Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:59:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gavin Andresen on the front page of the FT  (Read 4666 times)
Whitehouse

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 03:55:50 PM

His warning is legit, but he is scaring people off bitcoin. I think new users should start off with a small amount of coins to learn and not avoid it completely.

I agree, though it was probably taken out of context and seems more alarming than it actually is, but like you say, his warning is relevant because if you don't know what you're doing you could easily lose your coins.

If you look closely, you can see the antennae with which he receives instruction from the CIA.

Hehe. Someone should draw them on the paper lol.

Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 04:20:44 PM

nice. gets the word out.  and the more you say 'don't...', the more they get curious.  Grin

Yah, I like the unsubtle "internet in 1994" connotations, and the way it might stimulate a new wave of computer savvy people, who haven't had bitcoin on their radar to think "Hmmmm, I have the skills to get into this before the crowd..."

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
Triffin

Activity: 952
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 04:31:13 PM

His warning is fair. 2015 is the year to make Bitcoin ironclad.

BTC is fine ..

Make the WALLET ironclad ..
All the security features are focused on foiling access to one's wallet ..
Gain access to a wallet and your coins are gone ..
There needs to be an additional security feature from within the
wallet to authorize/complete a transaction/transfer ..
Do that and mass adoption will follow ..

Triff ..

Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2217

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 04:55:40 PM

The ideal message should imo be "Give bitcoin a try, but don't put too much money in it".
+1

I don't get to write the headlines, though...

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 04:58:30 PM

The ideal message should imo be "Give bitcoin a try, but don't put too much money in it".
+1

Did u really say "Bitcoin is dangerous, avoid it" as is being discussed here (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=922041.0) ?

inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 05:23:32 PM

+1

Did u really say "Bitcoin is dangerous, avoid it" as is being discussed here (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=922041.0) ?

If you read through most his quotes in the article are quit sensible. The problem is the editors took him out of context:
Bitcoin is dangerous and people should steer away from using it. This is a bearish opinion held by many traditional investors, but not one you would expect from the man responsible for turning the virtual currency into a commodity worth billions.

Gavin never suggested people should stay away from it as insinuated by the editors but that non-technical people should avoid it. This may be going too far as well, because I advise all my non-technical friends to buy into bitcoin and store them with secure services that are insured and use muti-sig like circle and coinbase.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 05:25:26 PM

This is the most sensible thing I've heard anyone in a position of authority say about Bitcoin yet. I applaud Mr. Andresen for having the guts to say it. Someday, Bitcoin will be a magnificent tool to financially free the people of the world. However, someday isn't today. We can't allow our greed and personal desire for success to overpower logic and reason. The more people we invite to use Bitcoin today that are disappointed with the experience (for whatever reason) the fewer the number of users we will have tomorrow. Slow and steady wins the race. I'm sorry I ever believed you were just a puppet of the business community. That's obviously not true because they have to hate this viewpoint.

inBitweTrust

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 05:28:11 PM

This is the most sensible thing I've heard anyone in a position of authority say about Bitcoin yet. I applaud Mr. Andresen for having the guts to say it. Someday, Bitcoin will be a magnificent tool to financially free the people of the world. However, someday isn't today. We can't allow our greed and personal desire for success to overpower logic and reason. The more people we invite to use Bitcoin today that are disappointed with the experience (for whatever reason) the fewer the number of users we will have tomorrow. Slow and steady wins the race. I'm sorry I ever believed you were just a puppet of the business community. That's obviously not true because they have to hate this viewpoint.

Sensible , but too far possibly? What is wrong with suggesting non technical people to make a small investment with mutisig and insured services like circle and coinbase where they take on the security responsibilities?

My advice would be :
Diversify your investments and invest some into bitcoin. If you are technical use multisig paper wallets and/or hardware wallets and if you are non technical leave your BTC in circle or coinbase.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 05:32:52 PM

Sensible , but too far possibly? What is wrong with suggesting non technical people to make a small investment with mutisig and insured services like circle and coinbase where they take on the security responsibilities?

He didn't say don't use Bitcoin. The idea that Bitcoin is for people willing to take the risk and have enough knowledge to be sucessful needs to be presented.  All the businessmen want is expansive growth because profit hides there. Wise businessmen will realize that profit will be short lived.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 05:33:31 PM

This is the most sensible thing I've heard anyone in a position of authority say about Bitcoin yet. I applaud Mr. Andresen for having the guts to say it.  ...

+1.

It is for things such as this that when I hammer on Gavin, I try to remember to stipulate that I think he's probably a very decent guy.  It doesn't change the my strong belief that he is marvelously ill-equipped for the job of chief scientist or chief-almost-anything-else in this particular ecosystem.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
inBitweTrust

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 05:57:15 PM

He didn't say don't use Bitcoin. The idea that Bitcoin is for people willing to take the risk and have enough knowledge to be sucessful needs to be presented.  All the businessmen want is expansive growth because profit hides there. Wise businessmen will realize that profit will be short lived.

Actually, he did tell people not to use it unless they are technically proficient according to the article:

Quote from: Gavin Andresen
“It actually is dangerous and people should be aware it’s like the early internet,” he tells the Financial Times. “If you lived through time, you remember lots of press articles came out saying don’t give internet companies your credit card details. But the internet grew past that. Bitcoin will be the same way. Over time, I will stop saying to people, ‘Don’t use it unless you’re technically proficient enough to keep your computer secure’.”

I applaud him for his intentions and honesty but I would suggest this is going too far as I would be comfortable recommending my luddite mother invest a couple thousand on the side and store it in the insured multisig vault with coinbase. People should diversify their investments and that includes partially investing into Bitcoin.

P.S.... perhaps the author was quote mining him and left off the part where he recommended non-technical people to use regulated and insured mutisig solutions?

ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 06:06:30 PM

He's basically saying if you're not technically proficient, or have no clue how to secure your Bitcoins, don't use or get involved, period.  Don't see anything wrong with that.

He's saying don't go all-in on Bitcoin as an investment, hedge your bets, and wait for the technology and currency to mature out of it's development/beta phase.

Don't see the negative slant, but then again I'm a glass half full kinda of guy.   Cool

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
Flashman

Hodl!

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 06:10:42 PM

Bitcoin navigational insight, You are here .... Cheesy

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 06:18:14 PM

Quite the facial expression they have him locked in, looks shocked to say the least.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 06:26:29 PM

Actually, he did tell people not to use it unless they are technically proficient according to the article:

Quote from: Gavin Andresen
“It actually is dangerous and people should be aware it’s like the early internet,” he tells the Financial Times. “If you lived through time, you remember lots of press articles came out saying don’t give internet companies your credit card details. But the internet grew past that. Bitcoin will be the same way. Over time, I will stop saying to people, ‘Don’t use it unless you’re technically proficient enough to keep your computer secure’.”

I applaud him for his intentions and honesty but I would suggest this is going too far as I would be comfortable recommending my luddite mother invest a couple thousand on the side and store it in the insured multisig vault with coinbase. People should diversify their investments and that includes partially investing into Bitcoin.

P.S.... perhaps the author was quote mining him and left off the part where he recommended non-technical people to use regulated and insured mutisig solutions?

You just clarified what I said. Currently, Bitcoin is not for the faint of heart investor playing with tomorrow's morgage payment. It's not for world travelers that need to ensure they have enough money to safely travel. It's not for going to the grocery store with three kids in tow. It's an experiment that hopefully will lead to all of the above someday. When you get screwed by a company they will likely lose your business forever and you will give a negative report on that company to everyone that asks about them. Why should anyone want Bitcoin to suffer the same fate? Tell them the truth now and they will trust you tomorrow.

inBitweTrust

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 06:35:28 PM

You just clarified what I said. Currently, Bitcoin is not for the faint of heart investor playing with tomorrow's morgage payment. It's not for world travelers that need to ensure they have enough money to safely travel. It's not for going to the grocery store with three kids in tow. It's an experiment that hopefully will lead to all of the above someday. When you get screwed by a company they will likely lose your business forever and you will give a negative report on that company to everyone that asks about them. Why should anyone want Bitcoin to suffer the same fate? Tell them the truth now and they will trust you tomorrow.

I think the problem is not with what Gavin said but the way he was quote mined and editorialized. Hopefully, he doesn't suggest non technical people shouldn't have 50 usd of btc on their cell phone and a couple grand(if they have other investments) in an insured multi-sig wallet like circle or coinbase.

MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 06:40:43 PM

I think the problem is not with what Gavin said but the way he was quote mined and editorialized. Hopefully, he doesn't suggest non technical people shouldn't have 50 usd of btc on their cell phone and a couple grand(if they have other investments) in an insured multi-sig wallet like circle or coinbase.
I'm not sure how much distillation of technical material you've had to do for traditional media, but the discussion of how to protect a small amount of BTC using multi-sig technology on an insure service is the kind of thing that ends up on the cutting room floor. Gavin could probably have given an hour of material on security best practices to the reporter and the article would look no different than it does now.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 06:42:21 PM

That wasn't the impression I got when I read it. I just saw it as a warning that people should hold off for now if they have any doubt about their abilities, financial or technical. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 08:24:44 PM

...people should be aware that's like the early Internet...

Best thing I've read this month!
If BTC could enjoy the same growth as the Internet, this would be a dream. Still, it's true it's quite shaky right now, but there are many investors looking for wild, promising, high risk and possibly high return investments.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Flashman

Hodl!

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 08:55:54 PM

Bitcoin navigational insight #2, we are also here...

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/08/10/business/business-technology-doubts-raised-on-number-of-internet-users.html

as in "OMG it's completely overhyped, there's nowhere near as many regular users as the optimists say, it's just not taking off as fast as it should, it sorta works, but there's so much more to be done...."

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: