Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 07:33:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "Bitcoin is dangerous, avoid it" - Gavin Andresen  (Read 3525 times)
NotHatinJustTrollin (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 107

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 03:36:59 PM

His words:

NotHatinJustTrollin (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 03:47:45 PM

how about using this dropping coin with a trezor?

If you gotta lose money, at least do it safely.

Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3570
Merit: 5043

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 03:56:53 PM

One more example of how Bitcoin Foundation members continue to absolutely suck at PR, and continue putting their foot in their mouths.  They should all just stop talking to the press.

Bitcoins are not "dangerous" in any way.  Not even for Grandma, if she manages them right.
btcney

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 03:58:59 PM

Gavin seems to be the most reasonable Bitcoin dev.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 04:00:15 PM

One more example of how Bitcoin Foundation members continue to absolutely suck at PR, and continue putting their foot in their mouths.  They should all just stop talking to the press.

Bitcoins are not "dangerous" in any way.  Not even for Grandma, if she manages them right.
You funny. Cheesy
Torque
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 04:03:59 PM

One more example of how Bitcoin Foundation members continue to absolutely suck at PR, and continue putting their foot in their mouths.  They should all just stop talking to the press.

You funny. Cheesy

In 20 years, the 60-year-old Grandma then would have been the 40-year-old extremely tech/computer/smartphone savvy person of today (that's probably already buying btc).  So I think the Grandmas and Grandpas of the future will be just fine with Bitcoin.
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 04:04:27 PM

His words:

Its reverse psychology would it stop you getting involved in bitcoin?  
riiiiising

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 04:29:33 PM

One more example of how Bitcoin Foundation members continue to absolutely suck at PR, and continue putting their foot in their mouths.  They should all just stop talking to the press.

You funny. Cheesy

In 20 years, the 60-year-old Grandma then would have been the 40-year-old extremely tech/computer/smartphone savvy person of today (that's probably already buying btc).  So I think the Grandmas and Grandpas of the future will be just fine with Bitcoin.

Just because 20 something year old millennials can make phone calls and open the facebook app on their smart phones does not mean they're ready for something like bitcoin, which requires the creation of offline wallets to keep even reasonably safe. They also need the knowledge and foresight to check, double check, and triple check a vendor or third party service before entrusting their holdings to them. I know several young men who work in the fields of network security and firewall engineering who would probably need days to figure it all out.

So again, it's the elephant in the room. Why would anyone outside the cultists hobbyists ever want to use bitcoin in the first place...?

▆▆▆ ▅▅▅ ▃▃▃ ▂▂▂ W H A L E  M A K E R  ▂▂▂ ▃▃▃ ▅▅▅ ▆▆▆
⚫ ⚫ ⚫  A  F U N D R A I S I N G  P L A T F O R M  F O R  M A S S I V E  D I S R U P T I O N  ⚫ ⚫ ⚫
▬▬▬▬▬   ANN Thread      Oceanpaper      Twitter      Telegram   ▬▬▬▬▬
Torque
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 04:39:07 PM

Just because 20 something year old millennials can make phone calls and open the facebook app on their smart phones does not mean they're ready for something like bitcoin....

Yeah, it's not like this group comprises 80-90% of today's retail bitcoin purchase or anything.   Roll Eyes

...which requires the creation of offline wallets to keep even reasonably safe.

No it doesn't.  Quit trollin'.
NotHatinJustTrollin (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 04:47:39 PM

The question is not "Is bitcoin too difficult to use for the average joe and gramdma?".
The question is: "why would they want to use it in the first place"?

Cry

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 04:54:43 PM

they are trying to makes the price fall to buy cheap coin, i an't see other reason for all those bullshit against bitcoin
jbrnt

Activity: 672

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 04:58:12 PM

Gavin issued a warning to those who are not so tech savy to avoid using bitcoin until they know how to secure their own computer. This is a fair comment. We should not over react by saying bitcoin is dangerous.
grappa_barricata

Activity: 154

playing pasta and eating mandolinos

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 05:01:32 PM

This is mere sensationalism by piss-poor "journalists" and the retarded echo chamber of "social media".

Fortune cannot take away what she has not given.
Torque
Legendary

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 05:07:12 PM

Gavin issued a warning to those who are not so tech savy to avoid using bitcoin until they know how to secure their own computer. This is a fair comment. We should not over react by saying bitcoin is dangerous.

If the news author's exact quote is correct, then Gavin did use the word "dangerous" to describe Bitcoin.  If Gavin didn't mean this, then he should learn to choose his words more carefully.
riiiiising

Activity: 336

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 05:10:52 PM

Yeah, it's not like this group comprises 80-90% of today's retail bitcoin purchase or anything.   Roll Eyes

Because a small group of nerdy, white or asian men are interested in bitcoin because they hope to get rich from it... this means that in 40 years everyone will be using bitcoin? That's quite a leap in logic. Again, what incentive do the masses have to adopt it? And why would they bother to go through the trouble to learn how to use it and buy the hardware and undergo the necessary training to learn how to secure it?

Most 20 year olds use the same password for most of their online presence and are mostly naive to all the attack vectors hackers can employ to compromise their computers. You think they know what a drive by download is or how it works? What incentive do they have to move from a regulated bank -- where their money is secure -- to a a wild west where even the exchanges themselves can't protect their coins?

No it doesn't.  Quit trollin'.

With such articulate reasoning, I'm sure the masses will be won over soon.  Huh How do you advise people store their coins then, if offline isn't necessary?

▆▆▆ ▅▅▅ ▃▃▃ ▂▂▂ W H A L E  M A K E R  ▂▂▂ ▃▃▃ ▅▅▅ ▆▆▆
⚫ ⚫ ⚫  A  F U N D R A I S I N G  P L A T F O R M  F O R  M A S S I V E  D I S R U P T I O N  ⚫ ⚫ ⚫
▬▬▬▬▬   ANN Thread      Oceanpaper      Twitter      Telegram   ▬▬▬▬▬
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 05:12:45 PM

True but for the wrong reason.
The issue isn't securing the wallet.

The issue is people that hold bitcoin will lose all value.
I think that's what he's really warning for, just obscured.

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
Dilla

Activity: 588

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 05:16:08 PM

Thread title is extremely misleading to his message.
jbrnt

Activity: 672

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 05:19:06 PM

If the news author's exact quote is correct, then Gavin did use the word "dangerous" to describe Bitcoin.  If Gavin didn't mean this, then he should learn to choose his words more carefully.

Jornalists like to create drama. I think Gavin was referring to bitcoin being "dangerous" for ordinary people who are not comfortable with computers. We know how easy it is for new users to loose coins to hackers and scams.
Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 3435
Merit: 4369

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 05:19:31 PM

I want to read the ''Analysis page 16''
mlferro

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 05:33:09 PM

If the news author's exact quote is correct, then Gavin did use the word "dangerous" to describe Bitcoin.  If Gavin didn't mean this, then he should learn to choose his words more carefully.

Jornalists like to create drama. I think Gavin was referring to bitcoin being "dangerous" for ordinary people who are not comfortable with computers. We know how easy it is for new users to loose coins to hackers and scams.
may be, it makes sense. It is certainly very easy to lose bitcoins when there is no good familiarity with computers and internet

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: