Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:05:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If Paycoin Succeeds, It Could Be More Dangerous Than If It Fails...  (Read 1493 times)
Coin Brief (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 06:57:12 PM

It took me over a week to put this together, and I am sure there are mistakes in it.  Paycoin becoming successful could be very dangerous, as it is the first time I have witnessed a currency that is quasi-decentralized with the potential to appeal to the banking sector.  If this thing actually takes off, it could truly take over...and it doesn't even need the majority of the cryptocurrency community to do it.

Anyway, I highly suggest that people read over this, and take it seriously.  I know many people think GAW is a joke, and Paycoin is a scam...which is quite possible.  However, it is also possible that they have supporters with deep pockets (explaining the willingness to do things that are unprofitable in the short term).  If Paycoin is even moderately successful, it will be an extremely powerful proof of concept to use to get financial institutions onboard.

I'm posting this here, in the Bitcoin Discussion forum, as I feel like this is a danger to Bitcoin.  I have no idea what to do to stop it, but maybe someone that has written GAW off as 100% scam, or has just ignored Paycoin, will consider this possibility and think of something to prevent this if it begins.
commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 07:53:35 PM

Bitcoin needs a good shove and Paycoin just needs to be quarantined from what I've seen. If Paycoin succeeds, we'll risk the cryptocurrency community being split into two camps: the Bitcoin camp and the Paycoin camp.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 07:56:22 PM

Pretty sure its already been established that Josh is planning to break TOS for Amazon and other companies in order to "integrate" his solution.

This is a far cry from having a "partnership" with those companies.

Invest at your own risk.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 08:04:07 PM

Paycoin will fail, but will be another blight upon our cryptocurrency eco-system stealing millions from naive investors.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=900970.0

kamudimana

Activity: 30

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 08:43:58 PM

That's how business works Cheesy
If the community splits into two, the Bitcoin will always be the most crowded, as Bitcoin is the mother-coin, so i think there's nothing to worry about
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 08:51:01 PM

Isn't Paycoin attached to the hip to the scam operation GAWMiners and Josh Garza:

http://www.coindesk.com/gaw-miners-paycoin-disappearing-20-floor/

I don't think the community would put it's support behind a Scumcoin if they knew who backed it.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 09:09:59 PM

Altcoin Scamcoin threads should be on the alt-coin forum...

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 09:11:34 PM

Its the latest pump and dump, been around 5 minutes, would need to see more alive time before we can take it serious.
picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 09:51:03 PM

Bitcoin discussion? It's more an altcoin discussion, isn't it?

Paycoin is a contestant but its odds of succeeding are very slim.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 11:09:22 PM

That's how business works Cheesy
If the community splits into two, the Bitcoin will always be the most crowded, as Bitcoin is the mother-coin, so i think there's nothing to worry about

Denarios Mater

Unless one wants to develop an ADM (Alma Denarios Mater).
ncsupanda
Legendary

Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 11:13:28 PM

I have yet to meet a backer of Paycoin that seems truly confident.

With that being said, this still ought to be moved to the altcoin section.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=67.0
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 11:46:54 PM

If PayScam is any threat to Bitcoin, then shame on BTC.
On second thought, the banking industry is so corrupt, they might love something as vile as XPY.

virtfund

Activity: 672
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 12:22:37 AM

GAW is screwing everyone, including big corporations. That is why I'm not too worried about XPY.
theomoplatapus

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 12:31:35 AM

I've considered this as well and at this point I think this is a much more likely possibility than the whole thing being a scam.  When in doubt, follow the big money.  Oh well, might as well ride with them for the time being.

#Bitcoin
Coin Brief (OP)

Activity: 51

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2015, 01:23:46 AM

Isn't Paycoin attached to the hip to the scam operation GAWMiners and Josh Garza:

http://www.coindesk.com/gaw-miners-paycoin-disappearing-20-floor/

I don't think the community would put it's support behind a Scumcoin if they knew who backed it.

Well, I don't think it will actually win the support of the cryptocurrency community.  The worry is that it will do well enough to function as a "Proof of Concept" tobring in large financial firms.  It is a coin that is truly built to fit with the way banks, and other financial institutions, operate today...but not in a good way.

Maybe I'm worrying over nothing, and this is all just a scam that will collapse on itself.  Then again, if I am right, it could be the start of a war with the "Bankcoin", and it could have a marketcap higher than all other digital currencies combined with a single big player deciding to adopt, package, and sell it in the mainstream.  I would say clone it, so they can change some issues it has...but it is already built to allow any group with a 2/3rds majority of Prime Controllers to change the way it functions.
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 01:27:41 AM

htf could paycoin succeed, only a community full of idiots would adopt it.....oh wait....... Embarrassed
Sir Alpha_goy

Activity: 448

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 01:35:03 AM
Last edit: December 12, 2015, 02:34:54 PM by Sir Alpha_goy

Sir Alpha_goy

Activity: 448

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 01:42:03 AM
Last edit: December 12, 2015, 02:35:08 PM by Sir Alpha_goy

SockPuppetAccount

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

MiG Messenger - earn while chatting

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2015, 01:55:32 AM

On launch day, Paycoin broke and the blockchain got stuck.  Mining was put on hold for a day while it was fixed.  Seems like pretty amateur work for a supposedly revolutionary new coin backed by millions of dollars of investment.  You'd expect any possible bugs to be ironed out in testnet long before launch.

Hybrid Flex Blockchain?  Whatever that means, nothing of it is in there. Paycoin is just another PPC clone.  Nothing unique or revolutionary about it.

There was a massive security breach on Paybase the day it launched.  Again, more evidence of the amateur nature of the project.

Has anyone read this shit?  https://paybase.com/paysave-faq  Paysave.  Literally the stupidest most fucktarded shit I have laid eyes on in ages.  It's a Chrome extension that just orders shit for you from a different store if it is cheaper elsewhere.  You won't even know where your stuff is coming from before it gets to you.  Oh and right now it only works on Macy's, Wal-Mart, and Target.  It has a grand total of 3 merchants it actually works on.  If you could just add a few dozen THOUSAND or so more merchants, this would be a marginally beneficial feature for people who don't know how to search for the shit they want in google to find the lowest price.

Stripe cancelled Paybase for violating their terms of service.  All this time to prepare, and they launch their credit card processor and essentially give the message "Psssst.....Hey guys, you can buy Paycoin with your credit card now.  But you can't buy too much at a time!  We gots to keep this shit on the down low!".

Numerous statements from Josh about the banks and analysts and investors who used a mysterious calculation to determine that a clone coin with zero infrastructure or merchant acceptance was somehow worth AT LEAST $20.  Of course the calculations used to come up with this figure, and the mysterious banks, analysts, and investors have never stepped forward.

The branding, logo, and aesthetics of the coin and paybase and related sites are also extremely generic, and show that little time was wasted on crafting a product that felt unique.  Going on paybase.com feels like a mash-up of paypal and coinbase.  I suppose all the big investors couldn't spare more money to hire a decent team of graphic designers.

What is my point?  I have zero fear that Paycoin is going anywhere but down because no one beyond the niche culture of alt-coins would take this coin seriously.  It is so clearly an amateur shit show from head to toe.  I have no fear this will appeal to the banking sector or any real investment firm because the entire thing is a massive joke and an utter failure.  

Josh Garza is just a stupid kid who was in the right place at the right time to service the needs of miners during the scrypt ASIC boom, and he did that well.  I still have a couple of Black Widows hashing away to this day.  He got greedy, and wanted to be a bigger player.  You don't get to be a big shot though if you lack the creativity, inspiration, and brains to do it. 
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 02:26:01 AM

You don't get to be a big shot though if you lack the creativity, inspiration, and brains to do it. 

here its easy though, you don't need much of any of that to take a packet from the get rich quick crowd.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: