Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:40:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Walls crumbling under buying pressure for hours on end  (Read 5549 times)
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 07:02:40 AM

Folks, calm down. If you observe depth in real time, you'll notice that huge moves happen in unison. One or few persons behind this manipulation are having lots of fun reading theories about buying or selling pressure, or about any other attribute of a real large market. Don't get me wrong, I am an optimist, but the vocabulary here is delusional at times.

are you saying their is no buying or selling pressure? because the market is to small

It's all just play money folks, no real business happening here Tongue.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 11:51:30 AM

Folks, calm down. If you observe depth in real time, you'll notice that huge moves happen in unison. One or few persons behind this manipulation are having lots of fun reading theories about buying or selling pressure, or about any other attribute of a real large market. Don't get me wrong, I am an optimist, but the vocabulary here is delusional at times.

+1

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 02:54:05 PM

You're right that most of the effect is due to a few large players, but they are patient and mostly passive. Those "huge moves in unison" are reactions to external pressure, as a weather vane adjusts to the wind. Two signs of buying pressure: trading 60oz of gold for bitcoin, and complaints about delays clogging bitinstant phones.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
ineededausername (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 07:19:25 PM

I noticed something very ironic about the Bitcoin market.  Yesterday, when there was no depth, nothing happened.  Indeed, there were more sellers than buyers.  I thought it would hit $8 almost instantly, given that there was almost nothing in the way, but nope.  Today, there are walls, and the market has gone into what I call "wall-eating mode" again.  In the last few hours, buys outnumber sells by a factor of 7, and 8500 BTC of that formidable wall has been eaten.  Yesterday I was feeling very bearish after it went nowhere, but today I am feeling better, even though we are trapped under 7.1.

Perhaps it's better to have walls.

(BFL)^2 < 0
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 07:28:31 PM

Indeed, it is.  The walls are evidence that there is an active trading group, thus the price is a current consensus.  The lack of walls implies that speculators might have been scared away as much as it implies that the  price is moving. 

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 07:30:15 PM

I felt similar and was quite suprised by the slow movement equally. But not so much, because larger buys need eqally large sells on the other side. No one wants to buy with a huge slippage to cover. Secondly, the current wall was placed and removed many times unpredictably, thus unsettling traders: Do you want to buy at 7.2$ when you fear that an ASK wall will be placed any minute pushing you and your coins back to 7$?
I am quite certain that once we covered some ground this rally will also pick up pace.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 07:42:11 PM

I noticed something very ironic about the Bitcoin market.  Yesterday, when there was no depth, nothing happened.  Indeed, there were more sellers than buyers.  I thought it would hit $8 almost instantly, given that there was almost nothing in the way, but nope.  Today, there are walls, and the market has gone into what I call "wall-eating mode" again.  In the last few hours, buys outnumber sells by a factor of 7, and 8500 BTC of that formidable wall has been eaten.  Yesterday I was feeling very bearish after it went nowhere, but today I am feeling better, even though we are trapped under 7.1.

I think it is just that anyone paying attention knows there was 20-40k that kept popping on and off, but does actually sell some. When the price broke through we didn't know if those coins would pop up at 7.50 or 7.00 or even lower so there was hesitancy. Now we know (for now). And 7.10 isn't a bad price since we did hit 7.25 so it gets a good amount of action.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Chaz

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 07:42:42 PM

7.1 wall steadily getting eaten.

1FsQJtY4vbvbkJj4Pd869rDcbFmu11RHge
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 07:54:10 PM

When you say, "buys outnumber sells" this can literally be true since every buyer must have a seller.  Do you mean what's on the order book?  Or are you discriminating between who posted the "wall" (limit order) verses who met it?

ineededausername (OP)

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 08:03:40 PM

When you say, "buys outnumber sells" this can literally be true since every buyer must have a seller.  Do you mean what's on the order book?  Or are you discriminating between who posted the "wall" (limit order) verses who met it?

Buy = limit order matching a standing ask
Sell = limit order matching a standing bid

(BFL)^2 < 0
notme
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 08:19:49 PM

Nothing ironic here.  Walls = liquidity.  Without liquidity the big boys don't want to play because slippage kills and gaps get filled.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 08:31:46 PM

When you say, "buys outnumber sells" this can literally be true since every buyer must have a seller.  Do you mean what's on the order book?  Or are you discriminating between who posted the "wall" (limit order) verses who met it?

I think he means 70% of bitcoin trades are executed by pressing the buy button

and as for the "wall eating mode", why buy 1000 bitcoin at an avg price of 7.20 when you can wait for a wall to show up at 7.10

ineededausername (OP)

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 09:07:24 PM

I guess the manipulator had enough of the wall being eaten... up we go!  I bet we're going to hit $7.3 this time Grin

That's right, no more walls.  BUY BUY BUY

(BFL)^2 < 0
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 09:21:22 PM

remember, the dam has already been breeched.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 09:26:41 PM

I guess the manipulator had enough of the wall being eaten... up we go!  I bet we're going to hit $7.3 this time Grin

That's right, no more walls.  BUY BUY BUY

I think we are going to 7.50 $, where the next wall will pop up. (just guessing)
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 09:38:39 PM

I think it can still be repaired.  We need to avoid a flood.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
ineededausername (OP)

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 09:42:50 PM

If it gets breached again you better remove that bear!

(BFL)^2 < 0
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 09:57:04 PM

i agree.  slow grinds are the best.
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 10:26:46 PM

I think that's the intention of the walls. Market-maker trying to keep things under control.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
adamstgBit
Legendary

Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2012, 10:45:49 PM

I think that's the intention of the walls. Market-maker trying to keep things under control.

make sense a nice slow rise would be easier to stabilize near the top, allowing the manipulator to slowly sell off at a high price, then stop supporting the high price to let it slowly go down, only to buy back and do it all over again?

if you had 5 million dollars to put into bitcoin, what would you do?

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: