etc.. I mean come on...

You guys need to work on usability a lot if you want this to succeed.
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 09:36:29 PM

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a backup function in the client, but it's a skill you need to have to work safely with bitcoins. There are skills you need to safely work with pretty much anything when it is in its infancy.

Give it time.
darkwon

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 09:42:52 PM

Give it time.

Time is running out fast, though. This little project of yours gained a lot of popularity in the last weeks, and big economic trouble is ahead. Perfect times for a new gold-standard if it's easy to use. Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: