Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:42:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Preventing newbies to start new threads!  (Read 2322 times)
spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 04:08:23 PM

Just noticed that SuchPool will stop their operations because of the many scams in 2014. We will probably see a lot more of them in 2015. Good coins are losing their value, because like I said many times - people are sheeps in general. Since the beginning of 2013 we have about 800% more coins on CoinMarketCap, but capitalization was shrinked with about 350%. I think that this forum can do something about it. I have some suggestion, but I also want to start discussion in that matter.

1. Newbies must not be able to start new topics in Announcements section. I think that solution is a member to be registered for at least 3 months, and to be ranked at least as Jr. Member. In that way people can look over his history and be more confident with their investments. This of course will not entirely stop scams, but I'm sure that it will reduce them significantly. That action will also reduce viruses distributed by various newbie accounts.

P.S. I know that this topic is not for that section, but I am posting it here, because it is concerned.

Cheers,
Spartak

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitspender

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:12:36 PM

It will create a market in user account on hackforums etc.
Shadow_Runner

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:14:33 PM

WTS my account @ 100 BTC.  Roll Eyes Grin
Just kidding.  Smiley
fullhouse

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:15:31 PM

preventing newbies can not  stop their scam.
they will buy many account for their scam Undecided

spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 04:16:47 PM

If someone steal account, the owner of hacked acc. will be able to follow it and to post warnings. People can take some precautions after that and the scam may be caught earlier.

martinyin

Activity: 512

★YoBit.Net★ 1400+ Coins Exchange

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:16:53 PM

i think this is a good idea although it's just gonna raise the cost of a scam a little.

Am I spamming? Report me!
louiseth1
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Bitfarms.io

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 04:17:57 PM

We're not shutting down especially because of the scams, rather the general health of the markets.

It's harder than ever for us to turn a profit, therefore we halt our operations for the time being. We do realize that most of 2014 coins were scammish and most didn't end up great, but the scams are not the main reason for our closure.

Just wanted to clarify that Smiley

Bitfarms.io - Powering Blockchains with Sustainable Energy
spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 04:20:18 PM

We're not shutting down especially because of the scams, rather the general health of the markets.

It's harder than ever for us to turn a profit, therefore we halt our operations for the time being. We do realize that most of 2014 coins were scammish and most didn't end up great, but the scams are not the main reason for our closure.

Scams are killing the price of good coins and therefore profits so I think it is main reason. Smiley

spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 04:21:41 PM

i think this is a good idea although it's just gonna raise the cost of a scam a little.

Well... at least it's better than no actions whatsoever.

Ingramtg
Legendary

Activity: 861

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:26:11 PM

i suggest only sr member and above can creat the topic in this section

anyone thinks this is good idea?
spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 04:37:44 PM

It's a bit harsh imo.

unusualfacts30

Activity: 1540

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:38:17 PM

Scams are killing the price of good coins and therefore profits so I think it is main reason. Smiley

that's like saying altcoins are killing the price of bitcoin.

untrue.

It's not like btctalk sr. member accounts can't be bought. I don't think it's going to stop scammers at all.

Decentralized
Asset-Backed Banking

▄▄██████████████████
 █████████████████████
█████▀▀
████▀    ████
████     ████
████     ████
         ████     ████
         ████    ▄████
               ▄▄█████
█████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀ 
.TheStandard.io.█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
naphariel

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:39:24 PM

It's retarded.
It will only promote spamming, nothing more.
bitcreditscc

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:40:55 PM

While i understand the issue, I have to say no. Let markets decide what lives and what dies.

A lot of the coiners here have alternate accounts, sometimes multiple alternates.

being a "this" or "that" member simply says how long you have been using an account with no bearing on your trust.

spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 04:43:29 PM

that's like saying altcoins are killing the price of bitcoin.

untrue.

It's not like btctalk sr. member accounts can't be bought. I don't think it's going to stop scammers at all.

Of course that altcoins (and scams) has something to do with the price of bitcoin. What do you think scammers are doing? Take some BTC, sell them for no matter what price and buy themselves boats. How about prices of abandoned coins? You buy 1BTC worth of shitcoin at 1k satoshi and your investment is $275 (based on BTC current price). What happens when it hit 100 satoshi for example and you still didn't sold?

Neotox
Legendary

Activity: 1120

Free & Fast Neotox Escrow http://bit.ly/1OGVykp

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 04:44:17 PM

i don't think it will prevent scam because most newbie account that launch new coin are old member of this forum, and create a new alt account to launch the coin

Available
PM me to rent this space.
spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 04:45:58 PM

i don't think it will prevent scam because most newbie account that launch new coin are old member of this forum, and create a new alt account to launch the coin

You are right, but if btctalk take this measure they will be forced to expose themselves with their real account or to buy one. Surely it can reduce scams in some way.

bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:50:19 PM

Sounds great at first but it will just lead to people creating a bunch of dummy accounts spamming some general stuff until they get to whatever level they can post new threads and sell these accounts as stated above.

Besides, it's worth noting that scammers might be more successful because people generally trust older accounts more.

I think people just need to be educated because at the end of the day knowledge is the best way to avoid getting scammed.

For example, people should avoid running random wallet and miner executables. Everybody should use sandboxes or virtual machines or run them on a machine with a throwaway OS. People should also see ICO/IPO/premine for what they are and not go for them. Don't give coins/devs the opportunity to be able to scam people. But what about initial coin costs? Well, I think if some dev or devteam is really confident in their idea of a coin, what better way is there to show their confidence than to pay for the initial costs like bounties and logos themselves? And if they are not confident enough, they shouldn't bother with another shitcoin. Sure, they should be paid for their work if they actually offer something but only in a way that prevents the possibility of them screwing over others.

This is why I love PoW coins where a fraction of the reward from every block goes to the devs (for example 1coin) which gives the incentive for them to stick around and care about the coin. Having a premine, or even not having a premine both lacks that incentive and will probably lead to the devs abandoning the project with, or without scamming and probably move to the next one under a new name.

Not your keys, not your coins!
Shadow_Runner

Activity: 574

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:53:43 PM

As I created yesterday PeaceBit thread with new idea, I have a modified idea.

Maybe need to create new rule:

New users WHO PAID to escrow they CAN create in this forum ANN threads.
Other users who didn't pay can only create a posts in this forum.

Escrow will set a bounties for pools, exchanges etc. Not dev. Dev has paid to escrow.

Maybe it is radical way, but why not? This idea can be expanded.
spartak_t (OP)
Legendary

@FAILCommunity

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2015, 04:55:49 PM

Sounds great at first but it will just lead to people creating a bunch of dummy accounts spamming some general stuff until they get to whatever level they can post new threads and sell these accounts as stated above.

Besides, it's worth noting that scammers might be more successful because people generally trust older accounts more.

I think people just need to be educated because at the end of the day knowledge is the best way to avoid getting scammed.

For example, people should avoid running random wallet and miner executables. Everybody should use sandboxes or virtual machines or run them on a machine with a throwaway OS. People should also see ICO/IPO/premine for what they are and not go for them. Don't give coins/devs the opportunity to be able to scam people. But what about initial coin costs? Well, I think if some dev or devteam is really confident in their idea of a coin, what better way is there to show their confidence than to pay for the initial costs like bounties and logos themselves? And if they are not confident enough, they shouldn't bother with another shitcoin. Sure, they should be paid for their work if they actually offer something but only in a way that prevents the possibility of them screwing over others.

This is why I love PoW coins where a fraction of the reward from every block goes to the devs (for example 1coin) which gives the incentive for them to stick around and care about the coin. Having a premine, or even not having a premine both lacks that incentive and will probably lead to the devs abandoning the project with, or without scamming and probably move to the next one under a new name.

That is a first good point imo, but you are missing something here. People need to spam with those general stuff for like 3 months. You will also be able to follow their posts and see if they are bs posted to raise their rank on btctalk. If someone still invest in dev with such account, it deserve to be scammed.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: