Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:25:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANNOUNCE] OpenPay - Entering Burn In, Shake Down & Alpha Test phase.  (Read 19391 times)
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 11:32:30 PM

*facepalm* do you even know git? Cause if people are submitting pull request are you going to know how to safely merge them into the master? Do you know branching so you can have a development, master, and production branches with tags?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
randy-waterhouse

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 11:55:45 PM

*facepalm* do you even know git? Cause if people are submitting pull request are you going to know how to safely merge them into the master? Do you know branching so you can have a development, master, and production branches with tags?

not helpful.
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 12:35:58 AM

not helpful.

Actually very helpful, how will i submit my fixes when i find bugs Wink and how will people know what is the dev build, and not production, or master build? And with tags you will be able to find what version of the software you want. So now tell me how it is not helpful again Smiley ok
isis (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 01:48:31 AM

not helpful.

Actually very helpful, how will i submit my fixes when i find bugs Wink and how will people know what is the dev build, and not production, or master build? And with tags you will be able to find what version of the software you want. So now tell me how it is not helpful again Smiley ok

Yes I do know how to use git.  Everyone thus far that has been helping has stated explicitly that they have no development experience but are willing to help test.  That translates into binary builds since I don't have a lot of time to help others figure out their dev environment issues.

Right now the software development aspect of this has been a one man show.  I've been commiting changes to my local repo but simply spaced on comitting to the master branch on github.

If it were a situation where there were other developers involved I probably would have either noticed it or at least had the stale repo issue brought to my attention much sooner.

Interested in OpenPay?
https://github.com/openpay
Donate to show your appreciation and support the effort!

1LMDCSAwjhT2Vp1sSf62dybEYW3MYpsoZj

Pyramining Links - Help OpenPay and get a 10% bonus on your funds.
http://pyramining.com/referral/zre9ysgqt
http://pyramining.com/referral/ans9km72g
http://pyramining.com/referral/f3k4xebzp
http://pyramining.com/referral/nc3ag2sdb
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 05:10:28 AM

So any ETA on when new source might be up on github?

Thanks.

gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 05:30:36 AM

not helpful.

Yes I do know how to use git.  Everyone thus far that has been helping has stated explicitly that they have no development experience but are willing to help test.  That translates into binary builds since I don't have a lot of time to help others figure out their dev environment issues.

Right now the software development aspect of this has been a one man show.  I've been commiting changes to my local repo but simply spaced on comitting to the master branch on github.

If it were a situation where there were other developers involved I probably would have either noticed it or at least had the stale repo issue brought to my attention much sooner.

There seems to be a lot of developers interested, and I am trying to help you so don't get a ton of merge conflicts and everything is nice and tested, before people use it, but you seem to know everything so I guess I am not needed. BTW make sure you using JUNIT to add test.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 10:48:22 AM

So the question at hand is do we want yet another android wallet app, or do we want a standalone service that could be integrated into someone elses infrastructure?

I would keep it simple.
Write a utility that people can run in a terminal window on their home computer that signs the tx.
Don't bother with a fancy UI or anything. Just write the reference implementation.

That way you are inviting people to take your code and rework it up to something fancier/ more integrated/ Android smartphone app.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2012, 10:23:40 PM

The second stage will be the "Shake Down" phase, this will be a sort of wargames period.  The Open Payment Alliance will pre-load the network with up to 1000 bitcoins, all of which will be constantly traversing the network.  The bitcoins on the network will all be real and they will be involved in binding transactions that will be occurring during this phase.  The purpose is to try and break (or break into) the system.   Anything you can come up with in terms of an attack will be fair game on the network during this time.  Our goal during this time is to learn how well the network and our reference stack can withstand sustained assaults, attacks and threats.  All the money you can capture during this phase will belong to you, no questions asked.  Our most significant goal is to learn how to analyze and defend against the attacks, so while we would appreciate any information you can provide, it's not strictly necessary.  This period is expected to last 1 to 2 months and during this time there will be a public scoreboard on the OPA website where you can see who got away with what and how they did it, (in as much as we are able to determine these facts).
So, when will the "Shake Down"-phase commence? I got /r/netsec all worked up about it, I sure hope it will become reality. Smiley
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 04:52:38 PM

@Isis. Can you recommend a reference EMV USB card programmer and a brand/ card type that I can buy to try things out ?

There are bound to be various differences here and there so it would be good to have a reference hardware platform to work with.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: