Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 05:12:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: S3 mining trouble in -20C - any possible fixes (apart from heat)  (Read 502 times)
gingivitis (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 12:21:30 AM

Howdy, I've got a group of S3s that are now refusing the mine due to the temperature (I believe).

The temperature is -20 C to -25 C in the room where the miners are located. They've been operating fine when the temperature was a little higher (-15 C). The temperature sensor on the units is reporting a temperature of 255 and 252. The fans are running full out because clearly it thinks the temperature is through the roof, even though it's not. It's only hashing right now at around at a mind-numbingly slow speed of .46GH instead of the normal 300GH+.

Does anyone else have experience running miners in very low temperatures. If it's simply not possible, that's fine, I just need to know and I can move them to an alternate location. I like them where they are because I have cheap electricity there $0.06 and it's nice and clean and away from other equipment so fan noise isn't a big deal.

I tried updating one S3 to the latest firmware, but now I can't load the "minter status" page to see what temperatures and speeds its reporting, as I read in the release notes that one of the latest firmware releases addressed an issue with negative temperatures.

Thanks for any suggestions.
dissolution

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 12:30:35 AM

I JUST posted this. its about 3 threads down talking about how GOOD they work in cold weather

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN7HtmNOA5Y

I live in Canada.. and it gets cold. -20 -30C is fine.   we get to -40c/-40f here

THis is an S1 mind you.

Only thing is.. i powered it on quickly and had it mining right away....... maybe take them in. warm them up and try them? if they work fine take em one at a time and put them in their cold spot but power them on very fast.     once they are warm they will stay warm.

mine has been in a garage for almost 2 weeks now... its drafty and not sealed  -42c with the windchill here tonight. or -44f

Subw

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 12:37:40 AM

Howdy, I've got a group of S3s that are now refusing the mine due to the temperature (I believe).

The temperature is -20 C to -25 C in the room where the miners are located. They've been operating fine when the temperature was a little higher (-15 C). The temperature sensor on the units is reporting a temperature of 255 and 252. The fans are running full out because clearly it thinks the temperature is through the roof, even though it's not. It's only hashing right now at around at a mind-numbingly slow speed of .46GH instead of the normal 300GH+.

Does anyone else have experience running miners in very low temperatures.
same shit happened to 3 (out of 9) S1s which was placed near the floor (when most cold is).
i disconnected vent fan and S1 fans and in 30 seconds they started hashing again.
temp was around -22C outside and room was not heated but well ventilated
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2015, 04:55:44 AM

If you need to increase temps a bit you can 'greenhouse' them by putting  a crane over the top with a cutout. That way they'll keep an envelope of warmer air around them but still be able to ventilate.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: