Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 04:18:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The cost of bitcoin system is too high.it is not a cheap payment at all.  (Read 3308 times)
oyasumi (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 11:10:15 AM

Bitcoin(PoW) need hash race,and,many computer work,but just one computer's working is effective at one time.
Compare to mainframe used in banks,the cost of Bitcoin is much more higher.Now transaction fee is low because the cost of system is undertake by people who buy bitcoins,not people who use bitcoins.
One block gives miner 25 new coins now,but new coin's production rate is reducing,more and more people will find the cost of bitcoin is too high.

What about PoS?PoS is better,but not good enough.POS do not need hash race,but also one computer's working is effective at one time.And,it is not fair to miner,The output does not relative to hardware input.
If people use  virtual currency million times per second,the money spend on computing device、I/O device、electricity bills must not be ignored.Hardware cost/total cost higher,profit rate lower.the money spend on hardware is same,so rich investors will get higher profit rate.Only miner who has many coins is going to mine,it will lead to concentrate.
VectorChief

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 11:26:53 AM

Bitcoin(PoW) need hash race,and,many computer work,but just one computer's working is effective at one time.
Compare to mainframe used in banks,the cost of Bitcoin is much more higher.Now transaction fee is low because the cost of system is undertake by people who buy bitcoins,not people who use bitcoins.
One block gives miner 25 new coins now,but new coin's production rate is reducing,more and more people will find the cost of bitcoin is too high.

What about PoS?PoS is better,but not good enough.POS do not need hash race,but also one computer's working is effective at one time.And,it is not fair to miner,The output does not relative to hardware input.
If people use  virtual currency million times per second,the money spend on computing device、I/O device、electricity bills must not be ignored.Hardware cost/total cost higher,profit rate lower.the money spend on hardware is same,so rich investors will get higher profit rate.Only miner who has many coins is going to mine,it will lead to concentrate.

Following the same logic, maintaining armies for nation states requires large amounts of resources, but people still do it. The answer is simple - that's the cost of sovereignty to control the land. It's the same with PoW only we are talking about controlling the global money system.
oyasumi (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 11:35:02 AM

Following the same logic, maintaining armies for nation states requires large amounts of resources, but people still do it. The answer is simple - that's the cost of sovereignty to control the land. It's the same with PoW only we are talking about controlling the global money system.
It is needed in Bitcoin system,but not needed in bank or visa system.
So how does Bitcoin compete wiht banks and visa etc.
VectorChief

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 11:38:50 AM

Banks and visas of this world can impose sanctions and freeze your accounts, Bitcoin allows you to stay independent if you are willing to put some effort into it, while still maintaining integrity of the whole system and keeping its global reach.
oyasumi (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 11:51:53 AM
Last edit: January 13, 2015, 02:29:36 PM by oyasumi

Banks and visas of this world can impose sanctions and freeze your accounts, Bitcoin allows you to stay independent if you are willing to put some effort into it, while still maintaining integrity of the whole system and keeping its global reach.

Of course,it is Bitcoin's advantage.But I I doubt how many people will be going to use Bitcoin if transactioin fee is 30 dollars in 2030.
And,it's not just advantage.Bitcoin is free currency,if Bitcoin is lost or hacked,no one can get it back.
FandangledGizmo
Legendary

Activity: 1138
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 11:55:49 AM

Yes Decentralized currencies give you a great deal of personal freedom that banks can't compete with that has value.

Bitcoin also still currently costs 1/3 of the price of traditional payment options even when using BitPay to convert back to fiat.

POS of course is even cheaper. Personally I expect dollar stable assets which only charge 1¢ per transaction to revolutionize global remittance & payments this year

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179695.msg10078463#msg10078463

I also expect this to reverse the crypto-currency downtrend because they solve the volatility problem.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=920345.0
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2015, 11:57:34 AM

I'm not sure what is the actual cost to maintain the whole payment system compared to the conventional fiat system. Also I have never seen a detailed calculation made to date. However I have seen some proposals being put forward before on power generation companies utilizing the excess power towards maintaining the network. So in general there are bound to be solutions which we can use to address the issue  (if that is an issue in the first place)

VectorChief

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 12:16:07 PM
Last edit: January 12, 2015, 07:42:50 PM by VectorChief

Of course,it is Bitcoin's advantage.But I I doubt how many people will be going to use Bitcoin if transactioin fee is 30 dollars in 2030.

Dollars might not be around that far into the future, at least in their current form with current debt figures. Transaction fees will be kept low as block size limit will increase throughout this year.

Yes Decentralized currencies give you a great deal of personal freedom that banks can't compete with that has value.

Bitcoin also still currently costs 1/3 of the price of traditional payment options even when using BitPay to convert back to fiat.

POS of course is even cheaper. Personally I expect dollar stable assets which only charge 1¢ per transaction to revolutionize global remittance & payments this year

I also expect this to reverse the crypto-currency downtrend because they solve the volatility problem.

I believe there will be a few PoW coins and a few PoS coins and maybe a few PoI coins around competing with each other. PoW is better suited for PoWer players (as its name suggests) like nation states and big international corporations, PoS and PoI will be filling the niches for distributed asset exchanges and other fancy stuff for end users.

I'm not sure what is the actual cost to maintain the whole payment system compared to the conventional fiat system. Also I have never seen a detailed calculation made to date. However I have seen some proposals being put forward before on power generation companies utilizing the excess power towards maintaining the network. So in general there are bound to be solutions which we can use to address the issue  (if that is an issue in the first place)

If mining is performed at nearly break-even point, then current cost of the system is simply the emission of new coins, it's part of their value equation. That's what makes PoW coins tangible in real world as they are literally a cryptographic proof-of-work. Later on mining might be performed at a loss if competition for control over the system is stronger than the monetary incentive, that's mostly politics and flexing the muscles at that point. The cost of mining over the long-term will be reflecting the disagreements of major players, which cannot otherwise be resolved at the round table.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2015, 12:21:57 PM

So...go buy Litecoin and get it accepted?

Problem solved. For the rest of us, Bitcoin works.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
oyasumi (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 12:44:37 PM

338492    16 minutes    306    3,975.02 BTC    KnCMiner    134.8
338491    18 minutes    174    4,104.85 BTC    GHash.IO    99.3
338490    23 minutes    73    755.77 BTC    AntPool    62.36
338489    22 minutes    66    707.01 BTC    KnCMiner    36.18
338488    25 minutes    418    10,970.23 BTC    AntPool    521.66
338487    31 minutes    269    4,067.65 BTC    85.195.114.243    685.81
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Average number of transactions per block:218
The value of 25 bitcoins:278*25=6950
The cost of per transaction:6950/218=31.8(dollars)

218 transactons per ten minutes,It can be processed by a Gameboy or APLLE II.But in Bitcoin system,it need 6950 dollars per ten minutes,30024000 dollars per month.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 12:51:46 PM

^That's obviously not fair. The network isn't being well-utilized, and Gavin's already started campaigning for increasing the block size limit 20x (to solve a currently-non-existent problem). -And you can't really look at the mining cost at all since Bitcoin could operate exactly the same with just one AMD K6 mining. Anyway, I think the scarier numbers to look at involve the costs to relay the transaction queue and blockchain, which definitely won't be trending toward zero any time soon.

Just the ATM machines worldwide use way more electricity than the Bitcoin network...
This series of articles is worth a look on comparisons of energy usage:
http://www.coindesk.com/tag/Under-the-Microscope/
Umm... Do the Bitcoin ATMs kiosks "transaction facilitators" more than a couple companies want to become ubiquitous not count? Do all the full nodes operating not count? Online wallet services? What about block explorers?

I doubt mining takes up more than ~20% of electricity consumption if Bitcoin were looked at as carefully as other trade mediums in that article.
oyasumi (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 12:53:06 PM

Just the ATM machines worldwide use way more electricity than the Bitcoin network...
This series of articles is worth a look on comparisons of energy usage:
http://www.coindesk.com/tag/Under-the-Microscope/

I don't know it is real or not,but if Bitcoin developed,Bitcoin also need ATM.
Bitcoin is a clearing network,should not be confused with ATM.
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2015, 01:03:30 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

218 transactons per ten minutes,It can be processed by a Gameboy or APLLE II.But in Bitcoin system,it need 6950 dollars per ten minutes,30024000 dollars per month.

So, when the block reward is cut in half will the cost to run the network half as well?

How many coins are rewarded each block for the PoS, Litecoin system?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
oyasumi (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 01:18:44 PM

You mix mining (coin generation := central bank) and handling transactions.
In fact you also generate coins while processing transactions.
The cost for Bitcoin is the cost to have a financial system.
The costs will always be > 0.
But the costs for Bitcoin are < the costs for the classical financial system.
You mean transactions' processing is not contained in mining?
It's seem to be different from my understanding.
Just 218 transactions per 10 minutes,cost is 6950 dollars,is it because of PoW,will it happened again after 20 years later?
For example,there are some transactions,it need one computer to process,but in Bitcoin system,it need 200 computers to hash race,20 computer to process transactions itself,and just one computer's working is effective.So how can bitcoin's cost be lower?
FandangledGizmo
Legendary

Activity: 1138
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 01:27:19 PM

Dollars might not be around that far into the future, at least in their current form with current debt figures.
Transaction fees will be kept low as block size limit will increase throughout this year.

I believe there will be a few PoW coins and a few PoS coins and maybe a few PoI coins around competing with each other. PoW is better suited for PoWer players (as its name suggests) like nation states and big international corporations, PoS and PoI will be filling the niches for distributed asset exchanges and other fancy stuff for end users.

If mining is performed at nearly break-even point, then current cost of the system is simply the emission of new coins, it's part of their value equation. That's what makes PoW coins tangible in real world as they are literally a cryptographic proof-of-work. Later on mining might be performed at a loss if competition for control over the system is stronger than the monetary incentive, that's mostly politics and flexing the muscles at that point. The cost of mining over the long-term will be reflecting the disagreements of major players, which cannot otherwise be resolved at the round table.

I don't think there will be many POW coins.  The vast majority of coins today are POW, yet they are constantly declining in market share and soon Bitcoin will be the only POW in the top 7 if Litecoin continues it's descent.

I think POW has been proved inefficient by the market already.

That's not to say Bitcoin can't maintain it's position, it still dwarfs all the competition put together.

However if my hypothesis is true that Bitcoin is trending constantly down without a catalyst due to being too volatile for businesses, then I imagine even Bitcoin will be replaced by a 2.0 offering stable dollar & currency options but backed by unstable crypto-currency.
oyasumi (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 01:31:07 PM

So, when the block reward is cut in half will the cost to run the network half as well?

It will be two possibility:transactions fee higher or security lower.
The biggest part of Bitcoin system'cost is for defending from 51% attack.
freebit13

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

I got Satoshi's avatar!

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 02:08:54 PM

You've confused the block reward and the transaction fees. The 25 bitcoin reward is paid to the miners by the bitcoin network and that will halve in 2016. The transaction fees are what is paid over and above the 25btc block reward. At the moment it is usually less than 1btc per block and that it all that is paid by the users as transaction fees.

Decentralize EVERYTHING!
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2015, 03:08:14 PM

Even with PoS, the cost would be the same per block.

VectorChief

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 04:13:37 PM

I don't think there will be many POW coins.  The vast majority of coins today are POW, yet they are constantly declining in market share and soon Bitcoin will be the only POW in the top 7 if Litecoin continues it's descent.

I think POW has been proved inefficient by the market already.

That's not to say Bitcoin can't maintain it's position, it still dwarfs all the competition put together.

However if my hypothesis is true that Bitcoin is trending constantly down without a catalyst due to being too volatile for businesses, then I imagine even Bitcoin will be replaced by a 2.0 offering stable dollar & currency options but backed by unstable crypto-currency.

I'm pretty sure that only PoW coins are agile and flexible enough to grow into some really Big Badgers that would then take on the Big Brothers of this world and eat them good Grin. That's the main reason they were created, the rest is just noise in a form of bells and whistles. In that sense, Bitcoin and Litecoin are brothers badgers for life!
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 05:02:04 PM

The cost of using Visa and MC is huge. Shops must buy a dedicated terminal which costs at least $300, and there's a higher fee to pay for each transaction. Then there's Visa which I'm sure has back office with servers in every country the service is offered. We're talking of a network with several thousands dedicated servers in it. This wasn't made in a day, and it took billions to build...

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: