Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 09:42:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So will 2015 be the year that home mining ends?  (Read 5273 times)
hdmediaservices (OP)

Activity: 630
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 03:14:23 AM

Wow - so I guess I feel a little depressed. 

1.  No new Scrypt mining hardware.

2.  Everything went to the Ponzi-Mining -- which is starting to collapse for many. 

3.  Most alt coins are becoming less profitable to mine.

I don't really see any of these alt coins becoming mainstream.  Does anyone?  So much for LTC being BTC's silver?  LOL

I mean each one says it does this or that or supports something new and exciting - but no one is really using them for anything but trading to BTC in the end.

Any new ideas / technologies to come?  Or is this going to be the end year of home mining (no matter how you do it -- CPU / GPU / ASIC).

I have been interested in the hard drive BURST mining.  It is something different at least, but I guess that could easily be taken over by huge cloud drives as well. 

bensam123

Activity: 423
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 06:57:57 AM

They're becoming less profitable due to private kernels being distributed to large miners in the background. This is exactly what's happening. There is a steady stream of miners leaving the market, profits should be rising, less miners = more profits all else being equal. Even including the decline of BTC, it's based on private kernels which you can purchase from some forum members.

GPU mining is turning into ASICs, only you cant' tell who is selling what and for how much. It's all based off backroom trading.
ATC

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 01:49:20 PM

I think you can have a try EGOLD, SILVR and ELEMS, no ASIC for them.

https://nxtforum.org/monetary-system-153/

Bombadil

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 05:50:11 PM

They're becoming less profitable due to private kernels being distributed to large miners in the background. This is exactly what's happening. There is a steady stream of miners leaving the market, profits should be rising, less miners = more profits all else being equal. Even including the decline of BTC, it's based on private kernels which you can purchase from some forum members.

GPU mining is turning into ASICs, only you cant' tell who is selling what and for how much. It's all based off backroom trading.

Srsly, like this hasn't happened before. Priv miners have always been here, but because they decided to step out of the shadows, you've just started noticing them.
There has always been centralization of hashing power: those who have money can make more money.
The only reason mining profits are low is because BTC is low. Stop looking for some other explanation, it's bordering conspiracy theories..  
chrysophylax
Legendary

Activity: 2828
Merit: 1091

--- ChainWorks Industries ---

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2015, 01:34:15 AM

Srsly, like this hasn't happened before. Priv miners have always been here, but because they decided to step out of the shadows, you've just started noticing them.
There has always been centralization of hashing power: those who have money can make more money.
The only reason mining profits are low is because BTC is low. Stop looking for some other explanation, it's bordering conspiracy theories..  

well - im a home miner and ive just 'upgraded' my farm to 42 new gigabyte 750ti oc lowprofile ( non-powered ) cards due to their price AND power draw ...

that will change to 240 when the rest of the motherboards come in and i use the 'other' room for expansion ...

i for one refuse to invest fiat into crypto only to find that its 'not going up in price' - purely because everyone that does that DEFEATS the purpose that crypto was invented for in the first place ...

like is said in a comment on cryptobucket a little while ago ... satoshi would be astounded at what we are trying to do with crypto ... instead of using it for what it was intended - we are trading it for fiat - which is government controlled and OWNED - unlike crypto ... so we are just falling into a merry-go-round of complacency that the governments of the world WANT us to be in ...

if they cant control - they cant abuse ... and so on ...

i actually USE the currency im making - how do you expect to expand the farm and equipment and electricity? ...

home miners leaving this market? ... not in a million years - as im not the only one worldwide that is investing a few thousand dollars to do this ...

there are millions of us ... really ... Wink

#crysx

jawitech

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 01:38:51 AM

While nearly all coin are going the same way - invest in expensive hardware to increase the hashrate for every single miner - Magi goes the opposite way.

Magi is a CPU only coin (PoW/PoS) with a variable block reward design. The higher the total hashrate (i.e. botnets, GPU miners if there should be any,...), the lower the block reward so that it's less profitable to put huge hashrate in. With this design, it's trying to achieve decentralization as the best device for mining would be a usual home computer. So far, there are still some big players in, causing a lower block reward. But I'm sure they soon will leave for something that makes them more profit.

I don't say it's the new BTC, the perfect or best coin ever. No such marketing stuff is needed. It's an interesting concept with a hard working developer, consumes less power than many other coins and probably I step in the right direction.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=735170.0
chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2015, 01:42:35 AM

While nearly all coin are going the same way - invest in expensive hardware to increase the hashrate for every single miner - Magi goes the opposite way.

Magi is a CPU only coin (PoW/PoS) with a variable block reward design. The higher the total hashrate (i.e. botnets, GPU miners if there should be any,...), the lower the block reward so that it's less profitable to put huge hashrate in. With this design, it's trying to achieve decentralization as the best device for mining would be a usual home computer. So far, there are still some big players in, causing a lower block reward. But I'm sure they soon will leave for something that makes them more profit.

I don't say it's the new BTC, the perfect or best coin ever. No such marketing stuff is needed. It's an interesting concept with a hard working developer, consumes less power than many other coins and probably I step in the right direction.

believe it or not - i use MORE power to use a cpu at 100% than a 750ti oc card ...

most cpus run at around 100W ( more 125W these days ) at 100% while the gigabyte 750ti oc cards run at 60W at 100% ... and process a HUGE amount more ...

go figure Wink

#crysx

jawitech

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 01:47:21 AM

believe it or not - i use MORE power to use a cpu at 100% than a 750ti oc card ...

most cpus run at around 100W ( more 125W these days ) at 100% while the gigabyte 750ti oc cards run at 60W at 100% ... and process a HUGE amount more ...

go figure Wink

#crysx

That's why the developer provides a feature to decrease the CPU usage. If you don't want to let it run on 100%, set it lower.

Like I said, I didn't claim the coin being perfect, but it's going an interesting way. Of course, someone who invested x,xxx or more in mining hardware, prefers the other way.
MyFarm

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 02:14:20 AM

No, because Spreadcoin is evening the field as Santoshi intended: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=715435.0
chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2015, 03:12:56 AM

go figure Wink

#crysx

That's why the developer provides a feature to decrease the CPU usage. If you don't want to let it run on 100%, set it lower.

Like I said, I didn't claim the coin being perfect, but it's going an interesting way. Of course, someone who invested x,xxx or more in mining hardware, prefers the other way.

very true - and well done ...

i had ALL mining done with cpu initially a while back ( guess when ) Wink ... now - well i guess its all about volume ...

i will look at this coin today - i didnt know it existed ...

tanx mate ...

#crysx

chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2015, 03:14:24 AM

No, because Spreadcoin is evening the field as Santoshi intended: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=715435.0

hence the reason why sp is working on the optimized version for of the miner spreadx11 ...

will be interesting to see how this pans out ...

#crysx

Bananana

Activity: 481

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2015, 04:19:49 PM

2.  Everything went to the Ponzi-Mining -- which is starting to collapse for many. 

I don't really see any of these alt coins becoming mainstream.  Does anyone?  So much for LTC being BTC's silver?  LOL

I mean each one says it does this or that or supports something new and exciting - but no one is really using them for anything but trading to BTC in the end.

Any new ideas / technologies to come?  Or is this going to be the end year of home mining (no matter how you do it -- CPU / GPU / ASIC).

I have been interested in the hard drive BURST mining.  It is something different at least, but I guess that could easily be taken over by huge cloud drives as well. 

Not only it is end for home mining, it is also end for some big company like cex.io. They have high maintenance fee..

chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 03:13:03 AM

Not only it is end for home mining, it is also end for some big company like cex.io. They have high maintenance fee..

there is never an end ...

if there is money to be made SOMEWHERE - you can rest assured some big company out there is going to exploit it ... they have the cash to do it ...

guaranteed ...

#crysx

Bananana

Activity: 481

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2015, 01:41:17 PM

if there is money to be made SOMEWHERE - you can rest assured some big company out there is going to exploit it ... they have the cash to do it ...

guaranteed ...

#crysx

The main issues here is there, no more money to be made, look at the difficulty and BTC price now..

picolo

Activity: 1022

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 02:05:19 PM

The difficulty is going down and the price is going up now so the markets are correcting.
chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2015, 03:36:57 PM

guaranteed ...

#crysx

The main issues here is there, no more money to be made, look at the difficulty and BTC price now..

temporary ... always is ...

#crysx

chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2015, 03:38:14 PM

The difficulty is going down and the price is going up now so the markets are correcting.

exactly ...

will be quite fluctuative and quite unstable for a while - but it will correct ...

#crysx

Equate

Activity: 770

View Profile
January 15, 2015, 07:03:30 PM

With cex.io and other cloud mining farms shutting their operations , I rather hope that mining becomes de-centralized again.
chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 01:56:04 AM

With cex.io and other cloud mining farms shutting their operations , I rather hope that mining becomes de-centralized again.

if mining itself becomes a thing of the past - it will mean that the way coins are minted ( such a PoS for instance ) will have to become the mainstream under the current state of 'coinage' ...

mining is a necessity - so you may be forecasting something here ...

put the mining back in the hands of the people ... nice ... Wink

#crysx

DigiByte
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1051

Official DigiByte Account

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2015, 02:45:29 AM

DigiByte has 5 independent decentralized mining algorithms. If all 5 should become over ran by ASICs we will swap out for 2 GPU & CPU algos.

Check out our new 3 click beginner mining software that is now in beta:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=408268.msg10170256#msg10170256

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: