Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:34:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin recovery. FREE BITCOIN just for knowing what you're doing...  (Read 1177 times)
olinader (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 08, 2012, 09:14:49 PM

Hello brilliant bitcoin people. My computer was recently destroyed (as in smashed, useless). Luckily, i had the foresight to backup my bitcoin wallet using the backup feature on bitcoin.qt. It gave me a file called bitbackup.dat which i have on a thumb drive.
That's all well and good but I don't know what python is or how to use this file to recover my lost bitcoins. the wiki suggests reinstalling, then replacing the wallet.dat file with with my backup file. this didn't do anything.

I only have about 12 bitcoin in that wallet, but it would be nice to get them back. so if anyone will tell me how to use that file to recover my old wallet, i'll gladly send half of the bitcoins in my lost wallet to you as a gracious thank you.

FREE BITCOINS FOR YOUR EXPERTISE!!! please include your address in the reply.
-olinader

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TangibleCryptography

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Tangible Cryptography LLC

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2012, 09:43:41 PM

The backup.dat is simply a copy of your wallet.dat renamed to backup.dat.

You need to rename the backup.dat to wallet.dat and put it in the bitcoin data folder.  
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Data_directory

If there is a new (empty) wallet.dat already there delete it.  If bitcoin runs and no wallet.dat exists it creates a new empty one.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 02:32:26 AM

Hello brilliant bitcoin people. My computer was recently destroyed (as in smashed, useless). Luckily, i had the foresight to backup my bitcoin wallet using the backup feature on bitcoin.qt. It gave me a file called bitbackup.dat which i have on a thumb drive.
That's all well and good but I don't know what python is or how to use this file to recover my lost bitcoins. the wiki suggests reinstalling, then replacing the wallet.dat file with with my backup file. this didn't do anything.

I only have about 12 bitcoin in that wallet, but it would be nice to get them back. so if anyone will tell me how to use that file to recover my old wallet, i'll gladly send half of the bitcoins in my lost wallet to you as a gracious thank you.

FREE BITCOINS FOR YOUR EXPERTISE!!! please include your address in the reply.
-olinader

Steps: (I am assuming you use windows)
1. Rename bitbackup.dat to wallet.dat.
2. Install Bitcoin client from here: http://bitcoin.org/
3. Run bitcoin client for the first time, and either
    a)wait for it to download the blockchain
    b) Download " bitcoin_blockchain_170000.zip" from bitcoin_blockchain_170000.zip, and unzip to '%APPDATA%\Bitcoin' (open a     new "my computer' page and paste that in the address bar.), restart bitcoin client, and wait for it to update.
4. After the blockchain is fully downloaded,shut down bitcoin client, copy and replace the old wallet.dat (in the %APPDATA%\Bitcoin) with the new wallet.dat(originally bitbackup.dat)
5. Restart Bitcoin client.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 02:55:04 AM

b) Download " bitcoin_blockchain_170000.zip" from bitcoin_blockchain_170000.zip, and unzip to '%APPDATA%\Bitcoin' (open a     new "my computer' page and paste that in the address bar.), restart bitcoin client, and wait for it to update.
4. After the blockchain is fully downloaded,shut down bitcoin client, copy and replace the old wallet.dat (in the %APPDATA%\Bitcoin) with the new wallet.dat(originally bitbackup.dat)

It is not necessary to have the blockchain up to date before restoring a wallet backup. Just rename bitbackup.dat to wallet.dat, copy it to your Bitcoin data directory (overwriting the empty wallet.dat if one exists), then start Bitcoin. The coins will show up immediately, but will be displayed as unconfirmed until the blockchain is downloaded.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 03:01:18 AM

It is not necessary to have the blockchain up to date before restoring a wallet backup. Just rename bitbackup.dat to wallet.dat, copy it to your Bitcoin data directory (overwriting the empty wallet.dat if one exists), then start Bitcoin. The coins will show up immediately, but will be displayed as unconfirmed until the blockchain is downloaded.
It's just a matter of what you want to do first as either route would have the same result.  Wink
olinader (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 05:58:24 AM

first post had it. and he didn't leave a receiving address. thanks for the information.
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 09, 2012, 11:33:32 PM

first post had it. and he didn't leave a receiving address. thanks for the information.

Well gee! I'll take some BTC for having the same idea.

16ejjWVoDi8vx8QwDq5PX6ipyJPx8rPu4j

just kidding! Happy you got your bitcoins back! I know what it's like to loose bitcoin. Sad

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 07:44:07 AM

One way of thanking him might be to check out the services in his signature. You don't need to use them, but at least check them out so you can have them in mind.

hood90s

Activity: 9

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 05:38:19 PM

does anyone store theirs in a safe deposit box?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: