Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:25:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Core in multi user environment  (Read 1078 times)
ForgottenPassword (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 03:18:08 PM

On linux, Bitcoin Core stores the blockchain and wallet files in the users home folder (~/.bitcoin). This is bad because if you have multiple users using Bitcoin Core, you'll have a copy of the blockchain in each users home folder, when you only need 1 copy.

I'd like to store the blockchain outside of the home folders, but keep the wallet files inside the home folders. What is the best way to do this?

I have private messages disabled. Send me an email instead. My contact details can be found here.

Tip Address: 13Lwo1hK5smoBpFWxmqeKSL52EvN8U7asX

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BCwinning

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 03:19:36 PM

You could and I don't know for sure but I'd start with trying symbolic links from the ~/home to the public folder you want to use.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:11:13 PM

You could and I don't know for sure but I'd start with trying symbolic links from the ~/home to the public folder you want to use.

Then several instances of BC will try to write to the same files at the same time.

I don't think there's a straightforward solution to this.
BCwinning

Activity: 770

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:51:13 PM

Then several instances of BC will try to write to the same files at the same time.

I would think there would be some kind of file lock
to prevent this from happening though. Plus I assumed it's just a home pc with multiple users but only one accessing the machine at any given time.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
BookLover

Activity: 533

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 05:14:34 PM

You can use -datadir=<dir>.  See:https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin#Command-line_arguments

ForgottenPassword (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 05:18:33 PM

This doesn't let you store the wallets in the home folders, and the -wallet argument seems to only let you specify wallets inside the data dir.

I have private messages disabled. Send me an email instead. My contact details can be found here.

Tip Address: 13Lwo1hK5smoBpFWxmqeKSL52EvN8U7asX
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 05:25:09 PM

This doesn't let you store the wallets in the home folders, and the -wallet argument seems to only let you specify wallets inside the data dir.

In a multi machine environment you could use a single machine running bitcoin core and the others connecting to it using mSIGNA[1].

[1] https://ciphrex.com/products/

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 06:20:09 AM

Depends on what you mean with “multi user environment”. If it's a desktop or laptop shared by a family, it's impossible that two people are using it at the same time. Switching accounts may leave programs open, but (as far as I know) they get suspended and should not conflict with others. If it's a server (maybe like an online wallet), then definitely many people can use it, but in that case you should have a single program (other than Bitcoin Core) managing all accounts.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 11:37:44 AM

Depends on what you mean with “multi user environment”. If it's a desktop or laptop shared by a family, it's impossible that two people are using it at the same time. Switching accounts may leave programs open, but (as far as I know) they get suspended and should not conflict with others. If it's a server (maybe like an online wallet), then definitely many people can use it, but in that case you should have a single program (other than Bitcoin Core) managing all accounts.

It depends on the OS and settings. In a Unix based multiuser environment (eg OS X) nothing get suspended. Likewise you can have two people using the machine via screen sharing for example.

:-)

btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 05:53:25 PM

It depends on the OS and settings. In a Unix based multiuser environment (eg OS X) nothing get suspended. Likewise you can have two people using the machine via screen sharing for example.

:-)

Likewise on Windows -- if you lock your account either explicitly (shortcut: windows-L) or implicitly (starting a Remote Desktop session with user #2 while user #1 is logged in), all programs will remain running in the background (except Win8 Metro-style apps, but that's irrelevant). I think shorena's option of running a single Bitcoin Core instance w/o a wallet and then configuring mSIGNA or Multibit clients to connect to localhost is probably the best option.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: