Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:57:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost bitcoins - horror stories, estimates, and predictions  (Read 3182 times)
Roger_Murdock (OP)

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 12:28:04 AM
Last edit: July 08, 2012, 11:17:51 PM by Roger_Murdock

21,000,000 is the theoretical limit for the number of bitcoins that will ever be in circulation.  But it's not the actual limit. Bitcoins have already been lost. As in lost forever. And more of them will be lost.  I'm wondering how often that occurs and how many coins have been lost.  And at what rate they will be lost in the future.  It seems logical to assume that the greatest loss period was when the currency was very new and not worth very much. How many people with brain wallets (and only brain wallets) are going to die with no one else knowing their code? How many people are going to forget their brain wallet code? How many people will have a hard drive crash without any kind of backup?  How many tiny balances have been given out to people through bitcoinfaucet (or similar sites) who will lose interest and not bother to maintain the records of those tiny balances?  Also does anyone have any horror stories of permanently losing large balances to share?  Any bleeding-edge early adopters who lost interest before bitcoin took off and didn't bother to secure their coins? Curious to hear your thoughts and stories. Thanks!

UPDATE: If this comment bothers you because you view it as a wasteful and unnecessary "copy" of previous threads on the subject of lost coins, try thinking of it instead as a "fork" that borrows heavily from past efforts but adds beneficial new features. In fact, my guess is that within 6 months this will be the definitive thread on lost coins.  If you hurry, your reply could be on page 1! Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 12:35:18 AM

The bitcoins lost are irrelevant to anything and everything.

Also consider using the search function before making a new thread.. It doesn't go a week by that someone doesn't start a thread on this exact topic, no exaggeration, others can confirm.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 12:52:31 AM

Also consider using the search function before making a new thread.. It doesn't go a week by that someone doesn't start a thread on this exact topic, no exaggeration, others can confirm.

They aren't irrelevant to the people who lost them.

This isn't one of those "OMG, people will lose coins and it will ruin Bitcoin" posts. He just wants to hear personal stories.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Roger_Murdock (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 12:52:55 AM

Er... except my curiosity. I understand that they're not a "problem" and are irrelevant from that perspective. But they will have an effect on the value of remaining non-lost coins.

Sorry if my post is duplicative. I actually did run a quick search but didn't see anything that addressed my specific interests.  
MaxSan

Activity: 369

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 11:05:39 AM

I have sent a few mili bits to people and had them lost, a friend of theirs deleted bitcoin spinner from the phone. My friend has around 25BTC in blockchain.info that I think he will be missing a password too for some reason.

jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 12:48:30 PM

I was testing the layout of the 'Send Confirm' dialog in Multibit in various languages to check there was enough space. Russian is great for testing as the words are so long.

Anyhow I clicked on the Russian for send (oтпpaвлять) rather than cancel (oтмeнить) and actually sent the bitcoin. Production network : not test.   

Oops.

Fortunately it was only 100 millis and the address was someone's donation address.

I put icons on the buttons so that I would not do it again.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
ensign_lee

Activity: 886
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 04:28:03 PM

I would bet by the time the last bitocin is mined, about 50% of the all bitcoins will have been lost forever to wallets nobody can access anymore.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 04:42:56 PM

I would bet by the time the last bitocin is mined, about 50% of the all bitcoins will have been lost forever to wallets nobody can access anymore.

That is kind of an interesting thought. 

I've lost about .25BTC. I had a wallet on a virtual machine and had to restore it, but something happened (can't recall what exactly) and had some difficulties bringing it back up.  For some reason my balance was .25BTC less than it should have. 

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 04:48:13 PM

Curious to hear your thoughts and stories. Thanks!

Here's a thread including some reports of lost coins:

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7253.0

And this is an interesting read:

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=26539.0

And, the three largest claims of lost / destroyed coins:

- Bitomat.pl lost when wallet was on an Amazon EC2 instance with no permanent storage
 - Stefan Thomas' loss
 - Mt. Gox loss due to bug in custom code

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=83794.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Roger_Murdock (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 07:18:30 PM

Somewhat related question: is anybody relying on a brain wallet only and planning on taking their coins with them if they get hit by a bus?
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 09:26:28 PM

The search function absolutely sucks - until that is remedied I think we're just stuck with people starting new threads about frequently asked questions.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 10:22:38 PM

The search function absolutely sucks - until that is remedied I think we're just stuck with people starting new threads about frequently asked questions.
google.com
site:bitcointalk.org <search string>

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 11:06:25 PM

We should probably sticky that somewhere.  Most regulars of any messageboard know that you can search it through Google but newbies are often unaware of that.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 11:11:14 PM

We should probably sticky that somewhere.  Most regulars of any messageboard know that you can search it through Google but newbies are often unaware of that.

The search works fine. People are just lazy...
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 11:30:08 PM

I think part of the problem is that people don't know that if you are in a subforum and search only that subforum is searched.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 11:54:37 PM

I think part of the problem is that people don't know that if you are in a subforum and search only that subforum is searched.
Pressing the "Search" link on the header to take me to search page and choosing on which forums to search works pretty well for me.
garyrowe

Activity: 198
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2012, 12:07:40 PM

I thought I'd lost a few bitcoins when my Android phone died on me. Luckily I was able to recover them. As part of the learning exercise I thought I'd document how it was done to help the community: http://gary-rowe.com/agilestack/2011/12/28/how-to-recover-lost-bitcoins-from-an-android-wallet/

To be fair, though, Bitcoin as a protocol could operate with a single bitcoin and a lot of decimal places.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 12:55:38 PM

I thought I'd lost a few bitcoins when my Android phone died on me. Luckily I was able to recover them. As part of the learning exercise I thought I'd document how it was done to help the community: http://gary-rowe.com/agilestack/2011/12/28/how-to-recover-lost-bitcoins-from-an-android-wallet/

To be fair, though, Bitcoin as a protocol could operate with a single bitcoin and a lot of decimal places.
That's great man. Thanks for taking the time to document this.   Smiley

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
nimda

Activity: 784

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 04:53:20 PM

I was using blockchain.info, created an address, and did a withdraw to it from MtGox. Unfortunately, the address never synced, so now 0.007 BTC is gone for good Cry
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: