Question: After they haven't moved for
30 years
77 years
250 years
>500 years
never

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: POLL: When should bitcoins be considered lost forever  (Read 1080 times)
bitcoin_purist (OP)

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

Fearless, except for those who are fearless

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 02:17:11 PM
Last edit: January 11, 2015, 12:50:32 AM by bitcoin_purist

You can only know for sure that someone is in possession of a private key when coins are spent, but large amounts of unspent coins could create uncertainty to trust the system because they have influence on the trade markets when they are spent.

So I was wondering, when do people agree to be 'sure' that coins are lost forever and not stored in a savings account?
My first guess would be the average life expectancy, roughly 77 years.

edit: added option 'never'
mlferro

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 02:39:39 PM

lacked the "never" option. I do not think Bitcoin a day will become lost forever

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4669

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 02:41:44 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2015, 03:04:54 PM by DannyHamilton

I would have answered your poll, but as mlferro pointed out, you are missing an option for "never".
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3413

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 02:46:42 PM

According to recent "news", Germans still hoard 12.9 Billion Deutsche Mark (DM), or roughly 6.6 Billion EUR. That's about 7.8 Billion USD some 13 years after the switch to the Euro.
When should these be considered "lost forever"?
The German Bundesbank (something like the FED) says "never" and swears to honor the obligation to exchange any DM into EUR for all eternity Wink

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 02:57:03 PM

An early adopter who was probably 15 years old would have been 92 after adding 77. Given the average life expectancy of 80 and another 12 years assuming he/she did pass the private key to another person and still the coins remain idle, most likely the private key was never there in the first place.

Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 03:02:18 PM

According to recent "news", Germans still hoard 12.9 Billion Deutsche Mark (DM), or roughly 6.6 Billion EUR. That's about 7.8 Billion USD some 13 years after the switch to the Euro.
The German Bundesbank (something like the FED) says "never" and swears to honor the obligation to exchange any DM into EUR for all eternity Wink

That is somewhat strange as I assume that they can only be exchanged at all through the Bundesbank and the official rate of exchange is locked for eternity also.

I wonder if it is actually Germans holding them though? I could imagine that there's wads of 50,000 hidden in various world wide safety deposits, along with pounds, dollars, francs, as a hedge or SHF fund.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3413

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 03:05:55 PM

That is somewhat strange as I assume that they can only be exchanged at all through the Bundesbank and the official rate of exchange is locked for eternity also.

I wonder if it is actually Germans holding them though? I could imagine that there's wads of 50,000 hidden in various world wide safety deposits, along with pounds, dollars, francs, as a hedge or SHF fund.
Exchange rate is locked at 1.95583, right.
Many the DM are probably lost, the lion's share probably outside of Germany.
But there's also almost no (older) German who does not still keep a Pfennig or Mark coin somewhere Wink

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
kenny83

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 05:35:17 PM

i vote for another option - never , because bitcoin is becoming best concurrency now and future , so i don't think it will lose forever Smiley
ticoti

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 05:36:27 PM

I think that never.

The only way is to have lost the private key.

If someone claim to have lost a private key you may consider them lost
Garriah

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 05:39:53 PM

Yes - never.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 05:41:27 PM

1 BTC = 999 999 999 units.

so 27 Millions of BTC = 27 000 000 000 000 000 units.
Rannasha

Activity: 728

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 06:48:57 PM

I think we can safely consider bitcoins as lost when they're sent to an address such as 1BitcoinEater. Unless the cryptographic protocols underlying address generation are broken, it can be reasonably assumed that noone will ever generate the private key to such a burn-address.

edit:
1 BTC = 999 999 999 units.

so 27 Millions of BTC = 27 000 000 000 000 000 units.
This is not only irrelevant to the discussion, it is also wrong.
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 08:43:10 PM

You can only know for sure that someone is in possession of a private key when coins are spent, but large amounts of unspent coins could create uncertainty to trust the system because they have influence on the trade markets when they are spent.

So I was wondering, when do people agree to be 'sure' that coins are lost forever and not stored in a savings account?
My first guess would be the average life expectancy, roughly 77 years.

Average is 77 years for a life but we are only adults or in control of ourselves for just over half that period.  If bitcoin hasnt moved out of address for 40 - 50 years its not looking good that anyone can move it.  Obviously there will be exceptions.
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 08:51:19 PM

I would have answered your poll, but as mlferro pointed out, you are missing an option for "never".

I chose 500 years as never, because I think by then we will have colony in different planets and we will probably shift from the current state of the internet. So, everything that is stuck to this internet might be considered as lost by then. Smiley

R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 12:47:37 AM

Since “infinite years” is technically within the range of “>500 years”, I'm voting for that option.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
R2D221

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 12:52:14 AM

I chose 500 years as never, because I think by then we will have colony in different planets and we will probably shift from the current state of the internet. So, everything that is stuck to this internet might be considered as lost by then.

Even if we inhabit all Solar System planets (something beyond that is quite unrealistic), why do you think the Earth's Internet will suddenly stop existing? Also, Bitcoin does not require Internet at all. Theoretically you could implement the Bitcoin protocol using telegraphs (provided enough consensus, of course).

samuel999

Activity: 256

CSGOBetGuide.com - Esports Gambling List

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 12:58:46 AM

Could do one time since the most were lost in the beginning, who knows how many.  Would affect the price.
Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 01:19:44 AM

A bitcoin is never lost, Frodo Baggins, a bitcoin exists exactly where it means to

I chose 500 years as never, because I think by then we will have colony in different planets and we will probably shift from the current state of the internet. So, everything that is stuck to this internet might be considered as lost by then.

Even if we inhabit all Solar System planets (something beyond that is quite unrealistic), why do you think the Earth's Internet will suddenly stop existing? Also, Bitcoin does not require Internet at all. Theoretically you could implement the Bitcoin protocol using telegraphs (provided enough consensus, of course).

Quantum entanglement data communication has been demonstrated in the lab and is currently undergoing testing at significant distances.... this should mean, that by the time we are ready to go to other stars, we can have a hugely powerful laser pointed at the destination, that while it will take the speed of light time to first establish the link, will then offer instantaneous communication, so first humans to alpha centauri could possibly have a less laggy internet connection than everyone does now. Provided they remember to fire the laser about 5 years before they get there.... (Not absolutely sure on this, but it may be required to drop off a mirror exactly halfway, easier than freezing the photons for 5 years I assume.)

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 01:25:38 AM

Feel free to consider coins unspent for 30 years as lost.

However don't even think about trying to confiscate them.
R2D221

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 03:23:22 AM

Quantum entanglement data communication has been demonstrated in the lab and is currently undergoing testing at significant distances.... this should mean, that by the time we are ready to go to other stars, we can have a hugely powerful laser pointed at the destination, that while it will take the speed of light time to first establish the link, will then offer instantaneous communication, so first humans to alpha centauri could possibly have a less laggy internet connection than everyone does now. Provided they remember to fire the laser about 5 years before they get there.... (Not absolutely sure on this, but it may be required to drop off a mirror exactly halfway, easier than freezing the photons for 5 years I assume.)

I'm not a physicist, but many answers in the Physics Stack Exchange seem to agree that communication via quantum entanglement is not possible. For example: http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/15282/quantum-entanglement-faster-than-speed-of-light

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: